currencies to get for Baltic cruise

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are going on a Baltic cruise on the Silhouette that starts in Stockholm and ends in Amsterdam. It is a 12 night cruise. I know the Euro is used in Finland, Estonia, Germany, and Netherlands and that Sweden, Russia, Denmark, and Norway have their own currencies. Just wondering what currencies we should be taking with us and how much we should get before we leave. I know I need to get some Euros, and probably some Swedish Krone as we are staying in Stockholm pre-cruise and Amsterdam post-cruise. Just trying to get a sense of how much of these currencies to buy before we leave. I am thinking we will want to buy most things (souvenirs, meals etc.) in these countries with a credit card. Any help with this would be appreciated as we don't want to buy too much currency before we go if we won't really need it.

Thanks for any assistance with this!

My St Petersburg tour company (Alla) advised that I could use either a credit card or Euros in St Petersburg for everything, including tipping. So I'm just getting a small amount of Swedish and Danish currency - most things there can be done with credit cards too, so that's just for tips etc.

• 3 weeks later...

You might consider asking your Russian guide again, as apparently Russia just changed some rules about foreign currency and you may no longer be able to pay in Euros.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are touring with SPB and were advised that online payment is OK in Dollars but that payment in St Petersburg either CC or Notes would be Rubles. Specifically they said CC would be at the then current exchange rate.

On my last baltic cruise i found out that many of these countries do take Euros as cash,but then the prices are up to 35 % higher then if paid with local currency or credit card.

Especially Denmark,Sweden,Finland and Estonia are famous countries for credit cards.They prefer to take credit card instead of cash almost everywhere,no matter which currency you will use.