What id does an American driving in France require? Insurance required?

mikeerdas

What identification does an American driving in France require? Years ago, I recall it being said to buy an "international driver's license" and that these were only available from AAA offices. Sounded as goofy to me then as it does now. Is that still true?

Also, how is insurance handled for car rentals? In the U.S., I am covered free for all car rentals via my insurer (Geico). Don't know about abroad. Guessing not.

Any "gotchas" or points of advice for renting a car and driving in France generally? Can I cross borders (e.g. to Belgium, Germany, etc) without a hassle? Is that permissible with most rentals?

Any major rental agencies to go with or steer clear of? How should I book my rental, e.g. ahead of time from the U.S. or abroad when I get there? Should I use one of the major international rental companies (e.g. Hertz, Avis, etc) and book directly through their web site or go with Expedia.com, etc?

All you really need is your U.S. license, but an International Driving Permit (a translation of your license, and only valid with your license) is a handy thing to have if you get stopped by a traffic cop who doesn't speak English. Also, some rental offices in some countries may require one, though I personally have never been asked for one in France or Germany. Your best bet is getting one through AAA, because they only charge $15; some other places start at $35 for the exact same document. It is much cheaper to reserve the car in the U.S. than in Europe. As for insurance and crossing borders, you need to check with the rental companies as there are sometimes restrictions on taking cars into countries where there are high rates of auto theft and vandalism. Also check with Geico and your credit card company.

As the other poster said, you only need a valid US license to rent in France. The International Drivers Permit is not required in France. As to insurance, it is very similar to renting the the US, so you can decline LDW and your deductable would depend on the particular rental company. It is also possible to get cars with a zero deductable. Most of the major credit cards that include LDW/CDW coverage (such as most Amex cards) are valid for cars rented in France (but not for rentals in Italy or Ireland). The general rule is that you can drive anywhere in Western Europe just like you would in different states. The only restriction is for some of the Eastern European countries and if you want to drive into Eastern Europe you need to make sure the rental car company is aware (they usually charge extra). If you are booking a car for more than 3 days, I would strongly recommend you check with both Autoeurope.com and Kemwel.com. Both of these "consolidators" have offices in the US (Maine) and discount rentals from both Europcar and Hertz at rates cheaper than you can get direct. We also highly recommend renting a GPS unit which is very helpful...particularly in cities.

Hank

Hank, check your card, I used to think I was covered, my Delta Amex Platinum only covers rentals in N. America! As a result I have started taking insurance. csatravel protection policies cover car rental with no additional premium, the only one I know of that does.

Otherwise I concur with all the above, don't sweat the IDL in France, watch out for cameras and learn enough French to know what "vous n'avez pas la prioite" (You do not have the right of way, seen at all traffic roundabouts) and other little goodies might mean.

Hank, check your card, I used to think I was covered, my Delta Amex Platinum only covers rentals in N. America! As a result I have started taking insurance. csatravel protection policies cover car rental with no additional premium, the only one I know of that does.

Otherwise I concur with all the above, don't sweat the IDL in France, watch out for cameras and learn enough French to know what "vous n'avez pas la prioite" (You do not have the right of way, seen at all traffic roundabouts) and other little goodies might mean.

I am surprised to read this; I check with AMEX before every trip abroad, and they confirmed excellent insurance coverage for rentals up to 30 days abroad (excluding Italy and a few other countries, but not France). Our card also is Delta Skymiles Platinum.

I am surprised to read this; I check with AMEX before every trip abroad, and they confirmed excellent insurance coverage for rentals up to 30 days abroad (excluding Italy and a few other countries, but not France). Our card also is Delta Skymiles Platinum.

