Bicycles on board?

Harris Jeffer

I have been on a few cruises where there were passengers who brought bicycles.

Is there any rule about this? Do you have to make arrangements before the cruise? Any feedback would be appreiciated ! Thanks:)

I distinctly remember one couple who brought their bikes on board. They arranged to have them stored somewhere below decks and I saw them take them off and back on the ship at several ports. This was probably four or five years ago so maybe things have changed so I'd call Ship Services at HAL to check on the rules and potentially the arrangements.

I wouldn't want to share an ship's elevator with a bicycle or have to pass one in a narrow stateroom hallway. I am a bicycle enthusiast myself, but don't think that a bicycle belongs in an elegant indoor environment.

If there was bicycle storage right at the gangway then that would be OK.

igraf

Have never seen any bkies, but it's not a bad idea.

We've seen them several times on the Prinsendam. It appeared they were stored for them until arrival at the port, and off they went!

I don't know about pre-arrangements, but it would sure be worth a call to HAL in advance to check.

Youve got to be kidding.

Why on earth?

For those so inclined, what a great way to tour a port of call. As someone else mentioned, hardly less convenient than sharing hallways, elevators, etc, etc with wheelchairs and scoooters. It isn't as though they'd be riding them up and down the hallways or bringing them to the MDR.

I'm fairly certain that those given permission would be delighted and grateful, which usually results in respectful conduct. Not always, mind you, but I'm sure the rest of us would hardly be inconvenienced.

On a recent HA cruise we saw bikes being wheeled off the ship so we asked crew members about them. We were told that the crew could have bikes stored in a storage area but that passengers would have to store their bikes in their cabins. I would get an official ok to bring the bikes on board and would get it in writing as bringing a bike onboard is not common. Also, consider the number of tender ports- bad weather could create many problems. There is a company that organizes cruise and bike tours but I think they use a different cruise line. I think I found them with a cruise critic seach and/or google. Their tour looked quite good but was pricey.

I'm leaving in four days for a combination bicycle tour/cruise, so I'll have my bike on board. I'll first be on Royal Caribbean from Lisbon to Sao Paulo, Brazil, and my bike will be boxed from the flight. The cruise line web site says that a reasonable amount of luggage will be allowed. I'm hoping they will be able to keep it down below for me, but if not, then I'll put it on the balcony. It would be nice to have it in port, but I'm just going to see what happens when I get there.

After I get to Brazil, I'll have to get down to Buenos Aires, where I'm getting on the Veendam. I have a flight booked to Porto Allege, so will have to pedal about 600 miles in 10 days, camping along the way, through southern Brazil and Uruguay.

I'm cruising on the Veendam out of Buenos Aires, all the way around to Valpariso. My bike won't be in the box at that point, and I wasn't able to get a balcony stateroom, so I'm hoping they will agree to store it below.

After I get to Valpariso, I have another 4 weeks to cycle in Chile and Argentina.

If I weren't doing this big trip, then I certainly wouldn't bother with taking my bike on the plane, just so I would have the bike on the ship to use in ports. It is a pain to schlep the bike, and expensive on the plane.

FYI, I'm a member of Warmshowers, and have had a few bicycle tourists stay with me who have arrived by cruise ship.

I'm leaving in four days for a combination bicycle tour/cruise, so I'll have my bike on board. I'll first be on Royal Caribbean from Lisbon to Sao Paulo, Brazil, and my bike will be boxed from the flight. The cruise line web site says that a reasonable amount of luggage will be allowed. I'm hoping they will be able to keep it down below for me, but if not, then I'll put it on the balcony. It would be nice to have it in port, but I'm just going to see what happens when I get there.

After I get to Brazil, I'll have to get down to Buenos Aires, where I'm getting on the Veendam. I have a flight booked to Porto Allege, so will have to pedal about 600 miles in 10 days, camping along the way, through southern Brazil and Uruguay.

I'm cruising on the Veendam out of Buenos Aires, all the way around to Valpariso. My bike won't be in the box at that point, and I wasn't able to get a balcony stateroom, so I'm hoping they will agree to store it below.

After I get to Valpariso, I have another 4 weeks to cycle in Chile and Argentina.

If I weren't doing this big trip, then I certainly wouldn't bother with taking my bike on the plane, just so I would have the bike on the ship to use in ports. It is a pain to schlep the bike, and expensive on the plane.

FYI, I'm a member of Warmshowers, and have had a few bicycle tourists stay with me who have arrived by cruise ship.

Wow! Sounds like an incredible trip.

Your own bicycle is a personal thing and if you want to do any extensive riding having your own bike it the way to go. After awhile you get the seat "just right". Don't know why anyone thinks it is weird or crazy.

I'm getting tired just reading this and I exercise a lot:D. Good luck to you. Sounds like a good way to see the world if you are up to it.

You will have a wonderful trip.

Travel safely.

Archived