Antarctica Live On Board

galeforce9

We're sailing on Quest departing February 3rd and are trying to make sure we have the appropriate clothing for Antarctica.  Question about waterproof pants -- do we need to be able to tuck our pants into our boots (we're renting the boots)?  If so, how loose are the boots?  We ask because we have waterproof quilted ski pants and they're pretty bulky for tucking.  Thanks!

6 minutes ago, maxla said:

We're sailing on Quest departing February 3rd and are trying to make sure we have the appropriate clothing for Antarctica.  Question about waterproof pants -- do we need to be able to tuck our pants into our boots (we're renting the boots)?  If so, how loose are the boots?  We ask because we have waterproof quilted ski pants and they're pretty bulky for tucking.  Thanks!

No, you don't tuck them into the boots.  And, make sure they are waterproof and not just water resistant as they will get wet on wet landings.

As Dave said (hi Dave!), the waterproof pants go over the boots.  The bottom of the pants should fit snuggly around the boots, usually with velcro closures, so that water pressure holds the pants against the boots to prevent water entry if you have to step into water deeper than the boot tops during wet landings.

The Quest seems to have charted a very weird course last night . . .after barely two days in South Georgia the ship left Grytviken (where it moved around a lot) and tacked along the north shore of the island until reaching the furthest point when it should have turned the corner and sailed SW for Antarctica.  Instead it sailed NE (ie, towards Africa) for about 50 miles and then turned around going due S.

Looks to me like terrible weather down there but you never know unless you are actually on board . . .

Well, after six days of radio silence, the Seabourn Expedition team have described their visit to South Georgia and, reading between the lines, it seems to have been quite exciting . . . 

All groups got ashore on Christmas Day at Salisbury Plain to eyeball the penguins.

The next day was a visit to Grytviken where, last year, we were told everyone gets ashore.  Not true this time around.  I think two groups managed it and then the weather turned nasty and the people ashore were stranded.  Staff at the Museum handed out drinks and snacks and made preparations for everyone to spend the night in an adjacent building which is kept for that eventuality.  There presumably was no champagne or caviar and those needing meds were probably getting worried.  But then the weather becalmed itself for an hour so everyone ashore was rescued. The kayaks were rescued, tied together and quivering in terror until they, too, were aboard the mothership.  

The Quest then ran for cover and the next day was spent in a howling gale on the eastern cape which Captain Cook had called Cape Disappointment.  The Quest called this 'scenic cruising.'  

Last year on the same cruise we were so lucky - four full days, three landings, including the stunning Stromness, one zodiac tour, mostly sunny.  This year was . . . different.

Edited by Fletcher

18 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Well, after six days of radio silence, the Seabourn Expedition team have described their visit to South Georgia and, reading between the lines, it seems to have been quite exciting . . . 

All groups got ashore on Christmas Day at Salisbury Plain to eyeball the penguins.

The next day was a visit to Grytviken where, last year, we were told everyone gets ashore.  Not true this time around.  I think two groups managed it and then the weather turned nasty and the people ashore were stranded.  Staff at the Museum handed out drinks and snacks and made preparations for everyone to spend the night in an adjacent building which is kept for that eventuality.  There presumabl was no champagne or caviar and those needing meds were probably getting worried.  But then the weather becalmed itself for an hour so everyone ashore was rescued. The kayaks were rescued, tied together and quivering in terror until they, too, were aboard the mothership.  

The Quest then ran for cover and the next day was spent in a howling gale on the eastern cape which Captain Cook had called Cape Disappointment.  The Quest called this 'scenic cruising.'  

Last year on the same cruise we were so lucky - four full days, three landings, including the stunning Stromness, one zodiac tour, mostly sunny.  This year was . . . different.

All groups went ashore in Grytviken and it was the final group stranded for a bit until the winds subsided. The following day was supposed to be zodiac cruising at Cooper Bay, but high winds and fog arriving just as we did forced a relocation north to Gold Harbor, where we were met with similar conditions. We then headed to Drygalski Fjord, where we were treated to a beautiful glacier and unusual rock and ice formations. High winds were still present, so we didn’t dally long before we were on our our way again.  

Edited by medroots
Posted in error without comments appended.

Medroots,

I know you are on Quest now so your report is accurate and thereby much appreciated!

And I am sure that Captain Golubev, Ventures leader Iggy and CD Jan will make the most of all the opportunities available to you and your friends on this wonderful cruise. I just wish I were there, too!

Happy and healthy sailing!

Medroots - I'm so glad you have posted something. I knew there were maybe four or five Cruise Critic contributors aboard as people were on the Roll Call.  I also knew that my interpretation of the 'official' Seabourn blog might not be accurate and I hoped it might encourage a correction from a passenger.  I do hope you will post regularly as time and satellite allows to keep us up to speed with this remarkable trip.  

By the way, I read recently that a passenger on an unknown expedition ship was attacked and bitten by a seal on South Georgia.  His injuries were so severe that the cruise was aborted and the ship went to Port Stanley's hospital.   That came from the official government SGSI website. 

Thank you, Markham and Fletcher. Yesterday was very foggy.  We were all set to cruise along the coast of Point Wild and Elephant Island, until it was reported that a very large iceberg was blocking the passage. The fog lifted briefly as we arrived and we lingered along the coast, enjoying the amazing view and glimpse into the island’s famous history before we were on our way again. After a perfect Christmas day among the King Penguins at Salisbury Plain, we were plagued with high winds (gusting to as much as 70 kts) in the latter part of our visit to South Georgia.  The weather eventually changed to calmer seas but lots of fog for the past few days. We arrived this morning at Brown Bluff, Antarctica, with the intent of a landing to explore the long, narrow beach (as well as kayaking) but were once again challenged with a lot of ice along the shorelines and an unusual swell.  Instead of the planned landing,  all groups today were treated to zodiac cruises along the area.   The Adelie penguins were abundant and swimming about, as well as organizing themselves on land.  We also spotted a few Gentoos and leopard seals.  Several passengers experienced the thrill of penguins leaping into the zodiacs, and we watched them jumping onto and off the numerous icebergs and bergie bits floating about. 

