Grandeur of the Seas 10/8/16

rms519

So, my parents drove to Baltimore, got on the ship, then were told that they were leaving early because they are closing Chesapeake Bay! The ship is supposed to go to Bermuda. I doubt it seeing as the storms are right in the path. RCCL has not informed anyone before the sailing or even right now. My parents decided to get off the ship seeing as we live in NY and can drive to Canada anyway. My parents are loyal Diamond cruisers. Unbelievable how Royal has not informed the passengers. So, they get off the ship and there are many people waiting to board that we're told they can't!! They just shut the doors on these people who were parking cars, etc. their baggage is on the ship! I cannot believe that Royal did not learn anything from the Anthem disaster!! I'm so happy my parents decided to get off the ship, but so disappointed in RCCL that they are so lacking in customer service!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Confusing post

Your parents boarded the ship and got off because....why? because they closed the port or they didn't know where they were going?

And other passengers were denied boarding....why? were they late or becuse the port is closed???

Hi!

There is absolutely NOTHING on RCCL's very accurate, up-to-the minute, posting on their website about the Port of Baltimore and/or the Granduer of the Seas. It lists ALL the other Ports and Ships that have been affected over the last 4-5 days days, with advisories, warnings, closures, refund info. etc. etc., so I find your post HIGHLY SUSPICIOUS (:D) , and your parents very CONFUSED (:eek:). Nice try to cause trouble from a non-Royal cruiser!

- Miriam

Edited by Clancy14

I am sure the coast guard is closing shipping traffic later this evening due to winds at the bay bridge tunnel so that's why she is leaving early, not a port thing. Rci has no control over this. She will most likely head north for a while until the storm turns and then make a run for bermuda

Of course we are not being told the whole story, really why get off, even if a port changes

Edited by setsail

Looks like Royal has some explaining to do. Due to depart at 16:00 and as of 15:35 Marine Traffic has it past the Harbor Tunnel, must have departed pretty close to 3.

I'm guessing this was a last minute Coast Guard decision based on the storm track and the Captain was faced with either leaving early or not leaving at all.

I expect when things settle out Royal will do the right thing according to the situation. Very unfortunate for people who arrived towards the end of the boarding period.

With regard to a possible change of destination, that's just a part of cruising in hurricane season and beyond Royal's control.

Either the Captain screwed up or he made the best decision he could under very trying circumstances.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

Nothing suspicious about the post, just confirmation of ship activity. My nephew was one of those people blocked from boarding with no explanation. I called Crown & Anchor and they knew nothing about it. After investigating, they were only able to tell us the itinerary was changed to Canada. Nephew watched the ship pull out an hour early and has not been able to get info re compensation from any of the RCCL phone lines, including the emergency travel team. We are all Diamond Plus and shareholders, and have no interest in trashing RCCL. Thanks for the post, we now know a lot more than we did before.

Exactly, there is nothing on their site! Hasn't been updated. Not trying to cause trouble and I have, in fact, sailed RCCL. Enjoyed every minute of it too. That is all beside the point. My parents left the ship because they told them they were leaving early because the Bay was closing. At 2:30 vs 4:00. There was much uncertainty so rather than risk staying and dealing with very rough seas or being rerouted, they chose the get off the ship. When they did get off, there were people on the dock who were denied boarding even to get their luggage because the ship closed it's doors. I am not making this up. My parents are diamond and love Royal, but the lack of information is frightening. Look at the radar and weather. Do you think this ship is heading for Bermuda? It's not and it is not fair to the people on board to not give them a choice to get off before setting sail early.

Given the fact that Hurricane Matthew has been in the news for many days now, I don't understand why anyone would believe that it would be going to Bermuda in the first place, or would WANT to go given the weather conditions!

Should Royal Caribbean have made a decision earlier...yes, I agree this is a little late in the game to change plans. I'm truly sorry for everyone who was denied boarding after traveling to Baltimore, and the ones who are oboard and maybe felt they had no choice. It would have been much better all around to have just cancelled the cruise from the get go. It puzzles me that the cruise lines wait till the very last second to make these kind of decisions. :confused:

Hi!

