Dublin shuttle bus

Hi. We are going on the Celebrity Infinity British Isles cruise in August. I have searched this forum and found comments about a shuttle from the port to Dublin area sites. Is this shuttle run by the government, the ship or a private company? How can I get information on routes and timetables? Can I arrange this ahead of time? Is there a websight? I did a search here and on the web and came up empty.

Thanks for all your help.

Margee

When there is a shuttle bus service at a port (no matter who runs it), they will run continuously all day back and forth from the ship. There is no need to book in advance you just stand in line and get on the next bus. Sometimes you can book in advance on the ship, but you still have to wait in line, the ticket is not for a certain time.

Since you are from Dublin I thought I would ask you directly a question about our layover in Dublin. We are doing an overnight layover coming back from our cruise in Venice. We arrive in Dublinat 1:30 pm on a Sunday and our flight back to the US doesn't leave until Monday at 10:50 am. We have been to Dublin before but our traveling companions have not. Thought a layover would be a quick way to enjoy the city. We want to head into Dublin and hit food & drinking. The question is whether to stay in a hotel inside the city of stay near the airport and grab a taxi into town. Any opinions?

Rachel

I'd be inclined to stay in town. An airport hotel is the same anywhere - sound of low flying jets and smell of aviation fuel and panoramic views over the parking lots.

If your flight arrives to schedule you will have most of the afternoon in town and the evening. Just allow time on Monday morning to get to the airport as there will be a lot more traffic around.

Hi, Rachel,

I am staying near the port, off the Crystal Symphony on 24 August. I am paying $66 a night with a private en suite and balcony; however, no brekkie. Take a look at the photos on this website. You can e-mail with the Hosts before booking:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/936063

$42 - Dublin Airport, We'll pick you up! Bed & Breakfast - Private room · Drynam Square, Swords, Dublin, Ireland

We are very easy going people and know lots about this great area, restaurants and activities. We are more than happy to give you advice or let you just enjoy the area on your own. We always make sure everyone around us is very comfortable. Our background is over 20 years in the Hospitality Industry so you can rest assured you are in the right hands. We enjoy traveling around Ireland and spend our spare time working or walking our dogs. If we have any more spare time, we enjoy a glass of wine and a good old chat. We will provide you with all the information you need so that you do not waste any of your valuable time in Dublin. We believe that you will get out of life as much as you put in! Just arrive in Dublin and leave the rest to us. Des & Sinead

82 REVIEWS, ALL 5 STARS.

Hi let us be your hosts, My house offers four bedrooms for a short or long term stay for visitors to Dublin's fair city. The house, built over three floors, it is very spacious, modern, and in a great location.

- 5 minutes from Dublin Airport

- 5 minutes from the coast

- 20 minutes to the city centre by local bus or train.

Accommodation will include breakfast: Selection of cereal, eggs, toast, bagels, cheese, jams, tea, coffee, and orange juice. A selection of herbal teas, tea and coffee are always available 24 hours. Airport pickup and drop off can usually be organised for a small fee of €5 each way for 4 people. Once you are settled in, a few minutes by car brings you to the vibrant village of Malahide which boasts a lovely 12th century castle set on 250 acres of park land. There are over 25 restaurants to choose from in this award-winning pretty seaside town, along with traditional Irish pubs with live music. Ladies boutiques, a yachting marina and the beach are also a big feature in Malahide village. A further five minutes along the coast is Portmarnock beach, nicknamed The Velvet Strand due to the beautiful smooth sand along the beach, and is popular with wind and kite surfers. The local double decker bus is a 20 minute ride to the heart of Dublin city centre and costs €2.80. Here you can visit all your planned attractions whether it be Temple Bar, The Guinness factory, Dublin Castle or just take a stroll around the city's streets and listen to the street buskers crooning. This house has a unique destination as it offers you everything you need on your visit to Dublin within a short distance and if you want more than just a city break then there are plenty of fishing villages scattered around. The M1 motorway is only a stone throw away and offers a direct access to everywhere in Ireland North ,South, East and West. So if it is a short break for you in Dublin, an airport layover or just a place to sleep for a night before you go touring, you can rest assured that we will pull out all of the stops to make sure that your stay in my home is a pleasant and memorable experience for you and yours. This house is a great launching pad if you are travelling Ireland for your first night before touring the country and your last night before departure.

