regal balcony- SMALL?

dptt

I hear the BALCONYS on the REGAL, and the cabins, are small. Are they comfortable for two people? Are they smaller then on other Princess ships? We are looking at a balcony on BAJA deck mid aft. THANK YOU

The balconies for most cabins on the Regal are narrower than on most Princess ships at a little less than 4'. We find the balcony too narrow to sit facing out at the sea, but rather need to face forward or aft. Although we would prefer a much wider balcony, we make the best of it.

It's not a deal breaker for us because there are so many other features we enjoy on the Regal and Royal.

Lew

Yep. Other than a cup of coffee & some danish it's next to impossible to actually eat a meal of any normal size. It cured us from booking another balcony- at least on the new ships. :p Definitely not worth the extra cost.
We found there are lots of places on the Royal to eat meals of normal size or even meals of abnormal size. We were fine with the balcony size.

We have cruised on the Royal (sister to Regal) twice and have found that the balconies are a little smaller than that found on the other class ships. Having said that both my DW and I are not small people but we have had not problems using the balconies. Yes you can't have a party on one but to sit and relax they work fine.

Island Princess 2008 Alaska

Island Princess 2009 (B2B) Alaska

Royal Princess (Old) 2010 Alaska

Golden Princess 2011 Alaska

Coral Princess 2012 Panama Canal

Star Princess 2012 Alaska

Island Princess 2013 Alaska

Crown Princess 2013 Western Caribbean

Caribbean Princess 2013 Western Caribbean

Royal Princess 2014 Eastern Caribbean

Royal Princess 2014 New England

Emerald Princess 2014 Western Caribbean

Others have commented on balcony depth...as far as cabins I found them to be the same size as other Princess ships. They are very nicely appointed, have plenty of space, very comfortable beds and wonderful large flat screen TVs with excellent free on-demand movie library,nTV shoes, etc.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Grand class ships have some decks with massive balconies and most that say these are too small are used to those. That said, I prefer a bigger balcony and these are smallish, more comparable to RCCL and Carnival size.

We found there are lots of places on the Royal to eat meals of normal size or even meals of abnormal size. We were fine with the balcony size.

Of course there are other places to eat meals but most people want the experience of eating on their balcony, not just in the Horizon or Alfredo's .

You're a perfect example of why Princess shrunk the balcony size to that of the newer ships. Some people wouldn't complain if it were even smaller. ;)

Grand class ships have some decks with massive balconies and most that say these are too small are used to those. That said, I prefer a bigger balcony and these are smallish, more comparable to RCCL and Carnival size.

Yes, I'm a Grand Class, Caribe balcony type of person. I'm sailing this fall on the Regal because it fits my schedule, but I would prefer sailing on a Grand class ship where you can stretch out and put your feet up.

There are larger balconies on the Royal/Regal. There are the midship mini suites which we love with the large angled balconies, but I believe there are balcony cabins on Emerald and Dolphin with the larger balconies as well as Deluxe balcony cabins aft. just have to do your homework and book far enough ahead to get the larger balconies if that's what you enjoy. As do we! We loved our cruise on the Regal this past fall and I think the rooms are as large as on the Grand class and much better appointed as has already been mentioned. enjoy the Regal; she's a great ship with wonderful food and a great crew. Service was excellent!

The mini-suites are in this hump area that is built out. They may have more balcony space.

The mini suites on the Royal / Regal are scattered throughout the ship and with few exceptions have the same size balconies (small) as the Balcony / Deluxe Balcony cabins.

There are larger balconies on the Royal/Regal. There are the midship mini suites which we love with the large angled balconies, but I believe there are balcony cabins on Emerald and Dolphin with the larger balconies as well as Deluxe balcony cabins aft. just have to do your homework and book far enough ahead to get the larger balconies if that's what you enjoy. As do we! We loved our cruise on the Regal this past fall and I think the rooms are as large as on the Grand class and much better appointed as has already been mentioned. enjoy the Regal; she's a great ship with wonderful food and a great crew. Service was excellent!

