Retiring at sea

A couple of years ago Snopes posted an article about this:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/my-retirement-plan/

Whilst long term cruising may (or may not) be a viable alternative for moving into a retirement village (ILU = Independant Living Unit) I do not believe a cruise ship can substitute for those who need to be in care.

I work in the aged care industry and see people who need assistance with managing their medication and all sorts of ADLs (Activities of Daily Living such as showering, combing their hair, getting dressed, etc, etc, etc). And don’t get me started on incontinance! Some of my residents can’t find their way to the dining room or their own room even though they have lived in the facility for over 12 months! I’ve encountered some great staff on cruise ships over the years but they are not available to give the sort of assistance that some older people require.

With regards to price, the Australian government has implemented a "user pays" system for aged care. Whilst a cruise may be cheaper for the wealthy, those with assets under about $48,000 currently only pay the equivalent of 85% of the aged pension. I don’t see any cruises for $50/day.

Also, 20 years is a long time. While we may be fit and healthy today, that can change quickly and often does for the elderly.

Just some food for though. :cool:

They are crucial issues.

A ship won’t care for you when you need real care.

I read it more in line with the 55+ retirement villages. Places for the relatively well to retire, but not in need of ongoing care. However, looking at a plan online, the suite had no kitchen — not my ideal.

We all know that going from relatively healthy to very unwell can happen quickly (Tuesday night 3 weeks ago, we need to operate on Thursday). But that can happen at any age, and there are onboard facilities to service.

On floating nursing home, I would not even conceive.

Of course, their business is to sell vacations. But organisations like Dialysis at Sea add care to the vacation. There could more like those.

Yep they provide a great service.

Probably needs to be a chemo at sea too.

Haven’t needed either myself but at one stage was on some powerful drugs, antibiotics and pain treatment, both intravenous both would have been way more pleasant if I’d been able to have them watching the sea go by rather than in a cold, boring room in a hospital

Yep they provide a great service.

Probably needs to be a chemo at sea too.

Haven’t needed either myself but at one stage was on some powerful drugs, antibiotics and pain treatment, both intravenous both would have been way more pleasant if I’d been able to have them watching the sea go by rather than in a cold, boring room in a hospital

Besides dialysis, unfortunately, Google actually hasn't got much. On two cruises we met the same sweet woman taking care of her mother suffering from dementia. The mother obviously loved being at sea, and at the same time got worried a few times that if this was really the last night of the cruise asked why didn't the taxi show up yet.

It would certainly need educated nurses, and a lot of crew who can handle guests getting angry because the taxi is not there yet. Compared to Shady Pines, a cruise is better,

A couple of years ago Snopes posted an article about this:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/my-retirement-plan/

Whilst long term cruising may (or may not) be a viable alternative for moving into a retirement village (ILU = Independant Living Unit) I do not believe a cruise ship can substitute for those who need to be in care.

I work in the aged care industry and see people who need assistance with managing their medication and all sorts of ADLs (Activities of Daily Living such as showering, combing their hair, getting dressed, etc, etc, etc). And don’t get me started on incontinance! Some of my residents can’t find their way to the dining room or their own room even though they have lived in the facility for over 12 months! I’ve encountered some great staff on cruise ships over the years but they are not available to give the sort of assistance that some older people require.

With regards to price, the Australian government has implemented a "user pays" system for aged care. Whilst a cruise may be cheaper for the wealthy, those with assets under about $48,000 currently only pay the equivalent of 85% of the aged pension. I don’t see any cruises for $50/day.

Also, 20 years is a long time. While we may be fit and healthy today, that can change quickly and often does for the elderly.

Just some food for though. :cool:

If someone is needing care then a cruise ship is unsuitable for that sort of living, hence that is why I suspect they quoted the 20 years of retirement. prior to needing the care that a nursing home may deliver.

It is not for everyone, but for many it seems to work. Two links from within last year or so both quoting and talking about people living full time on a cruise ship. Fro those who say what happens when to ill to be on a cruise ship I would say a few things.

First what happens when you live alone on land and become to sick? You go to a assisted living place so what is the difference? But I believe in the market place, if move and more people choose to retire on cruise ships, the services offered to them will become greater. Anyone here about wifi on cruise ships 20 years ago? But today it is standard and found on every ship. The market will move to cover the needs.

