Comparing Princess and Celebrity

Bimmer09

Hi and welcome to MY comparison of the cruising experience offered by Princess and Celebrity.

I had to wait until I actually sailed X after 8 superb cruises on Princess although I could make all this stuff up with the help of CC and Google. What'll you'll get is the unvarnished truth (I ran out of varnish) and a fair report. Punches will not be pulled, gum shields are for cissies etc. I want a good clean fight with as much gouging and biting as the Marquis of Queensbury will allow.

IN THE BLUE CORNER WEIGHING IN AT 113,000 GROSS TONNES, 10 OUNCES, 951 FEET LONG, 118 FEET WIDE-FROM HAMILTON BERMUDA-

RUBY PRINCESS

(Princess Fans should cheer NOW)

16238265747_d96e8e2392_b.jpg

IN THE RED CORNER WEIGHING IN AT 122,000 GROSS TONNES, 6 OUNCES,

1,033 FEET LONG, 121 FEET WIDE, FROM VALLETTA, MALTA-

CELEBRITY SILHOUETTE

24627725441_c0138af9c6_b.jpg

(Celebrity fans it's your turn NOW)

Some of you are already asking WHY?

Some of you are already asking WHY ON EARTH?

Some of you are already asking IN GOD'S NAME WHY?

The answer is simple.

To dispel ignorance and misconception among those who only sail Princess and those who only sail Celebrity. To inform those who sailed either line years ago and didn't find it up to snuff but haven't been back to see if the line has improved.

To boldly go where no man has gone before and give an A to Z appraisal of each line's provision of a Cruising Experience-in detail with photos and video (if need be). What's Good Bad and Ugly (if anything) on each line.

We ( I mean I) will look at everything from the moment the idea to cruise enters your head to the moment your sorry butt is ejected from the ship and you're facing a Customs Officer.

For those who don't like a long read, I thank you for reading this far. If you need the bottom line right up front I'll just tell you that we (My Traveling Companion Carol and I) have a future Celebrity booking.

I've been writing a review on the X board for the past 3 weeks and have met many X folk who are curious about Princess. I know there are some folks here who are curious about X as I was until this January.

So if you have a mind (and that would be preferred) please follow along.

As always in my reviews or whatever this will be called there is a CYBER BAR-top shelf liquors and munchies so help yourself.

Welcome aboard!

Norris

Looking forward to your comparison as we cruise both lines fairly frequently.

Just curious - as you note that your review will be the unvarnished truth and fair - do you think the myriad of other comparison by cruisers from both lines are untrue or not fair? Opinions can vary widely, I don't think that means they were untrue....

Either way, looking forward to your specific ship to ship review, as that's often a bigger difference than line to line.

Edited by reedprincess

Looking forward to your comparison as we cruise both lines fairly frequently.

Just curious - as you note that your review will be the unvarnished truth and fair - do you think the myriad of other comparison by cruisers from both lines are untrue or not fair? Opinions can vary widely, I don't think that means they were untrue....

Either way, looking forward to your specific ship to ship review, as that's often a bigger difference than line to line.

Hi and welcome. The part highlighted in red- the answer is no. I don't know any of the people who have compared the experiences between PCL and X. I do know me though and that's why this is MY comparison. My opinion only but of course everyone is welcome to chip in. It's a Forum and free speech is welcome.

I have only sailed one X ship versus 7 different Princess ones. That would suggest the deck would be stacked in Princess' favor which I don't want. I have sailed the Ruby twice and think of her as the best representative of the Princess I know.

I haven't sailed the Royal class so that's not a good fit for the comparison.

I think Ruby represents the brand better anyway.

Thanks for the response!

Norris

This isn't going to be a Battle of the Ships per se although the ships will figure in it.

If it was the answer might already be found in my Silhouette review but you'd have to read the whole thing and that's a long read.

No this is more about the Brand Culture and how they go about providing their own cruise experience and that includes what they put in their ships.

The ease of booking your cruise right through to the disembarkation. Between all that there is of course the ship and what it contains to feed you, house you and entertain you.

The reason I am doing it on the Princess board is that I have been living on the X board for 3 weeks solid and have written over 500 of the 1,000 posts in my review on that board.

I surf all the boards, even of lines that I am not intending to sail on (shout out to Costa and MSC- buona sera!) but Princess is where I hang my hat.

