Cruise Fairy Question?

I have my preferences set to automatic upgrades. Will be diamond level after my next cruise. I have never been visited by the upgrade fairy. I was wondering if it matters when you complete the on-line check in. Has anyone gotten an automatic upgrade after they have completed the on-line checkin process and received their first set-sail pass?

I have my preferences set to automatic upgrades. Will be diamond level after my next cruise. I have never been visited by the upgrade fairy. I was wondering if it matters when you complete the on-line check in. Has anyone gotten an automatic upgrade after they have completed the on-line checkin process and received their first set-sail pass?

Nope, have never received that elusive visit from the fairy. Drats... :(

I also have "automatic" set to preference and does not seem to matter when I

complete the online check in.

Completing the SetSail Pass has nothing to do with visits from the Upgrade Fairy.

The first step is that the Revenue Department gets a list of all available cabins and all booked passengers.

Based on some arcane, mystical, druidic formula, those people use their crystal balls to determine which cruisers will be most impressed and lured in by an upgrade. This can be anywhere from an interior to an oceanview, or a balcony to an Owner's Suite or Crown Loft Suite. This means first timers and few timers who will thus be likely to book the higher grade next time.

After they have exhausted themselves in their abstruse and esoteric rituals, they turn, panting, to the Crown & Anchor Society and beg them to distribute the few remaining available cabins.

C & A then looks at the booked passengers, arrayed in splended "cruise point" order and bestows the cabins, usually one level upgrades, according to "C&A Status".

By the way, this is not facetious, adjectives notwithstanding. This is pretty much how they do it.

I think it mostly has to do with the cabin type I've booked but i've been upgraded twice this year the week before sailing. Both times I've selected suite guarantees, been assigned junior suites, then upgraded to grand suites about a week before sailing.

The only other time I was upgraded was back in 2003. Selected a D1 and again about a week before sailing we were upgraded to a JS.

We have 174 cruise points and got an upgrade from an inside guarantee to a balcony on the Liberty last year! Now I believe in the upgrade fairy! Thanks RCL for rewarding your loyal cruisers! :)

Good for you! I keep hoping, maybe someday it will be a reality.:)

I agree with you! They always say it is D+ first, but we have been D+ for a long time and have still never been upgraded. We book what we want for a cabin and figure if it ever happens it is a plus.

We're diamond and figure the same thing.

Getting on Oasis this coming Saturday. Booked a balcony (sea view) and our TA e-mailed last week that RCCL called her and we could get an upgrade to a Jr Suite. We were on the Monarch at the time and did not see the e-mail soon enough to accept. Our preference is for an automatic upgrade so we are not sure why RCCL called for permission. Our TA said her company policy requires our approval. This one got away from us but I'm sure someone else got a nice upgrade and will be in our js cabin next week. We had 410 cruise credits at the time.

Getting on Oasis this coming Saturday. Booked a balcony (sea view) and our TA e-mailed last week that RCCL called her and we could get an upgrade to a Jr Suite. We were on the Monarch at the time and did not see the e-mail soon enough to accept. Our preference is for an automatic upgrade so we are not sure why RCCL called for permission. Our TA said her company policy requires our approval. This one got away from us but I'm sure someone else got a nice upgrade and will be in our js cabin next week. We had 410 cruise credits at the time.

That stinks! :eek:

Ugh that is horrible. Well we were in a suite guarantee and they assigned us a junior suite on the oasis in november. It cost 150/pp to upgrade to grand suite. Figured all the extra bennie's it was worth it for such a small increase in price. Who knows, maybe upgrade fairy will visit and put us in a loft suite. Sigh, one can only hope. I believe, I believe. Maybe that will work, lol.

We are D+ with 187cc we got our first upgrade on our upcoming Allure cruise. Booked a Jr Suite got upgraded to a Grand Suite! We got our upgrade 13 before our sail date ( now 4 days till) I believe for sure!!

My mother however is D+ 250cc and is sialing with us in a ocenview balcony guaranty cabin she got assigned a D3 and is happy with it but would of loved an upgrade too!!

Ugh that is horrible. Well we were in a suite guarantee and they assigned us a junior suite on the oasis in november. It cost 150/pp to upgrade to grand suite. Figured all the extra bennie's it was worth it for such a small increase in price. Who knows, maybe upgrade fairy will visit and put us in a loft suite. Sigh, one can only hope. I believe, I believe. Maybe that will work, lol.

horrible? I think $150 pp to definitely have extra space and perks is a good deal...If you have the money, that is much better than sitting around hoping for an upgrade.

I have a suite gty Nov 10, and I am waiting for an assignment. trust me, if the GS upgrade price drops to $150 pp, I will instantly be on the phone, credit card in hand.

I hope they do! I'm on the same cruise, assigned a JS, and was wishing the Florida rate for GS comes open to me so I can pay to upgrade! Or, they can just upgrade you and give the GS to me! :-) lol

Archived