Lap Swimming on Odyssey

Observer

I love Seabourn, but I am also a lap swimmer. I have to swim off the rich food. :)

I gave up on the triplets because the pools were not suitable for lap swimming.

I have now seen a few photos of Odyssey and it appears that those pools are not really good for swimmers. In particular, one pool seems to have a series of steps leading into the pool at one end. Thus, one could not do a "real" lap: the hands would be hitting the steps.

Is there anyone who can clarify for me?

Many thanks.

Just got off the Odyssey last Saturday and I can confirm that both pools are not suitable for lap swamming, or any kind of swimming - they are just too small

Thanks for the information. I am sad to receive your response. I do not require an Olympic sized pool. I know I am on a small cruise ship. Nonetheless, one can do laps on the Regent and Silversea ships (even if it's only eight or nine strokes to a lap). I had hoped that the new Seabourn ships might offer pools *far* more ample than those on the triplets.

Unfortunately, there is no walking track either.

I commented on this way back when the deck plans first came out. Many of the people "in the know" said there was definitely going to be a track even though it was not clear in the plans. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, there is no walking track either.

Who came up with that crazy idea? Are you expected to go to the gym everytime you want to take a walk?

Will the Soujourn also miss out on a walking track?

Cheers

ging466

I love Seabourn, but I am also a lap swimmer. I have to swim off the rich food. :)

What about tethered swimming? Is the pool long enough and deep enough to swim in place? Request some cotton cord, tie it around your waist and off you swim in place. It is like a $.99 tread mill for swimmers, and just as boring.

Just got off the Odyssey last Saturday and I can confirm that both pools are not suitable for lap swamming, or any kind of swimming - they are just too small

I got off on Aug 8 and I saw people swimming laps, goggles, swim cap and all. No, its not an Olympic size but the two I saw were swimming laps.

I also saw people walking around Deck 9 as Lord of the Seas did.

What about tethered swimming? Is the pool long enough and deep enough to swim in place? Request some cotton cord, tie it around your waist and off you swim in place. It is like a $.99 tread mill for swimmers, and just as boring.

Ok. This message is presumably meant to be witty. But it raises a real possibility. The pools in the triplets are useless for "real" swimming. However, I would return to the triplets in a heartbeat if they were to install resistance swimming (or whatever it's called) in their pools. What I am thinking of is the pools people have in their homes where there is a current against which one swims. One is essentially swimming in place. The tethered swimming proposal seems a bit radical. :)

>"The tethered swimming proposal seems a bit radical."

I have seen tethered swimmers in the triplets pools and they seem quite satisfied.

Is this serious? I have never heard of tethered swimming. If this is "for real," could someone send me a photo? If this is a lively possibility, why doesn't Seabourn offer rubber or cloth tethers?

I would love to return to the triplets, and I imagine that there are others who, like me, are put off by the pool size. If there is a work-around (that would not cause a scandal with other guests, etc.) I would love to know about it.

Are there commercially available tethers for committed (but not terribly skilled) swimmers like me?

UPDATE: After posting the above, I did the obvious and Binged (I use Bing now rather than Google) swim tether. There is such a product:

http://swimriptide.com/

There may be more.

Remarkable what one learns through Cruise Critic.....

A few years ago on the QE2 world cruise 2 men used large elastic/rubber bands - that they put around their ankles & attached to the grab bar that surrounded the aft pool & swam in place(the crawl & backstroke) - every day...they then did kick exercises for their legs....

I had never seen the bands before - but when my Dad was doing physical therapy he was given the same type of bands for resistance strength.

I too love to swim...but give up an opportunity for a Seabourn cruise just for a few missed laps........I don't know about that!!!!

There is plenty of room for tethered swimming on the triplets.

With good intentions I took a tether system for my 8 weeks on Spirit last year. On day one I found a perfect spot to tie up and then started my 'laps'.

About 15 minutes later the cord for my left leg unravelled and could not be repaired. (Buyer beware), but at least I proved the concept.

For the rest of the trip I was able to do laps by not kicking off at each end. About 120 gave me a reasonable 20 minutes of exercise:).

Steve.

• 7 months later...

If you really, truly want to swim for the exercise and/or to work off the 'rich food', the answer is simple: do Breastroke, and don't use your legs.

It works - and you don't annoy others in the Pool.

And, you seem to take forever to get to the end of even a small pool, so size is not a problem.

But (this may be the unacceptable part), you are not going to look like you may like to look (and like I like to think I look) when doing 'laps', i.e., kinda Cool: with smooth strokes and tumble-turns and the like.

However, you will find that the more-than acceptable part is that you get to look around (fun!), and realise where you are (joy!), and think of what you are going to have for breakfast (yum!), and who you're going to have it with (!), etc.

So, may I suggest: while on the ship, give Freestyle a big miss.

I have sailed on the Odyssey and did laps in the main pool. Yes, there are steps at one end in the corner and they protrude about half way across the width of the pool. However, you can easily swim on the other side, Of course this works best if there are only a very few people in the pool.

Just a head's up about tethered swimming - It can muck-up your stroke big time. (I've been coaching high school age competitive swimmers for >20 years.) Many don't need to worry about that, but the ones who do, may find it just not worth the problems it creates.

Archived