Grandeur of the Seas 10/8/16

rms519

When we sailed to Bermuda during Hurricane Sandy, we had horrendous seas, with 45+ ft waves, and winds of 100+ with wind gusts up to 187. This was direct from the captain. We were not offered a choice to cancel. We had insurance, but if we didn't sail, we would not be reinbursed. It was a very rough ride, but we made it to Bermuda, and on time. We did not get any type of compensation from RC. We did not complain to RC about our situation. We knew it was during hurricane season. Didn't expect to be put in the middle of one at the end of October, but it was what it was.

^this

Not a dime of OBC. We were thankful to Captain Olaf that we made it to land again. They did open up phone lines and Internet for a while for folks to deal with the terrible situation back home with Sandy. Surprisingly that was my first cruise and I've been back for several since

I can confirm the following as I have clients sailing on this Oct 8 date:

(1) I received an email from RCCL at 2:20 pm on Saturday stating a change of itinerary; but nothing about an early departure.

(2) 2 of my clients who were denied boarding are getting 100% refund. Only issue is with RCCL Shore Excursions. The Emergency Deck is saying they will get on board credit. We are trying to explain to RCCL that they are not on the ship; there is no one to give OBC to!! We really need this refunded also!!

(3) Those on board are getting 50% Future Cruise Credit based on CRUISE FARE only; not total paid on cruise. So you have to deduct the fees, port charges, taxes, gratuities, any discount if you booked during the Buy One Get One Half Off sale, Crown & Anchor Discount, etc. Then that is the balance x 50% = your FCC. So if your total cruise was $1000 per person (cruise, taxes, fees, port charges, etc.); you are NOT getting $500 per person in FCC; you may be getting between $200 and $300 back.

(4) There was a communication breakdown on RCCL's part.

Of course the FCC is based on the fare that you actually paid. What a strange description. Why would it be based on the fare that you DIDN'T pay? And if you paid $1000 per person for your cruise, no more than $200 should be fees and taxes. (Bermuda has high port fees). So a 50% FCC should be about $400.

And I, too, am sure that RC will refund the shore excursions, gratuities and any other pre-paid items.

I just read on the Grandeur [emoji3]book page that they are now getting all their money back for their cruise. They will be in Jersey tonight and tomorrow night. I think they are arriving at the port shortly or have already.

We're here. Just finishing docking now.

No news here about a refund or anything. Only thing we've been told is about the 50% future cruise credit. We'll see what comes in the morning.

It would be interesting to know how many folks tried to leave today, but had second thoughts when told about the $300 penalty.

Why would there be a penalty?

There's a $300 per passenger penalty for violating the PVSA. What's unclear to me is how it applies here. The Grandeur is not visiting a foreign port so technically it is in violation, but it's usually waived in emergencies like this.

It is possible that the penalty could be waived in the case of a round trip but applied in the case of a cruise from Baltimore to NJ, but I certainly don't know this to be the case.

Biker19, are you on the ship?

Roy

Yes, I think that is clear. Why in the world would they stay on a ship when no one is certain of where they're even going? Seems you are confused or simply do not think you deserve to be informed of what is going on. Either way, enjoy your day [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Why, lets see the ship is sailing, not to the original ports, s--- happens, I'm on the ship, know I'm going on a cruise somewhere. Good enough for me. My luggage is on the ship and I'm sailing, good to go!....K.O....Clear enough for you???...:rolleyes:

According to the people on board the Grandeur, they have not received any info about being reimbursed 100%. It really states a 100% future cruise credit. That makes more sense. But, they still haven't been told, as far as I know.

Here is the post I read about it. It is from a Royal Caribbean Blog. Maybe it isn't an actual blog from Royal...I don't know.

Royal Caribbean @RoyalCaribbean Grandeur will now stay in New Jersey from Sunday to Tuesday . Guests will receive a 100% future cruise credit.

9:18 PM - 9 Oct 2016

I guess time will tell if it is true or not.

Gwen :)

Why, lets see the ship is sailing, not to the original ports, s--- happens, I'm on the ship, know I'm going on a cruise somewhere. Good enough for me. My luggage is on the ship and I'm sailing, good to go!....K.O....Clear enough for you???...:rolleyes:

Sure does and you're in the thick of it! Enjoy your cruise to Jersey....[emoji849][emoji106]🏻

My wife and are diamond on RCL and Elite with celebrity. We both have many sailings on all the other major cruise lines, and we own stock in both RCL and NCL. In our experience we have been on 2 RCL cruise when a passenger had medical emergencies and the ship was late, because they made a choice to save a life, we got an extra day on the cruise twice with Royal and one other time on celebrity. Also gained a extra night on royal because of weather in Tampa. On those occasions royal did the right thing. However last January they changed itinerary and left a day later, the biggest problem was lack of communication.

