Researching 2nd cruise ever..Why Carnival?

jencredible

DH and I were on the Valor last Oct. and are looking to cruise again with our girls, ages 4 & 6. We got a bug up our butts, and were hoping to go in October, but times ticking and I just can't decide what itinerary, ship, or even cruise line! He is very opinionless, and could care less what we do, as long as we can have a good time and relax:)

I loved everything about out Valor cruise (except that lack of tampons anywhere on the ship!)-we were upgraded to the Lido deck, still an inside, but loved the location. I loved sail-away, and so much more.

I'm afraid to book anything other than the same ship, cabin location and itinerary bc I'm afraid I will be disappointed in some way. How, I'm not sure.:o

What keeps you coming back to Carnival, over other lines? I like the Freestyle Idea of NCL...but am aware the Spirit has anytime dining too, so I lean that way..

I need guidance!

What keeps you coming back to Carnival, over other lines? I like the Freestyle Idea of NCL...but am aware the Spirit has anytime dining too, so I lean that way..

I need guidance!

there is a whole thread on what you like about Carnival. I like RCL too, so its not one over the other, but Carnival sails year round out of Galveston.

Iv heard good things about other Carnival ships, but if you dont mind Valor go for it. The downside might be if you cruised her only last year, the shows havent changed ... or the jokes. I would pick the Glory or a similar ship to at least get new shows.

Not sure of where you want to leave from and where you want to go, but I take just the opposite track. Try a different ship and ports if it works into your timetable and desires. If you choose to stay CCL (and if you were happy why not) then service levels and expectations should be close to what you had on the Valor. We cruised on the Valor and loved it.....as well as every other ship we have sailed with Carnival.

We book based on who we are going with, itinerary and price. As you can see, we have not been brand loyal. We have had a great time on all the cruiselines we have gone on and wouldn't hesitate to try a different one if it worked with our schedule and budget. A vacation is what you make it. Go with positive attitude and have fun.

We are in Green Bay, so unless we want to cruise Lake Michigan, we have to fly-I'm not opinionated as to where we leave from, and really not even the itinerary. I just love seeing different places, and regardless of what ship I'm on, I know I'm going to see SOMETHING I haven't seen before, even if we do end up at the same ports.

I just wish I had someone to tell me when to leave, what ship to take, and what cabin to book! I stress too much over planning...

If you like the Valor, I highly recommend the Liberty...she's a newer ship, in the same class and has a couple of really great itineraries (Eastern and Western). The Conquest Class is my fave class of ship in the Carnival fleet, so I understand where you are coming from! Doesn't hurt to try something new! Have fun with it!

Happy Cruising! Angel_anim.gif

We are in Green Bay, so unless we want to cruise Lake Michigan, we have to fly-I'm not opinionated as to where we leave from, and really not even the itinerary. I just love seeing different places, and regardless of what ship I'm on, I know I'm going to see SOMETHING I haven't seen before, even if we do end up at the same ports.

I just wish I had someone to tell me when to leave, what ship to take, and what cabin to book! I stress too much over planning...

We are sailing on Valor in December to try ports new to us but in 2007 we cruised Royal Caribbean on Freedom of the Seas and loved it. I really liked going to St. Martin the best on that cruise. Carnival will likely have the best prices though so not sure how important that is to you. I would totally mix it up if I were you instead of doing same ship, same itinerary. There are also boards on here that discuss good cabin locations so once you decide on your cruise check those boards out to help you decide which stateroom would be good for you.

I have cruised Carnival, RCL and Disney. By far Disney was probably my favorite and my boys favorite. With that said you can see we have sailed Carnival more and have another booked for January 2010. Carnival is great and we always have fun. Carnival is certainly more economical than Disney, if you know what I mean.

October is tricky because of hurricane season. I would say though if it is entirely up to you then pick somewhere you want to go. I like sailing the caribbean. We did the eastern run this past January (Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Maarten). Next January we're doing the western (Grand Cayman, Isla Roatan, Belize and Cozumel). I think the western will be great. I would love to do the Southern run that leaves out of Puerto Rico.

So I suggest you look into that one.. That is one great itenerary. (I haven't checked to see if it even runs in October, so forgive me if it doesn't).

Good luck

We did the eastern run this past January (Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Maarten). Next January we're doing the western (Grand Cayman, Isla Roatan, Belize and Cozumel). I think the western will be great. I would love to do the Southern run that leaves out of Puerto Rico.

So I suggest you look into that one.. That is one great itenerary. (I haven't checked to see if it even runs in October, so forgive me if it doesn't).

Good luck

The Western is what we did last year, only half of it though-I guess! We missed Roatan, b/c of riots due to power prices or something like that, and Belize b/c of a tropical storm. They replaced one port with Progresso and gave $50 OBC.

Which is why I wouldn't mind doing that route again, seeing as we missed out on two of the ports-then again, it may happen the second time around also! Otherwise, I'm eyeing up the Eastern-or the 8-day Meixcan Riviera out of San Diego.

OK...off to be indecisive with myself!

Thanks for the input everyone!

We are from across Lake Michigan by Grand Rapids, MI. You don't have to fly (although I prefer to fly, DH and DS like to drive). We drove plenty of times to FL for a cruise. We are looking at cruising out of NY next (1/2 the drive).

Ok, found one for you.

http://www.carnival.com/Itinerary.aspx?embkCode=FLL&itinCode=WC2&durDays=6&shipCode=FD&subRegionCode=CW&rateCode=PCD&sailingID=48347&sailDate=11/1/2009

Nov. 1st out of Ft. Lauderdale on the Carnival Freedom. I would go for the Empress deck , mid ship, cabin #7344.

