WiFi Skype On The Millennium

Gordie Howe

Has anyone used their cellphone (iPhone) to Skype on this ship recently? I'm only interested in the audio/phone-call side, no video. I know I'll need to go thru the ship's internet, and yes I will remove the SIM card so all communication will ONLY be via WiFi and Skype.

Just wondering if the ship's super-slow satellite connection will support its use. I'll be cruising the middle of next month.

Thanks much.

Ship's personnel will tell you that Skype is blocked due to high bandwidth use, although a handful of cruisers have reported that they have had some minimal success with Skype. It is possible that you would have your Internet access blocked if they find that you are using Skype, so you would definitely be taking a chance, would not have great reception and would be subject to intermittent signal loss.

• 1 month later...

Although a tad expensive - w/the ship's Internet rates, WiFi Skype to Skype calls worked well.

Viber worked very poorly and if it did, it was with an extreme voice delay.

Ship's IT person had no problem if we tried/used Skype. Someone did question him regarding the "blocking" of Skype and he said they do not.

While I never tried voice contact, Skype regularly reported my daughter's status (on/off) on my most recent cruise. However, since I take a netbook, I can read and compose emails off-line, and only connect to send/receive. DW and I are both Elite, so our free internet time usually has minutes left at the end of a 12 or 13 day cruise.

Archived