Blue Kay

pathi

Has anybody walked here from the port? From the pictures, it looks pretty close by.

It can be done - see this link, which includes another link?

https://ahhhmahahual.com/2016/01/11/how-to-transport-from-the-costa-maya-port-into-the-town-of-mahahual/

Not far if you are mobile but generally too hot for most people to bother. Years back when you could walk along the coast many people did it but now you have to go by road.

• 2 weeks later...

1st time cruisers heading on royal caribbean to costa maya in march looking at day on beach do we need to reserve or just exit port get taxi to blue kay. Just want to swim light lunch couple beers mojitos etc . is it complicated. How much time do you need to be back on ship docks 7am to 4pm thanks from wet cold Ireland

1st time cruisers heading on royal caribbean to costa maya in march looking at day on beach do we need to reserve or just exit port get taxi to blue kay. Just want to swim light lunch couple beers mojitos etc . is it complicated. How much time do you need to be back on ship docks 7am to 4pm thanks from wet cold Ireland

Very easy to get a cab and no reservation needed at Blue Kay. We had a good time and will be returning in December.

Has anybody walked here from the port? From the pictures, it looks pretty close by.

I guess my question is....why? It's only like $2-3 for a ride and be there in about 6 min. Why waste time walking to save a couple of bucks? Or do you just enjoy walking that much? If you do, there's nothing to see along the way.

No need to reserve. Just show up and pick a seat and they will come over.

It's a 6 min drive and traffic is VERY light at this port so you can stay pretty long with no worries of getting back.

• 2 weeks later...
Ships from our local port haven’t been going to Costa Maya for several years. It has been at least 4 years since we visited and last time we went to Maya Chan. It has been many, many years since we went to the Malecon. Suddenly we find we are visiting twice in the space of a month!

I am sure there have been many changes and I read about many new places. After your first review of Blue Kay I was set to visit there for the whole day but recent reviews have dampened my enthusiasm. I think now we will use our first visit as a fact finding mission for future visits. I am hoping that we can “hop” along the malecon starting at the far south, stopping in the middle and finishing at Blue Kay (if we get that far!). I have decided that way we will get an idea of which “area” appeals to us most, in terms of facility but also sand and ocean.

Thanks for your contact suggestions. Unfortunately I don’t do facebook. I have emailed the other establishments I am interested in so we will see how it goes on the day.

Quick review of our fact finding mission!

Unfortunately we had a late port day, noon to 7pm and arrived to a torrential down pour. We continued with our plan but initial taxi cost us $3pp (because we wanted to go just outside city limits I suspect) - we didn’t haggle because of the weather, we just wanted to get going and go somewhere we knew there would be shelter in case we didn’t get any further. We went to Luna de Plata, small hotel which seems to cater to a lot of snorkel tours out to reef. Because of the weather we drank beer under the hotel canopy but there were loungers with padded seats on the beach - sand seemed coarse but I am not a sand expert.

Weather cleared up and we walked the whole length of malecon with Crew’s list in hand! Stopped for a couple of beers but mainly checked out vibe. Beach bars were packed one after another, definitely more music and “happening” between Tropicante and Maya Bar. Because of weather beach bars were not busy you couldn’t get a complete picture as many of the “better” class ones didn’t have canopies or mats on loungers that I had seen in photos.

Finished up at Blue Kay. We didn’t get charged any entrance, or minimum charge, (probably because late in the day), just consumption only for party of four. Loungers were not packed like the places along the malecon and there was a mixture of tables and chairs and loungers amongst the trees. Nicer atmosphere, better sand and water looked the best for swimming. Quiet for relaxing, no music that we heard. As mentioned loungers looked very uncomfortable, old and definitely required a mat but very nice view. Prices were the highest we paid all day but can’t complain - paid 60 pesos for beer compared to $5 mentioned above!

Beer prices for the day ranged from 20-60 pesos! Good use of our time considering the weather, it really wasn’t a sit and relax in one place type of day. We would give any of the places we tried a second chance on a better day. Because we only stopped at places at both extreme ends we never got bothered by any vendors.

Blue kay is the more picturesque end but we also enjoyed the laid back southern end. I got the feeling the northern end was definitely undergoing development and expansion so it remains to be seen how it is in a few years.

