South Queensferry to Edinburgh - Shall we use bus? -taxi? -other?

Greetings all.

My little traveling party would like suggestions on transportation (on our own) from the port at South Queensferry into Edinburgh. These questions come to mind:

1. Is there a bus, taxi, or train service close to the port?

2. What is the approximate travel time we should allocate from port to town (and back really) for each?

3. What are the approximate costs p/p for each?

And one last question:

Q. If you had the choice of ONLY ONE thing to visit/see/dine at in the Royal Mile area, where/what would that choice be?

Much thanks from California

geebobby

We anchored under the railway bridge last year on Jade, and were ferried to the Hawes Inn ("Kidnapped"'s pub). Apparantly taxis are usually infrequent at that point, but we saw several, because a local said it was such a rare event to have a cruise ship in that the whole town were aware. The station is close, but if you've ever seen pictures of the famous bridge, then you'll see that it's a tremendous height to climb. Many people on the cruise did, and said the trains to Edinburgh were quite frequent.-jocap.

Am originally from the area and go back couple of times a year and would recommend train. Really regular service and train takes you from the station at South Queensferry (called Dalmeny) and goes right into the centre of Edinburgh. You can get timetable on nationalrail.co.uk. Just make sure you get off at Edinburgh Waverley which is the last station. Edinburgh is a compact city and if you look up as you leave the station onto Waverley Bridge you will see the castle, Scott Monument, Calton Hill, Pinces Street (main thoroughfare with beautiful gardens). Lovely!!! Would highly recommend! :)

Happy to tell you more. Let me know if I can help

We were there last year. It's about 25 minutes +/- by shuttle bus. 30-35minutes by city bis depending on stops.

For us, this was a tender port. They had a small for pay shuttle ( sponsored by the town) running from the tender pier to a central section of Edinburgh. The shuttle was really one of those 20 passenger vans you see at airport car rental locations. The cost was 5 Euros per person. The line was long and so was the wait.

The train is fairly nearby ( and a steep walk as I recall) but times can be inconvenient. In my opinion, the best and quickest way to town is to find friends and share a taxi. We took a city bus back to S.Queensferry.

Princess Street is about 6 blocks from the Mile. It is a very busy street with lots of shops and a big mall. Buses run all the time. Before we left the ship they told us the #43 ran back towards the ship.

The front of the Bus said S. Queensferry too. We told the driver where we wanted to stop and sat near him. He signaled when we were to get off. He was very nice and accommodating. The bus stop was about 8 minutes from the tender pier.

We took the train last May and it was superb. Firstly, there are people at dockside who will direct you to the Dalmeny train station. Yes, it is a 10 minute walk up a lot of wooden stairs, but it is a lovely walk through a wooded area and you get a peek through the trees at some of the local houses. If the ticket machine at the station is busy, just hop on the train. You pay when you get off. The train station is super central and you can do the Royal Mile on foot. The highlights for us were a visit to the free museum on the Royal Mile that showed the conditions of working class Scots until the 1950s and a visit to one of the the oldest pubs on one of the "closes". We were made to feel so welcome. I enjoyed a fine local ale and my wife had a glass of imported white wine. On the train trip back to Dalmeny, the conducter made a Dalmeny station alert announcement for the cruise passengers and thanked us for visiting. Who said that the Scots were "dour"? I can hardly wait to go back.

Q. If you had the choice of ONLY ONE thing to visit/see/dine at in the Royal Mile area, where/what would that choice be?

For me, Holyrood Palace. Unlike Edinburgh Castle, which is really a military fort, this is a working royal castle, used by Queen Elizabeth when she is in Edinburgh (at which time you can't get in, surprise). It is interesting to see the royal lifestyle, and there is a ruined abbey next door to the castle with bags of atmosphere. It marks the other end of the Royal Mile from Edinburgh Castle; if you were coming to the Royal Mile from Princes Street or Waverley station, you would turn left for Holyrood House, right for the Castle.

Anyone dock at Rosyth? One suggestion was give to us the try the train.