USA Today saying under $40,000 per yer per person. And saying straight out cheaper than assisted living.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/retirement/2017/10/06/is-cruise-ship-living-a-cheaper-option-for-seniors-than-assisted-living/106265900/

Fox News Story saying under $36000 a year and quoting a memebr of the senior staff of this site saying: "A genuine bargain would be between $50-75...."

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2017/04/24/why-living-on-cruise-ship-is-cheaper-than-think.html

And then look at Super Mario (google him) 20 plus years living on Royal and seems to love it. Crystal, Princess and Seaborn also have full time passengers. It is a market that is being more popular.

That’s different than what some people I’ve met who are doing it said, now was it just their agents or the line, t9 be frank I don’t ask any more than they volunteer in general chatting.

I could see some agents discounting cause you spend e.g. 100k+ with them, which is a lot for a smaller business.

Cruise lines sell the cabins anyway though so they don't discount. E.g. Super Mario on RCL just makes bookings onboard and gets the standard incentives e.g. free cruise every x as per the loyalty program.

Cruise lines sell the cabins anyway though so they don't discount. E.g. Super Mario on RCL just makes bookings onboard and gets the standard incentives e.g. free cruise every x as per the loyalty program.

Yes he does but lists a travel agent who goes through them all and tracks fares. If the agent gets a better rate then re-books for him. I believe he books first on the ship to make sure he always has space.

And with his level he gets upgrades, free cruises, and discounts offered on the single supplement. My understanding is he spends a total of $65,000 to $70,000 per year, cruise ship, airlines, entertainment. Which seems like a very reasonable number.

Yes he does but lists a travel agent who goes through them all and tracks fares. If the agent gets a better rate then re-books for him. I believe he books first on the ship to make sure he always has space.

And with his level he gets upgrades, free cruises, and discounts offered on the single supplement. My understanding is he spends a total of $65,000 to $70,000 per year, cruise ship, airlines, entertainment. Which seems like a very reasonable number.

Of course he works it with all that experience, and travel.

But the thing is he isn't getting cruise line discounts just because of the number of cruises he books (aside from standard loyalty benefits).

Of course he works it with all that experience, and travel.

But the thing is he isn't getting cruise line discounts just because of the number of cruises he books (aside from standard loyalty benefits).

Many ways to get extras, the ships themselves have get power, the Hotel Director can give passengers complimentary extras, drink packages, dinning upgrades, and cabin upgrades then the ship sales with empty cabins. He has said in interviews he turns down many cabin upgrades because he likes his cabin.

Simple truth is he gets extras, and he should based upon living on the ship year round. maybe not coming directly from Corporate but they know about it and approve of these things. Every interview he gives is worth more than the value of a cruise in free advertising. to Royal.

If Royal knows anything it is the value of good PR and how to use it.

Many ways to get extras, the ships themselves have get power, the Hotel Director can give passengers complimentary extras, drink packages, dinning upgrades, and cabin upgrades then the ship sales with empty cabins. He has said in interviews he turns down many cabin upgrades because he likes his cabin.

Simple truth is he gets extras, and he should based upon living on the ship year round. maybe not coming directly from Corporate but they know about it and approve of these things. Every interview he gives is worth more than the value of a cruise in free advertising. to Royal.

I think that he would be working the system from every angle to maximise his perks and benefits and minimise the costs, the Cruise line, the TA and the actual staff aboard the ship that know him well.

The travel insurance is not cheap. I met someone doing a 3 months cruise. With age and pre existing conditions they paid over $10,000 on travel insurance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Must have been some policy, I suppose you could lower those costs by making sure you are back every 60 days.:D

From Facebook

He gets free internet onboard due to his loyalty level and he runs an online investment management business, working from his laptop in a corner table of the ship that has a cardboard with the words “Super Mario’s Office” written on it

So he’s not retired

From Facebook

He gets free internet onboard due to his loyalty level and he runs an online investment management business, working from his laptop in a corner table of the ship that has a cardboard with the words “Super Mario’s Office” written on it

So he’s not retired

That’s right.

From Facebook

So he’s not retired

I suppose not if that is the case.

Yes... but extras aren't a discount for multiple bookings, so doesn't change the point.