Southwest joins the "fee brigade", though still optional

FlyerTalker

I had to laugh at southwest. I work in the airport here in Philly and I have heard people say that southwest is charging just to get a better seat. I know a lady did pay for it and she was screaming at the southwest agent saying all you had was middle seats? The agent said yes thats all we have..She wanted a refund.

If they are going to start this..Wait til next year when they charge for bags. Because its coming.

I think the real moral is ... if you pay, you still need to be there when boarding starts.

I took my chances yesterday, checked in 24 hours before the flight, and still got A20. If I am totally unable to check in 24 hours early, like during a cruise, I may pay the fee. Otherwise, I will take my chances. In the past, I usually just had a relative check in for me. $10 each way is still revenue enhancement. I wrote Southwest and made my opinion known, as my wife and I usually log about 9 round trips each year per person.

I think the real moral is ... if you pay, you still need to be there when boarding starts.
And this is why I so value airlines on which you can be the last to board, and yet know that (a) you've had the opportunity choose a seat that you're content with, which will still be open for you as the doors close; and (b) still have room for your carry-on when you get on board.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Southwest!

Now that fuel hedging isn't the goldmine it once was for SW, they like everyother airline is looking to make some more revenue.

I think it is good as a healthy and vibrant SW keeps the other airlines on their toes.

Competition is good, and SW is still the model of efficiency

I am flying tomorrow morning, I booked this flight months ago, after hearing all of this, I went online and booked the early bird both ways for myself and my husband. I also went online 24 hours and did my boarding pass..........I have A17, my question is would I have gotten A17 because I printed my boarding pass 24 hours? did I waste $40.00. I am more confused.........I worry because my husband and I both use CPAP machines which I can carry on. This is our first time bringing them and I was worried I wouldnt have a place to store them I need to have overhead.

I need a vacation after all of this

Dorene

I am flying tomorrow morning, I booked this flight months ago, after hearing all of this, I went online and booked the early bird both ways for myself and my husband. I also went online 24 hours and did my boarding pass..........I have A17, my question is would I have gotten A17 because I printed my boarding pass 24 hours? did I waste $40.00. I am more confused.........I worry because my husband and I both use CPAP machines which I can carry on. This is our first time bringing them and I was worried I wouldnt have a place to store them I need to have overhead.

I need a vacation after all of this

Dorene

The lowest numer I ever had was 33A the highest was 46A, and I do sit and wait for the moment I can confirm and It always suprises me how many people get lower numbers. I can't complain anything in the A group is fine. I don't think I would pay the money to confirm early unless I knew I couldn't be near the computer when it time to check in.

Archived