Gratuities and tipping - A european view and question

Velvetwater

My husband and I are from the UK and over here we tip, but not as often as our friends from across the pond I have observed.

When booking my Carnival cruise the gratuity was added on so I cancelled it. I am well aware the wages on ships are gratuities are a large chunk of the crew's bread and butter but I have serious problem with tipping before I have had the service. If the staff are rude on Carnival I wont tip and If they are a joy I will. I'm also annoyed companies are ran this way in pushing their customers to pay the wages that the company itself should do and take responsibility for. As much as I realise this is to keeps costs down I would rather pay more for a company with better business ethics. Was curious to know views on this as almost every cruise line seems to do it.

My question is will our names be blacklisted as we took it off? I do not wanted to be treated like dirt on the ship.

This is a big misconception. It is NOT a mandatory charge, but it is more of a convenience to passengers who want to prepay their gratuities before they get onboard. You don't HAVE TO prepay them. They will automaticall add it to your S&S account on a daily basis. You have the right to dispute the amount if you feel the level of service did not meet your expectations. And you must do it while onboard, not after you get home. Instead of reflecting poor service in the amount of tip that you leave, which goes unknown to management, they now have the ability to see who the problem employees and address it.

And prepaying your gratuities doesn't mean the staff doesn't work for it. My DH works at a 5 star 5 diamond resort where the auto gratuity is 19%. He works hard for that and works even harder trying to get that extra cash tip by exceeding a guest expectations. Are all workers the same? No. But don't assume that all employees don't care because they know they are getting their tip already. They still have to work hard to get better sections/more tables.

My husband and I are from the UK and over here we tip, but not as often as our friends from across the pond I have observed.

When booking my Carnival cruise the gratuity was added on so I cancelled it. I am well aware the wages on ships are gratuities are a large chunk of the crew's bread and butter but I have serious problem with tipping before I have had the service. If the staff are rude on Carnival I wont tip and If they are a joy I will. I'm also annoyed companies are ran this way in pushing their customers to pay the wages that the company itself should do and take responsibility for. As much as I realise this is to keeps costs down I would rather pay more for a company with better business ethics. Was curious to know views on this as almost every cruise line seems to do it.

My question is will our names be blacklisted as we took it off? I do not wanted to be treated like dirt on the ship.

My views????

I may not believe or agree with the common culture and practices of other countries. However,,, I respect them.

Here in the States, we have a saying,,,, When in Rome, do as the Romans.

There is a list. Blacklisted might be a harsh term.

Consider the 'tips' as part of the cruise, since.....well, that's what they are, and pay them. That way the crew will know that you aren't a piker and intend to pay your bills. Then, when yo get the great service that you will, give'em a tip.

The system works. Whether it could work in another business or whether the cruise lines should change the system has never been an item of interest for me.

I wasn't implying that the employees wouldn't care and I realise it is optional, its more of a gripe with cruise companies themselves operating their business and paying their staff in the manner that they do. In the UK hardly anywhere has the 'tipping makes most of your wage' philosophy. Theres a very reasonable minimum wage ( 6 pounds- 9 dollars an hour) and tips are a bonus.

Just been reading a post about Aussies being similar in their views.

As to the being in Rome comment my cruise is UK to Russia so it is sort of my turf. ;)

NCL calls it a service charge.. so that would be ok with you? I hear NCL makes it very hard to remove.

As far as tipping .. I have it added onboard.. and its not added the first day and I always have the option of removing it.

I guess thats why they want to charge UK pax more $$$ .. and their TAs list the prices higher usually .. because carnival needs to make up for the nontippers over there.

Aussies.. same way.. they add the tips into the cruisefare.. because aussies dont believe in tipping either.. so they charge them more.

either way you pay

This is discussed on a pretty regular basis around here so if you want to see people's views, a search of this forum will bring up tons of threads.

Personally, while we never prepay the service charges on any line, we have always left them in place. Having them done automatically makes life so much easier and we've never had any issues with service that made us consider reducing or removing it. We have occasionally given extra directly to those crew members who we felt went above and beyond.

