Help for Valletta Malta excursions

Sandi07054

Sandi,

Definitely check out the Ports of Call forum as recommended above.

One tip: make sure you are up on deck early for the sail in to Valletta; the Grand Harbor is one of the most beautiful natural harbors in the world. Don't miss any of it.

MedCruise20102237.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

Sandi,

One tip: make sure you are up on deck early for the sail in to Valletta; the Grand Harbor is one of the most beautiful natural harbors in the world. Don't miss any of it.

Thank you for posting that beautiful photo. Valletta, Malta is one of the ports on our Med cruise in May. The sail in does look like it will be magnificent from all the photos I've seen!

We are debating on not even doing a ship excursion and just enjoying some of the highlights in Valletta on our own. So far I have Grandmaster's Palace, Saint John's Co-Cathedral, Fort Saint Elmo and Upper Barrakka Gardens on my list!

Thank you for posting that beautiful photo. Valletta, Malta is one of the ports on our Med cruise in May. The sail in does look like it will be magnificent from all the photos I've seen!

We are debating on not even doing a ship excursion and just enjoying some of the highlights in Valletta on our own. So far I have Grandmaster's Palace, Saint John's Co-Cathedral, Fort Saint Elmo and Upper Barrakka Gardens on my list!

Thanks for the kind words re my photo. Valletta is very do-able on your own. Of the places you mentioned, we visited the Co-Cathedral and the Upper Barrakka Gardens, and very much enjoyed both. While the Co-Cathedral is of course known for it Caravaggio, we thought the entire church was quite interesting.

And just walking around Valletta was an experience:

Valletta%20street_zpsegr4lfcz.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

There are horse and cart rides from near the ship, but quite expensive so haggle hard if you want one. As the city is very hilly, you can also get a lift/elevator from near the port to the upper gardens and walk around the city by yourselves. Its a fairly small island so easy to get to where you want to visit. Buses quite cheap but the drivers all think their are racing drivers...

Edited by wales4ever

Sandi,

MedCruise20102237.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

Hi how are you both!!! We have not crossed crushing paths lately!!! We are going to Malta in April. Could you send us some hints!!! Your pictures looked beautiful!! My email is my name at gmail. I know you used to have it!,, thanks

Hi how are you both!!! We have not crossed crushing paths lately!!! We are going to Malta in April. Could you send us some hints!!! Your pictures looked beautiful!! My email is my name at gmail. I know you used to have it!,, thanks

It is indeed a small world! :)

You have mail. (Please let me know here if you don't receive it.)

I love Malta! I have to reiterate to get up early and see the harbor as the sun is rising...the buildings GLOW! So beautiful!

I've done Malta on my own and also on a private tour. On my own, I was able to see the War Museum (truly fascinating), the Co-Cathedral, and the toy museum (don't waste your time), and walk all over the historical area.

The tour we arranged took us to:

Valletta (Barraka Gardens, Merchants/Republic Streets, St, John's CVo. Cathedral)

Blue Grotto

Hagar Qim Temples

Mdina Medieval City

It was amazing. Have a great time!

There is a lot of information on Malta on the EUROPE ports of call board under "Other Mediterranean Ports"

Also if you are looking for stone age history Hagar Qim and the Hypogeum are absolute must see cultural sites. Book your Hypogeum tickets several months in advance because daily tours are limited due to the fragile nature of the petroglyphs inside.

I loved Malta, we spent a week there and had a wonderful time.

• 4 weeks later...

Seahawk Siren,

I just spent the last twelve months living in Valletta. It's a gorgeous capital city, with much to keep you busy. Depending upon how much time you have and what you like to do, you might be content just exploring Valletta. There is certainly lots to see and do outside of Valletta (Mdina, Hypogeum, Hagar Qim Temples, St. Paul's Catacombs, etc.) but the traffic can be really challenging, particularly during rush-hour.

I just wrote an in-depth piece on my travel blog about what to see/do in Valletta, which might give you some more ideas:

https://triciaannemitchell.com/2016/12/04/things-to-do-in-valletta-malta-attractions-hotels-guide/

Either way, here's hoping you have a wonderful time in Malta!

Seahawk Siren,

I just spent the last twelve months living in Valletta. It's a gorgeous capital city, with much to keep you busy. Depending upon how much time you have and what you like to do, you might be content just exploring Valletta. There is certainly lots to see and do outside of Valletta (Mdina, Hypogeum, Hagar Qim Temples, St. Paul's Catacombs, etc.) but the traffic can be really challenging, particularly during rush-hour.

I just wrote an in-depth piece on my travel blog about what to see/do in Valletta, which might give you some more ideas:

https://triciaannemitchell.com/2016/12/04/things-to-do-in-valletta-malta-attractions-hotels-guide/

Tricia - Wow! Thank you very much for posting the link to your travel blog on Valletta. Very colorful, informative writing and beautiful photos! I am so looking forward to visiting Valletta for the very first time. We have limited time there, only 8 hours. You have sold me on Rampila Restaurant and will plan on having lunch there. Looks like a wonderful place for a meal and a glass of wine in a very unique setting!

Thanks again. My anticipation of experiencing this city is further heightened by reading your blog!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi

We will be in Malta between 8am and 18h00. Do you think it's possible to visit Mdina, the 3 cities and Valletta? If not ehat di you suggest Mdina or the 3 cities + valletta?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Regards

Suzy

quote=SlowBlueSkies;51764018]Seahawk Siren,

Hi

We will be in Malta between 8am and 18h00. Do you think it's possible to visit Mdina, the 3 cities and Valletta? If not ehat di you suggest Mdina or the 3 cities + valletta?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Regards

Suzy

quote=SlowBlueSkies;51764018]Seahawk Siren,

This thread is from 2016.