All I know is that I read the stupid fine print last time I got sent an update and was shocked to see what it said. if you read the online stuff it is bvery vague. I tried calling a bit ago and couldn't get through will try again. . . :(

amex small business platinum per agent only N America and secondary to own policy, I can upgrade to primary and international (not Australia Israel

Ireland New Zealand Jamaica or Italy) for $24 per rental contract.

from the policy as sent by AMEX color mine

CAR RENTAL LOSS AND DAMAGE INSURANCE PLAN

DESCRIPTION OF COVERAGE

Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance provides the Business Card member, ("Cardmember") if the Cardmember is the primary renter, (as defined below) with insurance coverage for damage to or theft of most Rental Autos when the Cardmember uses the Card (as described below) to charge and pay for an auto rental from any Commercial Car Rental Company ("Rental Company") within the geographic scope of the United States, its territories and possessions. This coverage is excess insurance. (In regards to Membership Rewards redemption certificates, coverage is provided only to Rental Autos rented in the United States.) :eek:

doc. CRLDI-DOC-OSBN-PLAT 11/05

Thanks for all the advice.

I remember using a credit card to get free CDW/LDW insurance in Ireland more than a decade ago. Wonder what changed such that Ireland was taken off the list.

Will have to check the fine print for all my credit cards, including AMEX.

Lets clarify the Amex issue (I do not work for them). They issue many different types of cards, and even similar cards do not necessarily have the same benefits. In order to be sure of your insurance options, you only need to make a toll free call to Amex and they will carefully explain your insurance benefits (if any) and send you the latest coverage info in writing. Our card does give us coverage within western Europe except for cars rented in Italy and Ireland (not sure about Spain anymore). What is interesting is that we can rent a car in France (covered) and drive it into Italy and still have coverage. Their policy is based on the country where you rent, not necessarily where you drive. That being said, when we rent cars in Europe for longer term (usually 3 - 5 weeks) we almost always choose from Kemwel or Autoeurope depending who has the best price (it varies year to year) for "inclusive" rentals. For example, this past May we rented from Kemwel for 18 days with pickup in Civitavecchia, Italy and drop at Milan's Linate Airport. $600 (and that was the total for all 18 days). AutoEurope had a similar price, but their deal had a deductable of over 1000 Euros. It does pay to shop around and carefully read the fine print. With Kemwel or Autoeurope you can also call their toll free number and have their staff carefully explain all the options and deductables. Our Amex does not give any coverage for cars rented in Italy (this is true of most credit cards) so we always try to get zero deductable. In France, we will sometimes rely on AMEX insurance, but our decision ultimately depends on the cost of inclusive rates (this includes all insurance) vs non-inclusive rates (where you have a high deductable that might be covered by credit card insurance). I would offer one more piece of advice. Filing claims with credit cards is somewhat of a hassle. It is often worth a few extra dollars to get maximum insurance on the rental for the piece of mind. We do rent in Europe quite often, but always consider the various options on each rental.

Hank

Thanks again.

What can I expect the weather to be like in Paris the last week of September / early October?

Wondering what to pack.

Well it's Paris, so pretty much a crap shoot, however, we were there last October and it was fantastic. Beautiful colours on the trees, fantastic sunsets. I had a very light jacket for walking around.

223499528_sideoflouvre.jpg.778c51e1468a00d74d3ff46f2654fb6d.jpg

Well it's Paris, so pretty much a crap shoot, however, we were there last October and it was fantastic. Beautiful colours on the trees, fantastic sunsets. I had a very light jacket for walking around.

So true! We spent two weeks in France from October 2 through October 16, 2007.

It was raining when we picked our car up at CDG, but fine when we got to Giverny (for visit to Monet's home and gardens.) The next mornng, it was misting/raining on our drive from Honfleur to the Normandy beach areas, but cleared up for our first stop at Pegasus Bridge. The weather was beautiful for the remainder of our week in Normandy and the Loire Valley.

We spent the last seven days in Paris and the weather was lovely the entire time, high 60's mostly, I believe. I also used a light jacket for walking around Paris.

So true! We spent two weeks in France from October 2 through October 16, 2007.