Princess doesn't provide shuttles but wondered if the town does?

Are taxis readily available? Or, if any one has a link to a cab company??

Hi

We live just north of Rosyth and dont use taxis very much but here;s a link to some local taxi firms - Dunfermline is the nearest big town. You can ask the taxi driver to take you to ferrytoll which is a bus park and ride with frequent buses to Edinburgh or Inverkeithing train station 1 minute farther away . Either way you;ll be dropped off right in Edinburgh centre - 20 mins away by train

If coming back by bus I wiuld avoid rush hour. There are plenty of taxis from Inverkeithing station to take you back to Rosyth if getting the train.

http://www.britinfo.net/taxis/TDVYP28050.

htmhttp://www.ferrytoll.co.uk/

• 1 month later...

Interesting as I have same question

we are on the Emerald Princess which docks there September 26th I think

and we want to meet friends in Edinburgh

What is the fastest and easiest way to go there

We are 4 people traveling

Thanks

Steve

Greetings all.

My little traveling party would like suggestions on transportation (on our own) from the port at South Queensferry into Edinburgh. These questions come to mind:

1. Is there a bus, taxi, or train service close to the port?

2. What is the approximate travel time we should allocate from port to town (and back really) for each?

3. What are the approximate costs p/p for each?

And one last question:

geebobby

• 2 years later...
...And one last question:

geebobby

Just make sure the Queen won't be in residence at Holyrood Palace. On our cruise, she'll be there, so we can't go in unfortunately. I would chose it over Edinburgh Castle due to the historical residential significance.

I have a question for those that have done the train:

Is it a safe area to walk in to the train station for a solo person?

Just make sure the Queen won't be in residence at Holyrood Palace. On our cruise, she'll be there, so we can't go in unfortunately. I would chose it over Edinburgh Castle due to the historical residential significance.

I have a question for those that have done the train:

Is it a safe area to walk in to the train station for a solo person?

Do you mean in Edinburgh? I've never thought of it as an unsafe city.....and I use trains and stations on my own up and down the UK. I suppose there's always a chance of a pick pocket in any crowded place, but I've not heard that Edinburgh is a hot spot for that. Just keep your money hidden, in case.

I enjoy solo train travel, and have not thought of places being unsafe, although I'm wary of pick pockets in London....but not met any, yet!

Jo.

Do you mean in Edinburgh? I've never thought of it as an unsafe city.....and I use trains and stations on my own up and down the UK. I suppose there's always a chance of a pick pocket in any crowded place, but I've not heard that Edinburgh is a hot spot for that. Just keep your money hidden, in case.

I enjoy solo train travel, and have not thought of places being unsafe, although I'm wary of pick pockets in London....but not met any, yet!

Jo.

No, not necessarily. That's one city I think I'd feel pretty safe in. I was talking about the walk to/from the train station. Is that area pretty safe for someone to be walking alone? Thanks for the help.

Hi All

While Edinburgh is a great place, have a look at Stirling crowds are less,

why Stirling, because it is often used in movies as Edinburgh, has a castle old town area, as well loads of history,

Braveheart etc

yours Shogun

No, not necessarily. That's one city I think I'd feel pretty safe in. I was talking about the walk to/from the train station. Is that area pretty safe for someone to be walking alone? Thanks for the help.

To reach the station at S.Q?- there will be crowds of cruisers climbing up the hill....so you'll be in good company!

It's just a small town, and I shouldn't think there's much crime there at all....I'm sure there will be people from the ship returning whenever you do, too.

There can always be a bad apple in any town, but it certainly wouldn't scare me, an aged female, unless it was very late at night and there was no-one around in the dark.

Jo.

To reach the station at S.Q?- there will be crowds of cruisers climbing up the hill....so you'll be in good company!

It's just a small town, and I shouldn't think there's much crime there at all....I'm sure there will be people from the ship returning whenever you do, too.

There can always be a bad apple in any town, but it certainly wouldn't scare me, an aged female, unless it was very late at night and there was no-one around in the dark.

