Distance through the port

BlueJai

Hi. I am travelling with my 85 year old mom to Costa Maya. She csn walk but long distances are chalkenging. Can anyone tell me approximately the distance from the ship to the end of the port? We want to go out but am not sure if she can walk to the taxi area. I read there is a shuttle at the pier she can take but then we would need to walk through the port area. Any information would be greathe. Thanks!! :)

It might be too much for her.? Based on experience w my parents at that age. We have been there a couple of times. Not sure of your particular situation but you might be able to take a break or two along the way? By chance does she have a small collapsible wheelchair that you can push? I think a cab driver would be okay w that. Allowing for extra on the tip if they load it in the car in the trunk. Or.......maybe get off and see how it goes for both of you. The port is not “authentic Mexico” but worth getting off in my opinion. It’s fantastic that she is cruising! Have a great time together.

When we were in Costa Maya last month, they had blocked the first 2 exits out of the port area that were closest to the pier. This required that we through the entire port area to get out to the taxis. I assume this was done so visitors must pass every shop / restaurant in the port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When we were in Costa Maya last month, they had blocked the first 2 exits out of the port area that were closest to the pier. This required that we through the entire port area to get out to the taxis. I assume this was done so visitors must pass every shop / restaurant in the port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think you are right. ;p

Keith

I would get a wheelchair, if possible. That pier is Extremely long and then you have to navigate through all of the shops, and then walk another clip to get to the taxi stand. Don't forget the trip back! I can tell you, I just walked with a limp and I was almost in tears by the time we got back on board. Don't forget to factor in the heat. It can suck the life out of you.

There is a "street car" sometimes on the pier to convey people but it is not or miss if it will be there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Thanks all for your advice! So much appreciated. I do have concerns about the heat as well and wondered about getting her back to the ship. She really wants to go to Maya Chan (and she says this will be her last trip - but she said that at 80, and 82 so who knows! She will turn 86 on our trip. Thanks again!

Thanks all for your advice! So much appreciated. I do have concerns about the heat as well and wondered about getting her back to the ship. She really wants to go to Maya Chan (and she says this will be her last trip - but she said that at 80, and 82 so who knows! She will turn 86 on our trip. Thanks again!
Maya Chan is awesome! Once you make it to the cab, you are golden. It's just the walk there and back that is brutal. Reserve your spot at Maya Chan early. They sell out quickly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Did you rent that really did you already have one? I had thought about all walker.

I rented one for my Mom's last cruise, as she suffered a back issue after we had booked and paid for the trip.

EZ to do at any medical supply store. If you are not sure, call around to orthopedic doctor's offices and ask for locations/referrals for short term chair rentals.

I don't recall a dollar number, but it certainly was not cost prohibitive.

I agree with everybody's advice, it is a long, hot walk, even for an able bodied person. Let Mom ride, she's earned it!

Did you rent that really did you already have one? I had thought about all walker.

Fortunately we already had it as we brought it and the relative from UK so need it for the airport etc but as the other reply I am sure you could rent or purchase one in US easily enough.

There is a big trolley bus pulled by a tractor to transport from the aft of the ship to port entrance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes that is the shuttle the OP has read about but there is still a considerable walk from where that shuttle drops you through the port area, out of the exit and a distance up the road to where you meet the taxi to Maya Chan.

Whew! Thank you everyone. Here is where we are now! Mom is open to having a rollator and I have contacted Specialneedsatsea.com and I can get a rollator delivered to the ship for 85.00 for the week! That would allow her to use it at other ports. I called and talked to her today and she is open to that which is great!

So I have put in a request for Maya Chan and if they can take us I will order the rollator and we will make it happen for her. Maya Chan said that we just have to get her through the port, and then I can go to the taxi area and they will bring me back to pick her up.

Now she tells me she wants to float on one of the floaties where they will bring her a drink! Gotta love her :)

Again, thank you all.

When we visited a couple of months ago they had the first two port exits closed to make visitors walk past all of the shops before exiting, BUT, they had a sign near the beginning, that said emergency exit, that pointed to a gate that was unlocked with a shortcut to the taxi area.

You had to look for it as it was not very large but if you walk counterclockwise around the perimeter of the port area you will be sure to see the gate on your right. Even if it is closed, just go up and push it open. No problem.

Thank you all for such great information. I have emailed with Maya Chan as well as a rental company that can provide rollators which I thing will work out fine to get through the Port. Thank you all so much. My mom is so excited to get on to a floaty!:cool::cool::cool:

• 1 month later...

good advice from everyone. Was there a few weeks ago and there was NO shuttle at either end of the pier. It is a very long walk with no place to rest and no protection from the wind and sun. I have trouble with walking long distances quickly and it was long walk for me . I did see some folks using wheelchairs. Honestly, I'm not sure if the trip is worth the effort since the port is basically a shopping area, although lovely and nice. We did go to town and I enjoyed the day.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just want to say... Good for you for doing this with your mom! My mom - now almost 97! - loved to travel and especially loved cruises. Her last one was at 91 and it just proved to be too much. She’s extremely frail now. But before that, she went to Tanzania and on a cruise to the Galapagos at ages 85 and 87 respectively, so don’t let your mom count herself out! And treasure every single moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

One member of our group has walking issues, not debilitating but uncomfortable. Last time we were there my nephew took us on a marathon walk to get to the taxis, like everyone is describing. We walked by what looked to me like a way out but he was leading and went right past. I think that is what one of the previous posters was talking about. Is this exit always available and has anyone had any issues using it? Could you describe it so I know what to look for? On the way back it was so much shorter. I am not opposed to going "up the down staircase".