INCLUDED WITH YOUR RESERVATION:

- Very warm welcome, - Breakfast, - Wireless Internet access, - Hot power shower, - Two soft bath towels per person, - Printing facilities, Hairdryers, - Cable Television, - Car Parking, - Malahide Castle drop off, - Dublin tour guide books, - All dietary requests met, - Sound advice.

We look forward to hosting you! Des & Sinead

Interaction with Guests: We are always here to answer your questions and give you advise on all that Dublin as to offer no matter how short your stay is.

Getting around: The local bus stop is a five minute walk to the end of the road and will take you straight to the heart of Dublin city centre.

We did the Infinity last year and stopped in Dublin. We used the shuttle. It is a private motorcoach company hired by either Celebrity or provided by some tourism entity in Dublin. As mentioned previously, they run continuously between ship and the Dublin drop off site.

We had intended on taking a cab into town, but were so impressed with the speed that the shuttles were circulating, that we chose to take it instead.

One thing I highly recommend is that you take your map of Dublin and when you get off the shuttle bus, ask the driver to MARK YOUR MAP with the shuttle stop. Once you've spent a long day in town, you may need that help to find your way back to the stop. I've employed this tactic more than once and it's been great. When I can't find my way, it's much easier to show a local the map and ask directions to the mark on the map, than it is to find yourself.

https://www.airbnb.com/s/DUBLIN-O'CONNELL-STREET?guests=2&source=bb

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1421663?guests=2&s=iACG

$82 - Heart of Dublin! Double bedroom

Apartment - Private room · Shaw Street, Dublin 2, Ireland

We have a spare double bedroom in our flat. The room comes with its own bathroom and it's located a 8-minutes walking from the Trinity College main gate, 2 mins from Tara Train Station and 5 mins from the Bus Station!

The Space: Our spare room is fitted with a double bed and a desk, plus two coffee tables on each side with drawers for your personal use. It can fit up to two people only. It's kept clean and tidy all the time. Of course, you could use the kitchen, fridge, washing machine, iron board and appliances during your stay. We have WiFi as well. If you smoke, there is no problem. We do have a balcony in the flat. And no pets with us.

Guest Access: Our flat is in a second floor of a secured building. It's really well connected to any kind of transportation. Apart from being situated between two main train/DART stations (Tara & Pearse), we have the Westmoreland / Trinity Aircoach stop close by and the Busaras Station just crossing the bridge over the Liffey river, where you have a LUAS (tram) stop. There is a public gym right around the corner that you could you use without membership and a city public bikes dock. Temple bar is 10 minutes away, where you will have access to all kind of pubs, clubs and restaurants. Grafton Street, and O´Connell Street, Stephen´s Green and Merrion Parks, everything within a 10-15 minutes walk.

The Neighborhood: The main point is that we live in a busy area, especially on weekday mornings. We have a bridge train across the street and traffic passing by. No one has ever complained, and as long as you have the windows closed, you barely notice. But better let you know if you are a light-sleeper!

BORJA: School: Instituto Leonardo da Vinci (Majadahonda), University Juan Carlos I, Madrid, Spain

Work: Embassy of Spain / SAP AG

About: We are a young couple of professionals working in Dublin, Borja & Sara. I'm from Spain and Sara is from Germany. We both are enthusiasts of traveling and we loved our flat, so it seemed like a good idea to try Airbnb and share it with the world. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Since you are from Dublin I thought I would ask you directly a question about our layover in Dublin. We are doing an overnight layover coming back from our cruise in Venice. We arrive in Dublinat 1:30 pm on a Sunday and our flight back to the US doesn't leave until Monday at 10:50 am. We have been to Dublin before but our traveling companions have not. Thought a layover would be a quick way to enjoy the city. We want to head into Dublin and hit food & drinking. The question is whether to stay in a hotel inside the city of stay near the airport and grab a taxi into town. Any opinions?

