Pompei Dress Question

teachatthebeach

You can wear shorts in Pompeii. If that's your only destination, there won't be any churches to enter. Pompeii was destroyed before Christianity was very prevalent in Italy. ;)

It won't be as hot in June as in July or August, but it can get pretty warm, especially if it is sunny. Wear a hat and bring water.

Definitely seconding the comfortable shoes. We were there in August and it was hot but our tour was first thing in the morning so that helped but my biggest memory was how tough the walking was there.

Pompeii was destroyed before Christianity was very prevalent in Italy. ;)

:'):'):') No, there´s no church you have to enter in Pompeii. But there are houses with nice paintings on the walls... which you might rate NC-17 ;)!

steamboats

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to decide if we should do our Pompeii tour solo. I dislike being in a large tour group. Has anyone just booked with a tour guide when they arrived to do a private tour? Is it cost prohibitive? Any and all feedback on tours and self-guided walks is appreciated.

I definitely plan on comfortable walking shoes, but can someone advise in a bit more detail just how difficult the walking might be in Pompeii? My parents are 70, and both in pretty good shape, but they're not in great shape!

Thanks in advance!

Christy

The streets are paved with fairly large stone blocks, and they can be slightly uneven, so you have to look down pretty often to see where your feet are going. There are a lot of higher walkways along the streets, and it’s easier to walk on them, but you’ll have to step up onto them and down from them at every corner. They’re a little bit higher than a normal step, and there will be a lot of up and down as you walk around. We toured Pompeii about 15 years ago, and noticed all the stepping then. I think we’d feel it a bit more now! Some of the streets are easier than others, and it’s possible to see quite a bit without walking on every street.

I'm trying to decide if we should do our Pompeii tour solo. I dislike being in a large tour group. Has anyone just booked with a tour guide when they arrived to do a private tour? Is it cost prohibitive? Any and all feedback on tours and self-guided walks is appreciated.

I’ve seen several people on tripadvisor endorsing their experience using Rick Steves audio tour in Pompeii downloaded to their phones. We’re considering using this as our go to.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Uncle Rick (Steves) had great audio tours for the Acropolis and for a general walking tour in Athens. I plan on using his for my Med trip as well. Also, there are so many tour groups up there, you could almost tack on to one where you like the guide and listen in. It's hard not to hear them as they pass by

The streets are paved with fairly large stone blocks, and they can be slightly uneven, so you have to look down pretty often to see where your feet are going. There are a lot of higher walkways along the streets, and it’s easier to walk on them, but you’ll have to step up onto them and down from them at every corner. They’re a little bit higher than a normal step, and there will be a lot of up and down as you walk around. We toured Pompeii about 15 years ago, and noticed all the stepping then. I think we’d feel it a bit more now! Some of the streets are easier than others, and it’s possible to see quite a bit without walking on every street.

Here is a sample of some streets.

enhance

Here is a sample of some streets.

enhance

A picture IS worth a thousand words - very helpful photo! :D