Clothes steamer?

Harrylinden

I know we arn,t allowed an iron on board but can I take a clothes steamer to get the wrinkles out?

I've taken one a few times and never had a problem.. not sure if it's allowed though... are rum runners?! ;)

They are on the list of prohibited items. Read the "Before You Go" section to better prepare yourself. This is in the Packing section:

Candles, incense, coffee makers, clothes irons, travel steamers and hot plates (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/plan-and-book/before-you-go-getting-ready?tab=before_you_go_getting_ready

The good thing is that everyone else is in the same position and some wrinkles are overlooked. You can use wrinkle release, the steam from your shower, or have items pressed by the laundry if it bothers you.

Send it to be pressed if a few sprays of Downey Wrinkle release doesn't work. The price for pressing isn't bad at all. I carried a steamer for a few times before they stopped you from using them and it was a pain and interfered with my pool time. I can live with an occasional wrinkle and I've accumulated enough outfits that are pretty much wrinkle free to get me through a cruise. The only thing we ever sent to the cleaners was my Grandson's suit he had STUFFED into the suitcase. He now leaves it in the bag from the dry cleaner, folds it in half on top and no wrinkles.

So you are into breaking rules meant to protect all passengers?

Didn't realize they were prohibited, but please explain how an electric hair curler or flat iron are safe if a steamer is not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I know that everyone posting here may not have realized steamers were not permitted. Now that you know though, really you ought not to pack them.

I know that everyone is a responsible person. I know that no one intends for anything bad to happen. However, the prohibition exists for a reason. One of the biggest fears on a ship at sea is fire. By ignoring the rules, you place yourself and every other passenger at unnecessary risk. I really don't think anyone is devising rules with the goal of just spoiling anyone's party. Each and everyone rule has a good solid reason behind it, and you have no right to ignore it and replace it with your own judgment. They aren't merely guidelines or suggestions.

And seriously, for those of you that think there is a difference between a "travel steamer" and a full size steamer, making the latter acceptable... that's the sort of semantics argument that kids use.

Didn't realize they were prohibited, but please explain how an electric hair curler or flat iron are safe if a steamer is not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

They are safer because if they did not allow a hair curler or flat iron, there would be a revolt of all the women on board which could cause serious problems for security personnel. :):):)

Please do not take items, which are not allowed on board. It is for the safety of all of us. This means also for your own safety. Wrinkles in your clothes do not justify to put that on risk. By the way there are so many wrinkle free clothes...and of course ironing service from the ship if is that important to you.

Enjoy your cruise and thanks for asking the question. It shows you are informing yourself about what to do and what not. I am surprised to read on this thread that some people do not care and that no body stopps those items at the moment of boarding. It does not say much about responsible guests and efficient seccurity....

My other half asked this of the room steward and was told its not necessarily the fire risk, its more the steam generation if it gets too excessive and is in the wrong place, it can set off the sensors which in turn creates a false alarm which they don't want in the middle of an ocean with several 000's of people.

Our neighbor recommended straightening irons with the widest possible plates and she uses those to 'iron' clothes. She has a set specifically for that purpose and takes a pump action body spray bottle with ironing water in if there are stubborn creases.

We sent anything too big or cumbersome to the laundry on board.

It never ever occurred to me to bring my hair flatiron to iron clothes with. I never use darn the thing on my hair anymore, so it's just sitting in a drawer gathering dust. It will be in my suitcase for my next cruise though, thanks for the idea!

I'm guilty of taking mine with me once. It's not worth it. Over the years I have tried a few travel sized steamers. I've found they typically hold such a small amount of water that you end up spending half the evening refilling it and waiting for it to heat. It would take me 2 refills to do a suit and shirt. At that point I just hope the lighting is dim and no one notices all my wrinkles!