Norris

Mission Statement is one of my Core Competencies.

While I will read with interest YOUR comparison I will do so very objectively. One cruise, regardless of which cruise line, can be either wonderful or miserable depending on numerous things.

Since I have not been on a Celebrity cruise I can only go by what so many others have previously posted. Some more positive than others. We have been on HAL, RC, NCL, Carnival and Princess and could give reviews of each, but we have chosen Princess as our preferred line.

So, all this being said, I look forward to your posts.

Norris, followed your review on the Celebrity Boards and have been looking forward to this comparison! Bring it on!!!

Cheers,

Sharon

PS - Your fabulous review already convinced me to give Celebrity a go next time around. :)

Hi and welcome to MY comparison of the cruising experience offered by Princess and Celebrity.

As always in my reviews or whatever this will be called there is a CYBER BAR-top shelf liquors and munchies so help yourself.

Welcome aboard!

Norris

Norris, I followed your X post (and have since read your post on the Emerald). I have just poured myself a cyber drink (no munchies as I'm cruising on the Silhouette in 10 days ;)) and am along for the ride. Looking forward to finding out about PCL.

Kim :)

Should be an interesting read! My 2 cents: The Royal class ships are a better comparison to the Solstice class of X ships. They both represent the brands making changes (good & bad)from the previous class. I loved both the Ruby & the Constellation, but given the choice of Silhouette or Regal, I would go with Regal hands down.

My parents board the Reflection this weekend [emoji3]

While I will read with interest YOUR comparison I will do so very objectively. One cruise, regardless of which cruise line, can be either wonderful or miserable depending on numerous things.

Since I have not been on a Celebrity cruise I can only go by what so many others have previously posted. Some more positive than others. We have been on HAL, RC, NCL, Carnival and Princess and could give reviews of each, but we have chosen Princess as our preferred line.

So, all this being said, I look forward to your posts.

Thank you woody and welcome.

I only have one Celebrity cruise under my belt that is true. Number 2 is already booked. That tells you it wasn't miserable. None of my cruises have been less than enjoyable-maybe I am lucky or just picked two brands that know what they are doing.

Everyone is welcome to voice their opinions and if some people have told of bad experiences with either PCL or X then that was their experience. I can and will only relate my opinion (everybody's got one).

As Princess is your preferred line I am sure you have your reasons when comparing it in your mind to HAL, RC, NCL and Carnival.

I have cruised 8 times on PCL and once on X but I can't wait until I level the playing field with 7 more X cruises before forming an opinion. I only needed one bite of lobster to know I liked it. One oyster to know they wouldn't become my passion.

Thanks for the response and I hope to hear from you again as this gets going.

Cheers,

Norris

Hi and welcome. The part highlighted in red- the answer is no. I don't know any of the people who have compared the experiences between PCL and X. I do know me though and that's why this is MY comparison. My opinion only but of course everyone is welcome to chip in. It's a Forum and free speech is welcome.

I have only sailed one X ship versus 7 different Princess ones. That would suggest the deck would be stacked in Princess' favor which I don't want. I have sailed the Ruby twice and think of her as the best representative of the Princess I know.

I haven't sailed the Royal class so that's not a good fit for the comparison.

I think Ruby represents the brand better anyway.

Thanks for the response!

Norris

I didn't expect you would know those who have done their own various comparisons, just wondering why you comment that yours is honest and fair, thus implying that the others were neither honest nor fair..semantics, yes - but you get my point. I'm sure the others who have offered their comparisons were both honest and fair.

As for the various comparisons on both boards, there have been a lot, and I do look forward to yours also. You're writing style is entertaining, so I expectorant reviews and comparisons will be also. it's always interesting to read other's experiences, often they are so very different even when on the same cruise.

Glad you enjoyed your Celebrity cruise and have another booked, they are a great line as is Princess, hence sailing them both frequently for us. We like some things better on Celebrity and some things better on Princess...

Norris -

As a fan of, and poster to, your great review of your Pacific Princess cruise I am eager to follow along with this comparison.

And as one who has sailed CCL, RCCL, HAL, Seabourn, and Princess (the only line we've repeated) but not yet X this is a comparison in which I am very interested.

And although as you and others note it is one person's perspective, using your PP review as compared to our subsequent personal experience as a guide we will take your PCL-X comparison to heart and with many, many grains of salt (even though I don't salt my food... :cool:).