Thank you for confirming that the mini-suite, mid-ship cabins on the Regal have larger balconies. I've booked a mini-suite in the area that you have described--it's mid-ship, angled a little toward the front of the ship. These cabins are in the hump area that is built out from the ship. I chose it over the other cabins guessing that those balconies would be larger. Most of the other mini-suites look like they have the same size balcony as the regular cabins, though, as they would have to so that the cabins would all line up with each other.

Edited by Mackenzie1

We had a standard balcony on the Royal which is pictured in my review in the signature below. The balcony size is the same on the Regal for a standard balcony.

We had a standard balcony on the Caribbean Princess 2 weeks ago on Baja deck and have a pic in the review below also. They will help you see the comparison.

There are larger balconies on cabins mid-ship, forward and aft on the Royal/Regal ships.

They are on mini-suites, Deluxe Cabins and standard cabins. An example of a larger balcony is in my Regal review.

We also saw no difference in standard cabin size between Grand Class and Royal/Regal class. The Deluxe has more room for a loveseat. The mini-suite we visited is no different from the Grand class in size.

The lack of mirrored headboards on the Royal/Regal ships makes a difference in perception in my opinion. :D

I cannot comment on RCCL balcony size, but by looking at the photo above on the Royal, that balcony depth is definitely smaller than Carnival's standard balcony depth. On the Carnival ships, we've always been able to face the chairs looking straight out to the ocean and not have to angle them and still have a bit of leg room and room to walk/stand in front of the chair.

Either way, it's still great to have a balcony no matter what the size. :)

The size of the balcony would never be a deal breaker for us, but we sailed on the Regal last December and on the CB in February. We were in a mini-suite on the Regal and a standard balcony cabin on the CB. The difference in size is amazing. The balconies on Regal are ridiculously small and from what I saw there are not a lot that are bigger. We were on the Lido Deck, forward. Other than the ridiculously small balconies the Regal is a fine ship, but then so is the CB.

The balconies for most cabins on the Regal are narrower than on most Princess ships at a little less than 4'. We find the balcony too narrow to sit facing out at the sea, but rather need to face forward or aft. Although we would prefer a much wider balcony, we make the best of it.

It's not a deal breaker for us because there are so many other features we enjoy on the Regal and Royal.

Lew

Can't agree with you more. The pros sooo far outweigh the cons. The balconies are so tiny.

On our Regal trip next week, we will see about having our balconies connected with our sons next door. Hope it's possible.

1371043363025-RoyalPrincess-288-1306120929_3_4_r383_c0-0-380-510.jpg?50fc00bf5ab7468a0e0d29f64f706e982e0d3912

The balconies on the Royal / Regal are very small IMO. Whether they are good enough or not good enough is subjective so I thought I would offer some data. I have been on the Royal twice and on the second cruise I had a portable tape measure (the key ring type). Please look at the picture posted by Mackenzie above. Out of curiosity I measured the distance between the outer frame of the sliding glass door and the inner frame of the railing. This was 3 feet 3 inches. This distance is what I consider the usable space. I could get about 3 more inches on the side were the glass is fixed but I could not leave a chair in that position, next to the glass, as the sliding glass portion interferes. Princess advertises these balconies as 4 feet in depth. The only way I could get 4 feet was to measure from the corners (where the sliding glass doors do not reach) and the outer edge of the balcony floor. This is not the usable space.

My wife and I (both slender) could sit reasonably comfortable as long as the chairs were angled and their backs were in their upright position. The balconies on the Dolphin and Caribe decks of the Grand class ships are night and day in comparison. The standard balconies on Grand class are nominally a foot larger in depth and this foot makes a difference IMO.

Edited by bluesea321

We were in a mini-suite on the Baja deck (B333) of the Regal last November and a premium balcony on the Dolphin deck (D510) on the Royal this past February. The balconies were the same size on both. Neither stateroom was one of the angled ones. While we could not sit facing directly to the sea, both my wife and I found it adequate if we sat at a 45 degree angle to the sea facing each other. We found it acceptable even though much smaller than those on Caribe on the Grand class.

We did not think the staterooms were any smaller than those on our other Princess cruises.