There is absolutely NOTHING on RCCL's very accurate, up-to-the minute, posting on their website about the Port of Baltimore and/or the Granduer of the Seas. It lists ALL the other Ports and Ships that have been affected over the last 4-5 days days, with advisories, warnings, closures, refund info. etc. etc., so I find your post HIGHLY SUSPICIOUS (:D) , and your parents very CONFUSED (:eek:). Nice try to cause trouble from a non-Royal cruiser!

- Miriam

Just an FYI, RCCLs site is definitely not up-to-the-minute. We've been checking all week. Even now it doesn't say anything! Even Carnival Pride changed their itinerary for tomorrow and offered a choice and a full refund. It comes down to passenger safety and proper customer service, period. RCCL dropped the ball on this one.

This is just awful.

How can RCI get it right then get it wrong so many times?

One minute everyone is praising how the Majesty cancellation is handled and this situation just beggars belief.

For those people whose luggage is on the ship but they weren't allowed to board, oh my.

RCI what on earth were you thinking? The path of Matthew has been in the news long enough for someone higher up in RCI to make the right decision as in the Majesty cancellation .

Okay , just read the post just before me, even so Matthew's path has been well documented . Plans should have been in situ

Edited by heatherb1958

How could they possibly get luggage onboard before the people? By the time you drop luggage and walk into the terminal and check in, luggage might be moving towards the ship.

As for anyone who thinks RCI should have know this, REALLY? The storm is moving more north and west than was forecast. This is not RCI's fault. A decision had to be made and it was. Norfolk is going to get slammed with heavy rain and wind which was not forecast until today.

Edited by BND

Wow! Baffles my mind that they wouldn't just cancel!

You do not want a ship up against the pier in heavy seas, rain and wind. It's safer underway. It was probably too late to get people off so they sailed with who they had. This is an act of God, not RCI.

Wow! Baffles my mind that they wouldn't just cancel!

Baffles my mind that "they" got off the ship of their own accord and you want to blame rci. Typical. That link has nothing to do with the Baltimore port. It's the shipping Chanel at the bay entrance closed by the CG and rci had to get out before the cutoff.

I understand it is nature, nothing you can do. BUT, at least give people a choice. As for the luggage, you drop at the porter and go park, luggage is on the ship. Everyone has an opinion until they or someone they know is in that situation. The point is, you are paying a lot of money to go. You should be treated like a valued customer. I'm glad they chose to get off.

I understand it is nature, nothing you can do. BUT, at least give people a choice. As for the luggage, you drop at the porter and go park, luggage is on the ship. Everyone has an opinion until they or someone they know is in that situation. The point is, you are paying a lot of money to go. You should be treated like a valued customer. I'm glad they chose to get off.

I've cruised out of Baltimore several times. Luggage is not put on the ship as soon as it's dropped off. The carts sit until they are full enough and then they are pulled around to the ship. It doesn't happen that fast. How can so many miss the point that RCI had to make a quick decision once the USCG decision was made? I can't believe you don't understand this was not in RCI's control.

It appears from timing that there was not enough time for the cruisers to make a decision and debark anyone and their luggage.. I'm betting they had maybe 1/2 hour to get out or not make it out of the bay. I'm amazed that people think RCI isn't putting safety ahead of everything else. This is NOT about anyone's value as a customer. It's about much more important things.

I do think some need to step back and quit thinking this is personal.

Edited by BND

You do not want a ship up against the pier in heavy seas, rain and wind. It's safer underway. It was probably too late to get people off so they sailed with who they had. This is an act of God, not RCI.

I have no experience of sailing out of Baltimore but was lead to believe it is a long sail out like New Orleans which I do have experience of.

I see you are due to sail on Grandeur soon , may the weather gods be with you:).

They just made the announcement on board. We're not going to Bermuda. They said possibly New England and Canada. They'll let us know for sure in the morning.

We are BOOKING it down the Bay. 21.3 knots the last time I checked. Carnival Pride is also in the Bay already so as to not miss the cutoff.

Sounds like BND has had to much RCCL koolade

Actually a cruiser who does know what he is talking about. Been in this situation myself when Explorer was up in Bayonne but a blizzard coming...had to leave the port early..it was bad...several hundred people waiting for us between san juan and st thomas...depending on which port RCCL could get them into.

I just checked Marine Traffic which shows destination StJohns Canada. Ship appears to be about 2+ hours from mouth of bay. I live in Baltimore and we have had scattered light showers today, but most stopped around3pm. Hang on tonight, but hopefully will have smoother sailing tomorrow.