Antarctica Live On Board

galeforce9

I have read where the AntarcticTreaty and the rules of the International Association of Antarctic TourOperators require all guests to submit a health questionnaire, completed in full no later than 90 days prior to tour departure. Does Seabourn require this of their Antarctic passengers? I can't find anything about this on their website. Thank you.

All Seabourn Pax have to fill out a health questionaire before boarding for any cruise

That is correct and a simple no no no etc. Was responding to the treaty questionnaire that supposedly has to be submitted more than 90 days pre cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is correct and a simple no no no etc. Was responding to the treaty questionnaire that supposedly has to be submitted more than 90 days pre cruise.

You're correct, I missed the 90 day bit.

However, a lot can happen in 90 days :o

Yes lots can happen and don’t know how seabourn gets away with it as they talked a lot on board about following all the rules but nothing to complete and if it has to be completed more than 90 days prior nobody could book less than 3 months prior. Perhaps for small exploration ships without sufficient medical facilities??

rallydave, I was just thinking how amazing modern communications are, here am I in Melbourne on Saturday morning (where it's 7.5c/45f ) waiting for it to be light enough to take my dog to the beach, while you're in Houston where it's Friday afternoon ( 15 hour time difference), probaby hot, and nearly wine,/beer/whiskey o'clock for you (well it would be for me);)

Yes small world. And the sun is almost over the yardarm but actually a bit cooler today only 91F. Seems we will be getting lots of welcome rain this weekend. Seems a lot of rain heading north in the gulf. Not tropical so no circulation but expecting 6” or more by Monday. Just love Oz and have lots of friends there and from there. Have a great weekend and don’t worry you will have 40C temps soon enough

rallydave, I was just thinking how amazing modern communications are, here am I in Melbourne on Saturday morning (where it's 7.5c/45f ) waiting for it to be light enough to take my dog to the beach, while you're in Houston where it's Friday afternoon ( 15 hour time difference), probaby hot, and nearly wine,/beer/whiskey o'clock for you (well it would be for me);)

Only difference is your home and clothes are made for cold weather. We have 9c this morning and I’m freezing my as#$ off as we are not made for cold weather. 😟

Only difference is your home and clothes are made for cold weather. We have 9c this morning and I’m freezing my as#$ off as we are not made for cold weather. [emoji45]

Not really true. We don’t have winter and rarely have even a frost. Wear shorts 9-10 months per year. We’re pretty tropical hot and humid late March thru November. Play golf year round and 9C would be very cold for us as well. Have a great weekend. We are looking forward to an October river cruise followed by a TA Barcelona to Barbados thru the canaries to get back home in Seabourn.

Not really true. We don’t have winter and rarely have even a frost. Wear shorts 9-10 months per year. We’re pretty tropical hot and humid late March thru November. Play golf year round and 9C would be very cold for us as well. Have a great weekend. We are looking forward to an October river cruise followed by a TA Barcelona to Barbados thru the canaries to get back home in Seabourn.

Sounds like just my type of weather.

Only difference is your home and clothes are made for cold weather. We have 9c this morning and I’m freezing my as#$ off as we are not made for cold weather.

I assume that you were referring to Melbourne and not Houston ab21au.?

For only the third time in 3+ years since we caame back from Antarctica, I wore my full Antarctica gear to the beach this morning, and I was still cold. It was +7c and with the wind it felt like -7c:o (and no, I didn't swim to save you asking, although the water is about 11c)

Ha Ha, yes I would have asked!!! Where’s your commitment. 😀

I swim for enjoyment, and I definately would not have enjoyed it this morning, not with a 7c, 35 knot NW blowing (although some of the guys and girls ventured in, but they were wearing shorty wetsuit tops)

Regarding health questionnaire, I could not find any requirement like this. For a details, read:

ANNEX 1GUIDELINES ON CONTINGENCY PLANNING, INSURANCE AND OTHERMATTERS FOR TOURIST AND OTHER NON-GOVERNMENTAL ACTIVITIES INTHE ANTARCTIC TREATY AREAThose organising or conducting tourist or other non-governmental activities in the AntarcticTreaty area should ensure:1. that appropriate contingency plans and sufficient arrangements for health andsafety, search and rescue (SAR), and medical care and evacuation have been drawn-upand are in place prior to the start of the activity. Such plans and arrangements should notbe reliant on support from other operators or national programmes without their expresswritten agreement; and2. that adequate insurance or other arrangements are in place to cover any costs associatedwith search and rescue and medical care and evacuation.And the following guidelines should also be observed in particular by thoseorganising conducting activities without the supervision or support in the field ofanother operator or a national programme:3. that participants have sufficient and demonstrable experience appropriate for theproposed activity operating in polar, or equivalent, environments. Such experience mayinclude survival training in cold or remote areas, flying, sailing or operating othervehicles in conditions and over distances similar to those being proposed in the activity;4. that all equipment, including clothing, communication, navigational, emergency andlogistic equipment is in sound working order, with sufficient backup spares and suitablefor effective operation under Antarctic conditions;5. that all participants are proficient in the use of such equipment;6. that all participants are medically, physically and psychologically fit to undertake theactivity in Antarctica;7. that adequate first-aid equipment is available during the activity and that at least oneparticipant is proficient in advanced first-aid.

I picked a wide angle lens as I thought this would be better to pick more icebergs all around us up and kayaks. I then suffered though as we came upon the most photogenic gentoo on an iceberg who just stared at us and called. I couldn’t zoom in enough but eventually others dropped back, we got our turn at the front and we could see it ok.

7bfc8b46bd85ebf8388cbab8541ba50e.jpg

Hope this helps.

What a photo!!

Speaking of BA scams: We were slimed in BA yesterday but unlike in India it wasn’t feces so we laughed it off and went to the nearest McD’s to clean up!! No problem for us with that scam (assuming it comes out of my pants when I launder them!). It’s not letting me post the pictures of the back of my husband’s black polo shirt (that he took off and washed at McD’s) or the back of my khaki pants...

What does this mean? Thanks

The seabournblog says a blue whale was spotted in the Observation Lounge but I would have much rather spotted Sir Tim Rice. We are great fans and wish he had been on our trip rather than that Apple guy Steve something.

I thought I'd share a little picture with you all - this is what Antarctica comes down to, a lot of clobber to wear when you go on a zodiac - my wife says she wore two more items than the 18 I wore:

25144559967_823a45035f_c.jpgAntarctica by UltraPanavision, on Flickr

This is a helpful photo!

As I feAred. Captain Larsen passed away last night. 901 is captain,s quarters. No additional information being released. We all received a letter. Needless to sAy there is a pall on the ship. Sorry to bring you this awful news

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh!! How awful!!!

Industry mourns Captain Larsen:

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/18548-industry-mourns-seabourn-s-captain-larsen.html

Laid to rest (was he only 48??)

https://www.cruiseshipdeaths.com/2018/02/17/captain-bjarne-bahne-larsen-seabourn-cruises-death/

The remains of Captain Bjarne Bahne Larsen are arriving in Denmark Thursday, March 15, 2018, where he will be laid to rest on the beautiful island of Fyn. There he will be overlooking the Svendborg Sound. The ceremony will be held at, St. Jörgens Church, Address: Brydegaardsvej 17, 5700 City of Svendborg Denmark. Saturday 17 March at 11:00.”

What does this mean? Thanks

Buenos Aires is known for several scams involving tourists. One scam involves someone coming up behind you and spraying you with a slime-like substance. Then another person comes offering to wipe it off. When they wipe it off, they either pick your pocket or they ask in a very aggressive way for money. In Buenos Aires we were “slimed” and we went into a McDonald’s and cleaned up ourselves. In India, feces was squirted on my shoe rather than “slime” but it was the same type of scam. Once again, we just went into a hotel and I cleaned off my shoe. The “slime” in Buenos Aires came out of my pants after they were washed in a normal washing machine.