Six days, from Sunday to Saturday which gives you Sat. before cruise and Sunday after cruise for travel.

All you have to do now is call.:D

Ok, found one for you.

http://www.carnival.com/Itinerary.aspx?embkCode=FLL&itinCode=WC2&durDays=6&shipCode=FD&subRegionCode=CW&rateCode=PCD&sailingID=48347&sailDate=11/1/2009

Nov. 1st out of Ft. Lauderdale on the Carnival Freedom. I would go for the Empress deck , mid ship, cabin #7344.

Six days, from Sunday to Saturday which gives you Sat. before cruise and Sunday after cruise for travel.

All you have to do now is call.:D

Freedom is a great ship - we just got off her in July.

I'd go Eastern Caribbean on a ship that stops in St. Thomas or St. Martin. The prices will be cheaper the first of Dec. and mid Jan. and get you out of the cold and into some sun! :)

I prefer taking different ships and lines just because I like to mix it up a bit.

I wasn't thrilled with the itinerary of the 8 day to Mexican Riv. I much prefer Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Villarta to Acapulco, Ixtapa etc. I love Mexico.

Just to be upfront, I prefer Princess but don't recommend them for everyone. Also we jump around between cruiselines, in the last 4 years we have taken Disney, Princess, and 2 RCCL, and have a B2B Carnival coming up.

For you I would say Royal Caribbean would be a good alternative. Since you sailed on the Valor if you want a comparable ship go with one of the Voyager Class ship. Since you are looking at the Spirit, I would say a RCCL Brilliance class ship would be comparable.

While people periodically create threads on both the Carnival and RCCL boards saying we are "long time Carnival cruisers but decided to try RCCL one time, never again" Or vice versa. Both of them are very similiar and I bet if those long time cruisers on one line had started on the other there feelings would be exactly the opposite.

BTW: I love anytime dining (one of the reasons why I like Princess) but everything I read about NCL raise yellow flags for me, i.e. it is a bit more different from Carnival, RCCL, and Princess.

I definitely recommend trying a different itinerary what ever cruise line you take

As a man I'm leaning towards the Valor now. :confused:

Long story short-I was early, packed too few, none to be found in any bathrooms, store of pursers desk-nor did anyone I asked have any! I asked my husband to go back to the cabin to grap my last one for me ( we were pool side) and he did..only to put it in the pocket of his wet swim trunks. Needless to say it was un-usable. :(

MIA had none their bathrooms either-not even a machine for them, and again, neither did anyone I asked...my fabulous husband found a store in the airport-and bought some for me.

Very long few days for me:eek:

I'd go Eastern Caribbean on a ship that stops in St. Thomas or St. Martin. The prices will be cheaper the first of Dec. and mid Jan. and get you out of the cold and into some sun! :)

I prefer taking different ships and lines just because I like to mix it up a bit.

I wasn't thrilled with the itinerary of the 8 day to Mexican Riv. I much prefer Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Villarta to Acapulco, Ixtapa etc. I love Mexico.

Maybe I'll have to try looking at December-my birthday is the 15th, and our Anniversary the 16th...My husband got to celebrate his last birthday in Hawaii, I should get a cruise:p

And being in Green Bay, we could use the sun, considering our summer was almost nil!

Just to be upfront, I prefer Princess but don't recommend them for everyone. Also we jump around between cruiselines, in the last 4 years we have taken Disney, Princess, and 2 RCCL, and have a B2B Carnival coming up.

For you I would say Royal Caribbean would be a good alternative. Since you sailed on the Valor if you want a comparable ship go with one of the Voyager Class ship. Since you are looking at the Spirit, I would say a RCCL Brilliance class ship would be comparable.

While people periodically create threads on both the Carnival and RCCL boards saying we are "long time Carnival cruisers but decided to try RCCL one time, never again" Or vice versa. Both of them are very similiar and I bet if those long time cruisers on one line had started on the other there feelings would be exactly the opposite.

BTW: I love anytime dining (one of the reasons why I like Princess) but everything I read about NCL raise yellow flags for me, i.e. it is a bit more different from Carnival, RCCL, and Princess.

I definitely recommend trying a different itinerary what ever cruise line you take

I was wondering about RCCL, too! Glad you brought them up. I will have to check out their pricing. Whenever looking, I automatically search for Carnival-

Thanks!

DH and I were on the Valor last Oct. and are looking to cruise again with our girls, ages 4 & 6. We got a bug up our butts, and were hoping to go in October, but times ticking and I just can't decide what itinerary, ship, or even cruise line! He is very opinionless, and could care less what we do, as long as we can have a good time and relax:)

I loved everything about out Valor cruise (except that lack of tampons anywhere on the ship!)-we were upgraded to the Lido deck, still an inside, but loved the location. I loved sail-away, and so much more.

I'm afraid to book anything other than the same ship, cabin location and itinerary bc I'm afraid I will be disappointed in some way. How, I'm not sure.:o

I need guidance!

Don't discount the cruises out of the West Coast! If you maybe go in November, you might be able to do a little whale watching. Check out the Splendor (one of the newest ships) or the Elation for a 5 day cruise.. :D

ETA: I just read that another poster said she liked visiting Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallerata, and Mazatlan and Carnival has a 7 night cruise on the Splendor in November starting at $389 pp inside. Might be worth looking at

I need guidance!

What I love about Carnival is that with kids (the ones your age and up to about 12), the Camp Carnival cannot be beat and therefore allows ME to have a vacation while the kids are having one geared towards their needs! I never worried about my D or nephews having a good (GREAT) time at Camp Carnival. While the other lines may have programs, they pale by comparison.

:p

Archived