I wasn't implying that the employees wouldn't care and I realise it is optional, its more of a gripe with cruise companies themselves operating their business and paying their staff in the manner that they do. In the UK hardly anywhere has the 'tipping makes most of your wage' philosophy. Theres a very reasonable minimum wage ( 6 pounds- 9 dollars an hour) and tips are a bonus.

As to the being in Rome comment my cruise is UK to Russia so it is sort of my turf. ;)

Before you edited, you asked the question of will the staff know ahead of time that you have removed your gratuities.

Yes, they will know. Will they treat or serve you differently? Probably not. They're more professional than that.

Edit. I should have explained more thoughly.

All you have done is removed the "pre-paid" gratuities

What will happen now is that when you board the ship,,, the full gratuity will be applied to your on board account automatically.

Then, if you object to this, you must go to the Guest Services desk and request the gratuities be removed.

A note will then be generated to the Department Heads indicating that cabin number XXXX has removed all gratuites.

The Department Heads will assume that their people have somehow given you bad service or upset you in some way. They will call in their employees and question them has to what they did to upset you. They will explain that they did nothing, but now they know.

Who knows,,, you may get better service now

The Alaska Repertory Theatre Company puts out a Tee-shirt with their name on the front and their motto on the back.

Their motto?

" We don't care how they do it in New York"

NCL calls it a service charge.. so that would be ok with you? I hear NCL makes it very hard to remove.

As far as tipping .. I have it added onboard.. and its not added the first day and I always have the option of removing it.

I guess thats why they want to charge UK pax more $$$ .. and their TAs list the prices higher usually .. because carnival needs to make up for the nontippers over there.

Aussies.. same way.. they add the tips into the cruisefare.. because aussies dont believe in tipping either.. so they charge them more.

either way you pay

And the Aussies pay a higher charge than they would if they just paid daily fee. The company must charge more to deal with it.

Before you edited, you asked the question of will the staff know ahead of time that you have removed your gratuities.

Yes, they will know. Will they treat or serve you differently? Probably not. They're more professional than that.

wennfred did a behind the scenes years back and got a picture of the page posted in the staff area of the list of those who removed tips.

If you remove tips... and think its ok to be on that list.. its your decision, but yes they know. Some have even been known to ask people why.

Since you removed prepaid tips.. now you will be charge automatic tips once onboard.. you will have to remove these as well if you plan on not tipping as much as suggested.

My views????

I may not believe or agree with the common culture and practices of other countries. However,,, I respect them.

Here in the States, we have a saying,,,, When in Rome, do as the Romans.

OMG - I had the exact same thoughts as you - like you read my mind - word for word! p.s. When I traveled abroad, whether in England, France, Italy - we always tipped as we would as if we were here at home.

And the Aussies pay a higher charge than they would if they just paid daily fee. The company must charge more to deal with it.

Your comment made me have a little peek at my cruise on the US site. The UK Carnival charges 100 pounds (150 dollars) more for the same room on the same cruise.

Interesting.

When I traveled abroad, whether in England, France, Italy - we always tipped as we would as if we were here at home.

Be careful with that thought. There are some cultures where tipping is an insult.

you can have the tip removed the last night or morning and not have to worry about "the list".

right if you are ashamed of what you are doing, and want to be sneaky about it, and not let the crew know ahead of time, sure be sneaky about it.

If Im going to do something, I dont sneak. Id remove it.. talk to my waiter or cabin steward and tell them what Im going to tip etc.. Im upfront.

I have read more than one article about Europeans trashing American tourists for their manners, language, clothing, disrespectful behavior in England's hallowed halls etc. Yet, Europeans cruise out of American ports on cruise lines following American traditions of tipping for services rendered complain about giving dollars to crew members. They spend more on one bar drink than a day's recommended tip.

OR is it really because Europeans have a different history with servants and servitude?

Do they simply expect others to wait on them as if they are royalty?

