Transportation from QM2 to Albany NY May 17

jpnaz

Two of us are arriving on the QM2 on May 17th and want to travel to Albany, NY.

Is there a shuttle service from the cruise Terminal? If we take Amtrak, how do we purchase tickets and what train station do we need to go to? We do not want to rent a car or fly.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Two of us are arriving on the QM2 on May 17th and want to travel to Albany, NY.

Is there a shuttle service from the cruise Terminal? If we take Amtrak, how do we purchase tickets and what train station do we need to go to? We do not want to rent a car or fly.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

The QM2 arrives in Brooklyn. There is no shuttle service to New York Penn Station that I am aware of. You can take a cab (metered), book a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo (fixed base price quote plus any tolls plus 18-20% tip expected on base price), or use Uber or Lyft.

You can purchase train tickets on http://www.amtrak.com. Service is fairly frequent and the trip takes about 1.5 hours.

The QM2 arrives in Brooklyn. There is no shuttle service to New York Penn Station that I am aware of. You can take a cab (metered), book a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo (fixed base price quote plus any tolls plus 18-20% tip expected on base price), or use Uber or Lyft.

You can purchase train tickets on www.amtrak.com. Service is fairly frequent and the trip takes about 1.5 hours.

Thanks for your suggestions Carol!

You can also reach Albany by bus. The pricing is based on demand so if you purchase in advance you might be able to score cheap tickets. At least compare the cost to Amtrak for the heck of it. Www.megabus.com

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks, I checked this out. Is this anywhere near Brooklyn pier? It picks up in NYC at New York, NY, 34th St b/t 11th Ave and 12th Ave. I did see there is a ferry from near the port.

Edited by jpnaz
Left something out

Thanks, I checked this out. Is this anywhere near Brooklyn pier? It picks up in NYC at New York, NY, 34th St b/t 11th Ave and 12th Ave. I did see there is a ferry from near the port.

The bus pickup location is 3+ avenues west of New York Penn Station, which is essentially in the same area of midtown NY.

Ferry runs about every half hour to the downtown area of Manhattan (Pier 11) for $2.75/pp. You would have to take a cab from Pier 11 to the bus or train in midtown. https://www.ferry.nyc/routes-and-schedules/route/south-brooklyn/

The bus pickup location is 3+ avenues west of New York Penn Station, which is essentially in the same area of midtown NY.

Ferry runs about every half hour to the downtown area of Manhattan (Pier 11) for $2.75/pp. You would have to take a cab from Pier 11 to the bus or train in midtown. https://www.ferry.nyc/routes-and-schedules/route/south-brooklyn/

I would never do it or even suggest it but if you really wanted to be frugal one could walk to a subway and take the subway uptown. Then walk to train or bus. Managing your luggage would be almost impossible though lol.

The ride is about 2 1/2 hours, and departs almost hourly in the morning.

Last I heard, Amtrak will be resuming its track work this spring, and some trains *might* be using Grand Central. I don't know for sure. I just wanted to put that warning out there.

Oh, and if you haven't taken this route before, most people try to get seats on the left side (heading north) for the river views. Makes me proud of my state. Enjoy the ride!

OP, depending on # of pieces of luggage taken on your TA, it might be easier & more practical to just use a car service from Red Hook, Brooklyn's QM2 berth to Manhattan's NY Penn Station @ W. 31 - 33rd Street.

If you can manage, the ferry from Brooklyn to Lower Manhattan has been reported by others to be fine & doable. Your final segment in LW at the Wall Street Pier could be a car service, metered yellow taxi or Uber on a weekday.

As for how to purchase Amtrak tickets, if you have mobile/celllar data access, download & use the Amtrak App is probably the easiest - you can even buy upon arrival in NY (better idea of disembarkation time & clearing border control/custom) and book the train nearest to your expected arrival time @ NYP. With eTicketing, nothing to print with all digital confirmation on the device & no need to find the ticket windows inside the station.

https://www.amtrak.com/planning-booking/tickets-reservations/mobile.html

Weekdays, there is frequently, almost hourly services bet NYP and Albany-Ren. Station, both AM and PM .... App will show upcoming departure & alerts for delays, etc. in addition to online booking & fare payment.

The ride is about 2 1/2 hours, and departs almost hourly in the morning.

Last I heard, Amtrak will be resuming its track work this spring, and some trains *might* be using Grand Central. I don't know for sure. I just wanted to put that warning out there.

Oh, and if you haven't taken this route before, most people try to get seats on the left side (heading north) for the river views. Makes me proud of my state. Enjoy the ride!

Thank you for the great information,especially what side to sit. I would have thought you would sit on the right side heading north. I will check on construction.