Rachel

Hi and sorry for the late reply (just got off the independence )

Defo stay in town not near the airport. Not much near the airport. Although you would pay a bit more for a city hotel it would be better as you could save it back by getting the bus to the airport..

• 4 weeks later...
We did the Infinity last year and stopped in Dublin. We used the shuttle. It is a private motorcoach company hired by either Celebrity or provided by some tourism entity in Dublin. As mentioned previously, they run continuously between ship and the Dublin drop off site.

We had intended on taking a cab into town, but were so impressed with the speed that the shuttles were circulating, that we chose to take it instead.

One thing I highly recommend is that you take your map of Dublin and when you get off the shuttle bus, ask the driver to MARK YOUR MAP with the shuttle stop. Once you've spent a long day in town, you may need that help to find your way back to the stop. I've employed this tactic more than once and it's been great. When I can't find my way, it's much easier to show a local the map and ask directions to the mark on the map, than it is to find yourself.

The Infinity is in Dublin for 2 days and we were thinking of a late evening on the first day. Do the shuttles run late, say until 10PM or midnight (or all night)?

Fridge, we will be overnighting in Dublin on the Infinity. We have tickets for the Crowe Classic. If we take the shuttle to near Trinity College, how far is the walk to Crowe Park Stadium? Is it walkable or will we need a taxi? Thank you in advance for any advice.

Joann

Hi sorry for the delayed reply, it is Croke Park you're going to to see the American Football ?

From trinity college it is approx 3k. I would just take a taxi from trinity or a taxi from the port. There is options of a train but I am not a train user so wouldn't be 100% (but it would involve walk,luas and then train.)

Thank you very much Fridge. Yes, we are going to the American football game and following your advice will take a taxi. If we are unable to get a taxi on the return, are there any safety issues in the areas that we may be walking?

Joann

To be honest you will probably be too excited and possibly full of beer to notice the walk back. Follow the crowd to city if your not in a rush. Ask people too if you are lost, we are a friendly bunch.

No safety concerns really, its like any city stay safe using common sense.

Thank you very much Fridge. We are excited to have the opportunity to visit Dublin. We will be there for two days and if everyone is as helpful as you, I am sure it will be the highlight of our trip.

Joann

• 4 weeks later...

Is the shuttle bus different from the city busses? If so, does anyone know the name of the shuttle company? Does anyone know the cost...round trip...

Our itinerary (Royal Princess-May 2015) says this is a tendered port. Will the tenders drop off at the same port?

Thank you for your help...

Is the shuttle bus different from the city busses? If so, does anyone know the name of the shuttle company? Does anyone know the cost...round trip...

Our itinerary (Royal Princess-May 2015) says this is a tendered port. Will the tenders drop off at the same port?

Thank you for your help...

The Royal Princess will be in Dun Laoghaire Port not Dublin Port. There are wheelchair accessible ramps for the tenders. There are buses and a train service available from Dun Laoghaire to Dublin.

Thank you for the port information, certainly makes a difference. I was under the impression there was only one port and itinerary only said Dublin.

Thank you for the train information too. Is the DART close to the port?

Here is a link to the ships which will be calling to Dun Laoghaire (Dublin). Dun Laoghaire is a town to the south of Dublin.

There is a good bus service and local rail transport (Dart) to Dublin city centre.

http://dlharbour.ie/visit-us/cruise/

Thank you...you've been a big help! The train sounds like it's the way to go...

Edited by flgirl543