We will be back in a few weeks time but already have a return visit to Maya Chan booked and hope the weather will be better!

I am confused - you say beach bars were packed, and then you say beach bars were not busy. Can you please explain. And can someone please explain -- what is "malecon"?

Ok sorry for confusion!

The malecon is the walkway through the town from one end to the other with the beach with loungers and servers on one side and bars and shops on the other.

The extreme ends (north and south) have bars where the loungers are not packed close together. In the middle of the malecon, the bars are one after another with little space between each bar and the loungers are mostly in rows, close together. On the day we were there the loungers were close together but unoccupied due to the weather, therefore not busy.

At Blue Kay loungers were more spread out in groups and also there were tables and chairs amongst the trees.

HTH!

Thanks so much C-leg. That makes sense now. So is it correct to say that when I read the names of the beaches, it is really the names of the restaurants. In other words, Blue Kay Beach is the beach in front of Blue Kay bar or restaurant. Does every single bar/restaurant have a beach to call their own?

Seems like Blue Kay is closest to the port... wonder why it's described as not busy..

Because its not in the center of "town". The taxis go a little way past it and then you have to walk back to it but most people walk toward the center of the malecon instead.

Cruising with a 4 and 5 year old. Blue Key seems nice. Are there beach vendors that accost you every 5 seconds for their merch? Basically does this seem like a pretty family friendly beach? Thank you!

We were there a year ago at Blue Kay and not a single vendor came up to us while we were on their property.

Thanks to mitsugirly... I stumbled on your review of Blue Kay recently. I've been looking for the elusive Unicorn of a soft sand beach, caribbean blue water, and snorkeling near shore for the kids. Looks like Blue Kay fits the bill!

Do they offer lifejackets for the kids? Also we are a family of 5... any trouble getting a taxi van?

Cruising with a 4 and 5 year old. Blue Key seems nice. Are there beach vendors that accost you every 5 seconds for their merch? Basically does this seem like a pretty family friendly beach? Thank you!

Just visited Blue Kay last week, and yes there are several vendors walking around selling beads, jewelry, cigars, hats and massages. Nothing intrusive though, just a polite No and they moved on.

Hi CC members,

Just thought I would add a quick review of our day in Costa Maya and Blue Kay. Our ship was in port from 9am-7pm and there was one other ship docked that day. We simply walked through the port, past the outside port gates, walked approximately one block and found a taxi on the right had side of the road waiting to drive us to the beaches. The ride was $3pp.

We asked to be dropped off and Blue Kay. Total trip time was less than 10 minutes, I believe.

At first sight, I was a bit disappointed with my surroundings, but once we were all settled in, we really enjoyed our time there immensely. Good service, clean beach and calm, clear water.

Within 2 minutes of arriving a very polite worker came to us and asked if we wanted to stay and get a beach lounger. He stated it would be $15 pp. I mentioned that according to cruise critic and other travelers that the price seemed very high. He mentioned that the manager changed the rate in the past few weeks. The $15 included a wooden lounger with a mat, and (2) drinks from the bar. The drinks were any kind ( beer, margarita, mojito, your choice). We choose a beer and they were the larger "pounder" cans. So, I believe the $15 was justified. The waiter stopped by several times to check in.

Great day for a nice, relaxing beach day. Just a few vendors walking around, but a polite no kept them at bay.

At first sight, I was a bit disappointed with my surroundings, but once we were all settled in, we really enjoyed our time there immensely. Good service, clean beach and calm, clear water.

Just curious... what was it about the surroundings that gave a bad first impression?

Just curious... what was it about the surroundings that gave a bad first impression?

Stepping off the Malecon into the resort, there wasn't that "Awe" factor. Mitsugirly pics were so beautiful with lush palm trees, and vibrant colors, so I think I just had very high expectations. There was a very small rugged sign denoting Blue Kay. Little palms trees, probably due to recent hurricanes. And there were only (3) rows of loungers, approximately 24 total. So if you were not there first, you had a few of the back of someone else chair. They were tied down, so you cant move them either.

The water was beautiful though, so I just concentrated on that and all was good. The beach was amazing, soft and clean. and the service was great as well. Don't get me wrong, it was beautiful, I just prefer more space will soaking up the sun.