Royal should do a better job with information if it wants to continue to operate out of the north east. Weather in fall and winter will always be a concern. That will never change. If you book for a Bermuda cruise in the fall you gotta know about the possible hurricane , same for winter cruises out of the NE.

All the cruise lines need better info to us prior to sailing!

In the coming years I'm sure our government will be getting involved, to monitor the cruise industry, and it's practices.

According to the people on board the Grandeur, they have not received any info about being reimbursed 100%. It really states a 100% future cruise credit. That makes more sense. But, they still haven't been told, as far as I know.

Here is the post I read about it. It is from a Royal Caribbean Blog. Maybe it isn't an actual blog from Royal...I don't know.

Royal Caribbean @RoyalCaribbean Grandeur will now stay in New Jersey from Sunday to Tuesday . Guests will receive a 100% future cruise credit.

9:18 PM - 9 Oct 2016

I guess time will tell if it is true or not.

What you have highlighted in red came directly from the verified Royal Caribbean twitter account. We should assume it is the correct info, but as always, we can't be absolutely positive because this is, well, Royal Caribbean.

What you have highlighted in red came directly from the verified Royal Caribbean twitter account. We should assume it is the correct info, but as always, we can't be absolutely positive because this is, well, Royal Caribbean.

Someone on the ship just reported that they announced that they get the 100% future cruise credit. Very nice of Royal to do that....

So they are staying docked in NJ for a while and then heading out to Baltimore? I thought our trip last year when we were diverted to St. John's was interesting but this takes the cake. I hope all onboard can enjoy their trip and remember that the folks at guest services were not part of the decision making. I was embarrassed last year by the way some passengers took their frustration

out on the hard working staff. Katherine

Of course the FCC is based on the fare that you actually paid. What a strange description. Why would it be based on the fare that you DIDN'T pay? And if you paid $1000 per person for your cruise, no more than $200 should be fees and taxes. (Bermuda has high port fees). So a 50% FCC should be about $400.

What that poster was describing, is that a $1000 cruise fare is typically advertised as

$1000 fare

$200 taxes and fees

______

$1200 total trip cost

But what the fare is in reality:

$700 Crusie Fare

$300 non commissionable crusie fare (expense reimbursement really)

$200 taxes and fees

-------

$1200 total trip cost

And therefore the cruise credit will be 50% of the $700

My numbers are assumed and rounded to help with clarity, though probably close. Point is a travel agent doesn't get commission on $1000, only $700 as the other $300 in the industry is earmarked not as fare, but as expenses,

So the poster was clarifying that you wont get FCC on the ENTIRE amount of the cruise fare. It is adjusted as per above,

Edited by cle-guy

So they are staying docked in NJ for a while and then heading out to Baltimore? I thought our trip last year when we were diverted to St. John's was interesting but this takes the cake. I hope all onboard can enjoy their trip and remember that the folks at guest services were not part of the decision making. I was embarrassed last year by the way some passengers took their frustration

out on the hard working staff. Katherine

At least they can go into NY city and enjoy that. There is so much to see and do there. I do agree some passengers can be completely obnoxious in how they deal with situations like this which is not the staffs fault at all. A 100% credit is a great way to deal with the situation, but of course it won't be enough for some. I do hope people can take a step back and realize a series of events outside of RCI's control made this happen. A positive attitude can go a long way, but some choose to be miserable regardless.

I'd also bet some of the same people who think weathermen are always wrong are the same ones mad at RCI for not knowing exactly what was going to happen. Have to have someone to blame for everything.

In my opinion, the people who were denied boarding in Baltimore are entitled to more compensation than those who were allowed to board.

By whom? The USCG who made the decision to close the port and bay? Actually, all they're "entitled" to is a refund.

By whom? The USCG who made the decision to close the port and bay? Actually, all they're "entitled" to is a refund.

By RCCL who chose to close the doors and sail away! Seriously people, these people have a right to be upset! If they choose to be, good, if they choose not to be, good. You can't control how someone should feel! If you're in that situation then you can feel how you want and react how you want. Stop making people feel inferior because they're upset that their vacation is/was ruined! RCCL needs to improve customer service in these situations, period! You can have your opinions, but don't make people feel bad for expressing theirs!