Jo.

Jo, thank you so very much for the information! That's exactly what I was looking for and now I feel much better about making that walk by myself. Thanks! :)

• 4 weeks later...

We visit South Q. all the time, often to go to the Hawes Inn, and I would call it completely safe during the day time. I would say that of Edinburgh also, there are some parts of town that you wouldn't wander around on your own as a female after around 10pm, but you are unlikely to find those.

For public transport you can look at www.travelinescotland.com which has bus and train times, and maps.

Watch out for pick pockets on Princes St and the Royal Mile, and if someone makes you feel uncomfortable for any reason just walk away.

We visit South Q. all the time, often to go to the Hawes Inn, and I would call it completely safe during the day time. I would say that of Edinburgh also, there are some parts of town that you wouldn't wander around on your own as a female after around 10pm, but you are unlikely to find those.

For public transport you can look at www.travelinescotland.com which has bus and train times, and maps.

Watch out for pick pockets on Princes St and the Royal Mile, and if someone makes you feel uncomfortable for any reason just walk away.

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate the info. from a local.

• 2 weeks later...

I am wondering if anyone can tell me what the cost of the train will be from Dalmeny to Edinburgh.

I tried going to the website and it looks to me that a single ticket costs 4 GBP whilst a return costs 4.40 GBP? Not sure if I have looked this up correctly. Doesn't seem quite right to me. If it is cheaper to buy a return ticket then that would definitely beat 4 of us going by taxi each way.

If you have time, and are so inclined, I recommend a visit to the former Royal Yacht Britannia.

Britannia is easily reached from Edinburgh city centre. Just about 15 minutes on bus no. 22 from Princes St, which is very close to and to the right as you exit from Waverly Station... or any bus marked "Ocean Terminal", but 22 is the quickest.

Britannia is in remarkably good condition, practically as it was the last time the queen was aboard.

http://www.royalyachtbritannia.co.uk/plan-your-visit/

For those without a lot of time, Britannia can be done in about two hours, including travel from/to Princes Street.

Taxis and shuttle busses are alway plentiful at the pier in South Queensferry when there is a cruise ship in, if you're not up to the walk between the pier and Dalmeny train station.

I am wondering if anyone can tell me what the cost of the train will be from Dalmeny to Edinburgh.

I tried going to the website and it looks to me that a single ticket costs 4 GBP whilst a return costs 4.40 GBP? Not sure if I have looked this up correctly. Doesn't seem quite right to me. If it is cheaper to buy a return ticket then that would definitely beat 4 of us going by taxi each way.

For both of us, it looks to be 8 pounds out and 8.40 back. That's on June 4th through ScotRail. May be higher since it's a holiday. Can't beat the 16 minute train ride. Quite fast and no lines. :)

The prices sound correct to me, return on scotrail is usually only slightly more than a single ticket. A taxi would be quite a bit from South Q to central Edinburgh.

Cheers

Roberta

• 4 weeks later...

Even considering that ship passengers will arrive by tender, so the demand should be a little spread out, and even if you are in top shape with considerable energy, you will absolutely spend more time than getting into a reserved taxi that takes your small group directly to your first location in town (especially if it is the Castle with additional distance and substantial incline from train or bus station). We intend to use a private car company in the morning and return after a visit to Holyroodhouse. The small fee if well worth the up to 2 hours saved in this manner. We have found three options that will work quite well for 4 June 2012. Anyone who wishes to benefit from my month's effort, drop me a note (balticports@yahoo.com).

DJ:)

Is it necessary to reserve a taxi? An earlier post indicated that they were readily available.

Does anyone know if it is difficult to get a taxi from Edinburgh back to the ship? Any suggestions on where to get one in Edinburgh?

• 2 weeks later...

Am I understanding this correctly - is a 'return' ticket the same as a 'round-trip' ticket? It costs 4 GBP to travel one-way, and only 4.40 GBP to travel to Edinburgh and back? Thanks.

Lynn

Archived