I wasn't implying that the employees wouldn't care and I realize it is optional, its more of a gripe with cruise companies themselves operating their business and paying their staff in the manner that they do. In the UK hardly anywhere has the 'tipping makes most of your wage' philosophy. Theres a very reasonable minimum wage ( 6 pounds- 9 dollars an hour) and tips are a bonus.

While you may be cruising in Europe, you are doing it on an American line and tipping is the way we do it here. You may feel that the wage structure in the UK is the way to go, but it really doesn't matter. Tip however you want, but just be sure you do tip. (And I realize you can't tell tone on a message board, so please understand I am not trying to be rude.)

Be careful with that thought. There are some cultures where tipping is an insult.

Wow - really? I don't think the places I've been to though. The people were very glad to take my money! lol BTW, where are these places - I think I'll have to go there! Cheaper vacay.

I have read more than one article about Europeans trashing American tourists for their manners, language, clothing, disrespectful behavior in England's hallowed halls etc. Yet, Europeans cruise out of American ports on cruise lines following American traditions of tipping for services rendered complain about giving dollars to crew members. They spend more on one bar drink than a day's recommended tip.

OR is it really because Europeans have a different history with servants and servitude?

Do they simply expect others to wait on them as if they are royalty?

It always feel good to be judged when simply posting a question.

Its nothing to do with servitude, and as a anti monarchist I dont want to

be treated as royalty thanks very much. As far as the UK's history goes with servants it is similar to that of the US but thats getting off topic.

Its about big companies screwing both staff and customers to get big money that irks me. I don't mind paying more for a company that has the morals to pay their staff properly instead of pressuring people to tip so their staff get a good deal.

I am sailing out of a UK port by the way.

Tipping happens a lot here, esp with taxi drivers, concierge and restaurants but there are some places that certainly would not expect it but be pleased.

While you may be cruising in Europe, you are doing it on an American line and tipping is the way we do it here. You may feel that the wage structure in the UK is the way to go, but it really doesn't matter. Tip however you want, but just be sure you do tip. (And I realize you can't tell tone on a message board, so please understand I am not trying to be rude.)

I don't think it's an American line. It flies under a different flag.

right if you are ashamed of what you are doing, and want to be sneaky about it, and not let the crew know ahead of time, sure be sneaky about it.

If Im going to do something, I dont sneak. Id remove it.. talk to my waiter or cabin steward and tell them what Im going to tip etc.. Im upfront.

Or maybe you aren't ashamed but fearful the crew will treat you poorly. That alone is an excellent reason to remove the tips on the last night.

It always feel good to be judged when simply posting a question.

Its nothing to do with servitude, and as a anti monarchist I dont want to

be treated as royalty thanks very much. As far as the UK's history goes with servants it is similar to that of the US but thats getting off topic.

Its about big companies screwing both staff and customers to get big money that irks me. I don't mind paying more for a company that has the morals to pay their staff properly instead of pressuring people to tip so their staff get a good deal.

I am sailing out of a UK port by the way.

Tipping happens a lot here, esp with taxi drivers, concierge and restaurants but there are some places that certainly would not expect it but be pleased.

You aren't "screwing" the big companies, you are screwing the little guy by failing to tip the crew members who provide the personal attentions that make cruising the perfect vacation. There are several cruise lines that fit your requirements. Tipping is not expected and crew members are compensated in accordance. Sail with one of them.

I read somewhere on here that the cruise lines get taxed more if they just build it into the cruise fare. Not only that, but the first cruise line that did it would instantly look more expensive compared to the others.

Wow - really? I don't think the places I've been to though. The people were very glad to take my money! lol BTW, where are these places - I think I'll have to go there! Cheaper vacay.

Tahiti is one of those places. When we visited I knew tipping was a no no. However we did a tour with a couple that apparently did not know this. They attempted to tip a tour guide, while he was polite you could tell it did offend him that they offered and he did refuse to take it. They apologized however I do feel you should be aware of these customs before you travel.

Archived