Stepping off the Malecon into the resort, there wasn't that "Awe" factor. Mitsugirly pics were so beautiful with lush palm trees, and vibrant colors, so I think I just had very high expectations. There was a very small rugged sign denoting Blue Kay. Little palms trees, probably due to recent hurricanes. And there were only (3) rows of loungers, approximately 24 total. So if you were not there first, you had a few of the back of someone else chair. They were tied down, so you cant move them either.

The water was beautiful though, so I just concentrated on that and all was good. The beach was amazing, soft and clean. and the service was great as well. Don't get me wrong, it was beautiful, I just prefer more space will soaking up the sun.

I don't believe you saw the whole resort, Blue Kay is one of the largest beach clubs on the beach. We had loungers under palm trees with a clear view of the sea.

I don't believe you saw the whole resort, Blue Kay is one of the largest beach clubs on the beach. We had loungers under palm trees with a clear view of the sea.

Part of Blue Kay now is a private beach, where only those staying in the beach club have access. It is roped off.

We were seated in the area when looking at the water, to the left of the roped off area. beside us was a large area without loungers or chairs, where you could lay down beach towels if you wanted. But, to the right of us, was the private area. (from what the sign said at least)

If you are referring to the chairs right along the water (when facing the water and to the right) then those do not even belong to Blue Kay. Those are being rented to the beach club next door. Those loungers would be the ones that have 3 rows of loungers, it's a small area and are tied down. The chairs for just BK are not tied down and very spread out everywhere along the shaded areas up and down their property and beach area and around the bend. It doesn't sound like you were at the right area for just BK. :confused:

Part of Blue Kay now is a private beach, where only those staying in the beach club have access. It is roped off.

We were seated in the area when looking at the water, to the left of the roped off area. beside us was a large area without loungers or chairs, where you could lay down beach towels if you wanted. But, to the right of us, was the private area. (from what the sign said at least)

The area that is "roped off" that is directly behind the area along the beach with the chairs belong to BK...not just people staying at BK resort. The area in front of that along the water/beach line is the rented part. You can be in the roped off area behind that and all up and down the beach there (which is HUGE).

I'll be headed to Blue Kay next month, but the new $15pp charge seems a bit steep for what I'm looking for.

I'm looking just to snorkel with my kids for a bit, is it possible to use the neighboring beach and forego the amenities that Blue Kay offers? I have no problem buying food/drinks from them should the need arise, but $15pp for 2 drinks and a chair I won't be using?

Just got back from a day at Blue Kay.

We walked right into the beach area and sat right down in some loungers(with a mat) under the shade like we knew what we were doing.

Pepe, the waiter, came over and welcomed us and paused for a minute to think and then said, "just pay for your drinks and food through me" and then walked away.

We each had one drink at $8 each.

Got there about 10AM, was maybe 30% full, by noon every lounger was taken.

We had a great day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We went to Blue Kay last Thursday (April 5th). The taxi ride was $2 per person...and getting to the taxi stand is no joke...Costa Maya port is like a never-ending maze!

Upon arrival we met Ivan, who was setting up and opening for the day. We got off the ship at about 8AM, and was on the beach by 8:30AM. He wanted to charge us $15 per adult (includes 2 drinks) and the kids would be free. I brought up Mitsugirly's Cruise Critic review and conversation with the owner a while back and indicated that I thought it was $7. Ivan had to confer with the owner, and this took about 10-15 minutes before they agreed to the $7 per person cost (with our group, we would have had to pay $30 per family and we ended up paying $21 instead...some are not drinkers). I think they need to be consistent in their pricing. It was unsettling to have to wait and deal with the haggling when we could have been relaxing and enjoying our very short day at pot (we were scheduled back on board at 1:30PM).

The waters were calm and truly lovely. We got beachfront seats with comfy mats. The water was waist-deep out to the breakers. We could see our ship from the beach. Service was great after the initial price haggling. Ivan took care of us all morning...margaritas were good and the shrimp tacos and garlic shrimp were AMAZING! Best tacos we had during our trip. The chicken nachos were just okay.

We also used the massage folks close by at $45 for 60 minutes. They were good, but ask for "mas suerte" (more pressure). The massages get cheaper if you're willing to go further down the Majahual...but we weren't.

It turned out to be a fantastic day.