Warning regarding taxi ripoffs at port in Lisbon

We just finished a 2 week TA on Silversea Spirit which ended in Lisbon. Great trip--except for the taxi cabs at the Lisbon Port.

We were docked at Alcantara, which is the main passenger port in Lisbon. First day there, we wanted to go to Belem for lunch. We had been to Lisbon before and docked in the same spot, so I knew it wasn't terribly far, though further than we wanted to walk.

We went out of the passenger terminal. THere was one taxi there. The guy wanted 5 euros apiece for the 4 of us, so 20 euro total. I told him that was ridiculous, that I had been to Lisbon before and knew it should not be more than about 5 euro total. He refused to use the meter, so we walked out of the port area (not far at all) and hailed a taxi on the street. He did use the meter, and total fare was 4.50 euro.

Next morning, at disembarkation, I had been assured by the concierge desk that there would be plenty of taxis available, so I did not pre arrange transportation.

There were indeed plenty of taxis, but they wanted 35 euro for the trip to the airport. The first guy in line was the guy who tried to rip us off the day prior. They all refused to use the meter and claimed it was a set fare (a complete lie, according to a local who I talked to later. He also told me it should have been around 20 euro.) Since we had to get to the airport and had luggage which we couldn't really drag out to the street, I picked a different guy in line, but still had to pay the 35 euro.

So just be forewarned.

I had been pre warned about taxi drivers in Lisbon ages ago when I went on a weekend break to the city. When we arrived at the airport I ensured we negotiated the price before we got in and it was OK.

Throughout our stay I asked them before we got into the taxi how much it would cost to go from A to B and I don't think we got ripped off. In fact, we found the taxis in Lisbon cheap compared to other European capitals.

Anyway, thanks for making people aware of this.

It is not just Lisbon. You have to be careful everywhere.

It is not enough that the meter is on, the meter has to be on 1 if it is a daytime ride. Many cities have 2, sometimes 3 fare rates based upon time of day and/or stats. A common trick for less than honest drivers is to put the meter on but punch in fare code 3 which is often a much higher stat rate. You can usually see the fare code on the meter to the left of the actual fare window.

Yes, that is true about the meter. I had been told that ahead of time, so really paid attention during our other rides where we were able to hail a cab on the street and have him use the meter. And all three of those were just fine, with no attempt at rip off.

The bad thing is at the port, the cab drivers all band together and refuse to use the meter. There were probably 20 cabs out there, and they all refused. With luggage, you are pretty stuck as you can't just walk out of the port to the street.

Next time, I will pre arrange a transfer if disembarking at the port in Lisbon.

There are some options if departing from the airport

1) fixed price rides - buy a taxi voucher from a tourist desk in arrivals hall. Couple of years ago it was around 15€ for any place in Lisbon, probably higher now

2) go one flight of stairs to Departures & get a cab there. Unlike arrivals there is no dispatcher to hail a cab; they just line up so you are not rushed into the first available cab. In any case meter should be on and if driver chooses to ignore it go to the next one.

I was in Lisbon many times and never had a problem with any type of haggling or not turning meter issues. Metered taxis in Lisbon are very reasonably priced and cars are mostly large (enough for 4)

1) fixed price rides - buy a taxi voucher from a tourist desk in arrivals hall. Couple of years ago it was around 15€ for any place in Lisbon, probably higher now

2) go one flight of stairs to Departures & get a cab there. Unlike arrivals there is no dispatcher to hail a cab; they just line up so you are not rushed into the first available cab. In any case meter should be on and if driver chooses to ignore it go to the next one.

I was in Lisbon many times and never had a problem with any type of haggling or not turning meter issues. Metered taxis in Lisbon are very reasonably priced and cars are mostly large (enough for 4)

We did this and I was very satisfied. A gentleman met us at the tourist desk, carried my luggage to his Mercedes and drove us to our hotel. He was also a licensed tour guide and offered his services, but we were already on a tour. I thought that it was a very nice service.

Sorry to contradict your advice. DO NOT BUY the taxi vouchers - they are a bigger rip-off than the taxi drivers. You pay double the price with the vouchers.

Also, DO NOT NEGOTIATE A PRICE. The taxis have meters and are obliged by law to use them. Just ask them kindly to put the meter on or just point to it before closing the door.

I am not advising to buy taxi vouchers just saying that is an option for people who want fixed price ride. Short rides (within 5 min or so); for example to Oriente station area hotels is not worth the price of the voucher. Going to somewhere is Bairro Alto area is probably worth it.

Archived