• Like 1

Reading about the difficulties encountered in the Antarctic because of the weather conditions, I can only feel that we should take our hats off to the Captain, crew, and Expedition Team, in that they seem to manage worthwhile expeditions for the passengers in spite of everything.  

• Like 1

When you arrive you will be met by porters to take your luggage and directed where to go for check-in.  After you sign the forms, give them a credit card and get your room card you will then take a bus to the ship, about a 3 minute or so ride depending on what berth the Quest is in.  San Antonio is a busy port, and the traffic in town last year when we departed from there was terrible, I think we were stuck in traffic for about 15-20 minutes once we got to the actual town.   We had no traffic issues on the way from Santiago, it was only once we got to SA that the traffic was backed up. 

Thank you 2SailingNomads. Where exactly do we "arrive"?  Is it the (main) entrance to the port?  I'm trying to determine where to specifically tell the driver to go once we arrive down by the water.  Were signs posted by Seabourn?  Thanks.

Hopefully, Sunday traffic won't be too bad.

Edited by Missabby

Just tell them the cruise ship terminal.  As far as I know there is only one entrance for all cruise ships.  Once you get there you will be greeted by someone telling you where to go, if I recall correctly there was one building where everyone went, regardless of the cruise line.  Once inside the building there will be signs and people to direct you.

Missaby - According to the Cruisemapper website, the Quest will be the only ship in port on that day.  You will have no problems finding it.  The drive from Santiago is quite interesting - rural scenery and lots of vineyards.  San Antonio itself is rather scruffy.

Medroots - Are you enjoying Antartica?  We'd love to know what's happening down there.  The last Seabourn blog was written days ago from foggy Elephant Island  by Professor Penguin himself, Brent Houston.  I think maybe today you will be in Gonzalez Videla base.  

1 hour ago, Fletcher said:

Medroots - Are you enjoying Antartica?  We'd love to know what's happening down there.  The last Seabourn blog was written days ago from foggy Elephant Island  by Professor Penguin himself, Brent Houston.  I think maybe today you will be in Gonzalez Videla base.  

With the previous day st torgersen island? 

The Quest has arrived in Ushuaia about 12 hours ahead of schedule.  It's berthed alongside Ponant's Soleal, Nat Geo Orion and Silver Cloud.  Quite an exclusive gathering and I've sailed on three of them.

The Seabourn blog is now up to date and tells of perfect weather and wildlife.  Something from Medroots would be welcome.

Edited by Fletcher

20 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Something from Medroots would be welcome.

Sorry about the delay. I really have no excuse except the frustrations of slow internet and enjoying the Seabourn moments.  Since my last update, we visited Torgersen Island on New Year’s Day, followed by Damoy Point and Waterboat Point on 3 January.  We enjoyed beautiful weather until the afternoon of Waterboat point, when the winds increased and the afternoon kayaking groups were cancelled. We were fortunate to enjoy a day of abundant sunshine when we kayaked at Damoy Point.  Several chicks had hatched at Waterboat Point and the Gonzalez Videlia outpost and attracted a great deal of paparazzi attention from the guests.  The guests in the afternoon zodiacs were treated to appearances by numerous whales feeding around the area.  On our departure, Captain Alex slowed the ship and circled the largest iceberg we’ve encountered this trip - it was quite impressive!  We entered the Drake at nearly full speed to take advantage of calmer seas. The weather deteriorated throughout the day on Friday, and we all experienced some impressive swells throughout the night. We arrived in Ushuaia about 15:50 on Saturday afternoon, instead of the planned arrival of early this morning, in an effort to arrive before some expected high winds in Ushuaia.   The crew were treated to a well-deserved opportunity to enjoy a rare overnight in town. The passengers were all looking forward to receiving new provisions of fresh fruit and vegetables after so many days at sea, but as far as we can tell, no provisions arrived. Now we’re all looking forward to Punta Arenas, especially since we’ve depleted the ship’s supply of Hendricks! We were due to depart at 13:00 today, but high winds kept us glued to the pier. The Captain just announced another aborted attempt to depart as the winds temporarily subsided but not long enough to cast off, so it looks like we’re here in Ushuaia until further notice. Apparently there is no tug service here in Ushuaia to assist. The other ships around us have also delayed their departures. 

Many thanks for that Medroots.  It looks like you all had a good experience in Antarctica.  If you ever leave Ushuaia, good luck with the Chilean fjords and especial good luck for those taking the pricey trip from Punta Arenas to the Torres del Paine Park.  As far as the Chilean fjords are concerned, Chiloe is an interesting place - turn right off the pier and walk around the bay where there are many houses on stilts, a great photo op.

• Like 1

I guess many of the tours at Punta Arenas - especially the biggie to Torres del Paine - were scrapped because of the Quest's late arrival . . . ???

By the way, the UK government has recently awarded a contract to a company called Seaborne who will provide ferries to Europe after we leave (or not leave) the EU.  The fact that this company Seaborne has no ferries has led it to be ridiculed across the nation. I get spooked every time I hear the word but fortunately it is not Seabourne.

Edited by Fletcher