Ryndam Anchor Drop Lands Man in Brig

prescottbob

Wow!

That guys a nut!

Thanks for posting!

Actually, he is a selfish, thoughtless, irresponsible 'clod' (have I missed anything?) who through his actions cld have endangered a lot of people if not actually killed a few??

The booze just brought out his 'true' self...and is no excuse!

This 'type' is the problem with being around crowds and their actions cld seriously affect u & yours..which is why I wld recommend he be treated severely for what he did..Perhaps this then might improve his & others behaviour or at least make them use what limited mental facilities they do have, if they knew the punishment wld be 'nasty' & I mean really 'nasty'!

While its an easy explanation - he is not a 'nut' - that u cld forgive or at least understand...

Have happy cruisin'! :)

What surprises me is that something as important as the ability to drop anchor would be someplace that the general public would have access to.....

How did this guy get to this area? Is it that easy?

Not even electrification or mounted machine guns cld stop someone if they really wanted in & DO NOT ENTER signs translate into ENTER for his type of character!! :(

Of course, if the punishment included 'keelhauling' or at a minimum 20 lashes at sea, that wld certainly improve his eyesight and comprehension in the future..wldn't ever forget it IF he survived that is...Without this type of punishment though - a fine means nothing to folks w/ lots of $, not much reason for his type to improve -

Perhaps our society, which seems at present to foster these types of people, needs to bring some of that type of punishment back hmmm?

I love to go on HAL, so don't get me wrong......but part of me can't help but giggle since this story would make more sense if it were on Carnival. You don't see this kind of behavior with the HAL crowd. Thankfully no one got hurt.

Drunk and stupid are a bad combination.

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2010/11/holland-america-ryndam-fbi-charge-man-drops-anchor-/132941/1

The news outlet says Ehlert was identified using surveillance footage and has acknowledged releasing the anchor, as well as throwing a life buoy overboard. He reportedly told the FBI he was drunk at the time.

hmmm...the guy and his name look familiur to me but I cannot place where I have seen him before. I have relatives in California who live in the area that he has a rv dealership....I wonder....

Anyway FWIW....I read in a seperate report that there is a $250,000 dollar fine and possible 20 years in prison for the crime. I bet this guy gets the whole book thrown at him since I don't think anyone has pulled this kind of stunt on a ship before (unless someone else has heard of an incident?).

What surprises me is that something as important as the ability to drop anchor would be someplace that the general public would have access to.....

How did this guy get to this area? Is it that easy?

He went out one of the 'Crew Only' doors at the aft end of the hallways on A Deck.

Here's to hoping that this guy gets adequate punishment for his foolish stunt!

Also hoping Management doesn't have too much of a knee-jerk and considers all the alternatives before re-acting to this incident. I would like to believe it's the first time in 135+ years that this type of thing happened on a HAL ship.

Lastly, I hope no-one gets any copy-cat ideas on the Westerdam in the next couple of days before I get to sail her on 12/3.

What would have happened had the anchor hit bottom while the ship was gliding along at 20-or-so knots? Would the chain simply have snapped (leaving the anchor behind on the seabed), or something more serious?

I was on the Norwegian Pearl a couple years ago, at the "behind the scenes" presentation -- and the Captain mentioned that the previous CD had leaned against the switch in the bridge that lowers the anchor! Luckily the officers realized it immediately and stopped it...

- Mike :-)

It was a formal night and it is apparent that he was on his vacation and nobody could make him "Dress Up" and he never wears a tie anywhere anyway and if people can smoke then he can carry his own tray in the Lido and let go the anchor chain when ever he wants because...

:D....Thanks so much for posting - perhaps with humor we can get the idea across that there really is a huge problem within society today - its just becoming even more obvious on a cruiseship..

Perhaps the ol' boycott routine might do some good with these types hmmm?

I love to go on HAL, so don't get me wrong......but part of me can't help but giggle since this story would make more sense if it were on Carnival. You don't see this kind of behavior with the HAL crowd. Thankfully no one got hurt.

Apparently your assumption in this case is incorrect. You cannot say that you don't see this kind of behavior with the HAL crowd- you just did.

Archived