It was raining when we picked our car up at CDG, but fine when we got to Giverny (for visit to Monet's home and gardens.) The next mornng, it was misting/raining on our drive from Honfleur to the Normandy beach areas, but cleared up for our first stop at Pegasus Bridge. The weather was beautiful for the remainder of our week in Normandy and the Loire Valley.

We spent the last seven days in Paris and the weather was lovely the entire time, high 60's mostly, I believe. I also used a light jacket for walking around Paris.

Did you drive from Normandy to the Loire Valley? I'm thinking it's around 6 hours? we're plotting our route for next year.

:D

Did you drive from Normandy to the Loire Valley? I'm thinking it's around 6 hours? we're plotting our route for next year.

Yes, we drove, using the toll highway most of the way, so we made great time. We used Michelin maps purchased from our local bookstore and downloaded driving directions from their excellent website, which included anticipated travel times and even the locations of all the traffic cameras!

All of our highway travel in France was superb (once we left the crowded beltway from CDG airport around the northwest of Paris) because French drivers truly do stay to the right except to pass, and also use turn signals, a real treat in contrast to all of our USA driving.:)

I do not know the exact time it took but I believe it was about four hours from Bayeux (where we spent three nights) to our first stop in the Loire, the small but lovely Azay-le-Rideau chateau, then a very short drive from there to Villandry and its amazing gardens. We left there around 6 PM, get a little lost around Tours and arrived at Chenonceaux, the location of our wonderful small hotel, Le Rosareie, around 7 PM. We used there as a base for the rest of our Loire sightseeing for three nights.

We then dropped the car we had picked up a week earlier at CDG at Orly, which was less than a 2-1/2 hour drive from Chenonceaux, also almost all highway. From Orly, we took a taxi to our hotel in Paris for the next week. I was happy to drive the highways around Paris, but even after my 11 years of driving in Manhattan, I did not want to drive in central Paris.

Great to hear - thanks Pam. We land in Lyon so we'll be starting our journey in Burgundy, then the Loire Valley. We're debating Normandy (which get's my vote) vs. the Dordogne (not as far a drive) before spending the last 10 days in Provence. We've never had an issue driving in France, but have not driven in Paris :eek:

But those 22 nights (and perhaps even the days) should be memorable. We have driven throughout France on quite a few trips and have never tired of the country. This past May we rented an apartment in St Remy de Provence and spent 2 weeks in one place (of course we did a lot of driving around that part of Provence). Even 2 weeks was not enough for that region, much less a larger part of the country. For extended driving trips we really do like Provence and also the Loire Valley.

Hank

But those 22 nights (and perhaps even the days) should be memorable. We have driven throughout France on quite a few trips and have never tired of the country. This past May we rented an apartment in St Remy de Provence and spent 2 weeks in one place (of course we did a lot of driving around that part of Provence). Even 2 weeks was not enough for that region, much less a larger part of the country. For extended driving trips we really do like Provence and also the Loire Valley.

Hank

I really like St. Remy, we'll definitely go back there. We loved the place we rented in Lourmarin in 2007 so will probably look to rent there again this time with a few nights in a B & B outside Apt. Can't wait! We love France!

I really like St. Remy, we'll definitely go back there. We loved the place we rented in Lourmarin in 2007 so will probably look to rent there again this time with a few nights in a B & B outside Apt. Can't wait! We love France!

We loved France a lot more when a Euro cost 89 cents! :)

We're really torn.. so many beautiful places to visit and only 22 nights to do it :)

I will be interested in your final itinerary. What month are you going?

Our plans for next year's European adventure were a choice between a land trip to France because we never got south of the Loire Valley last time or our third cruise (our first was just last September).

Well, the distances looked so great to re-visit more of Normandy (which we loved), and then the Dordogne and Provence that we now-spoiled cruise folk just signed up for a Venice to Barcelona cruise which spends one day in Marseilles (we plan to go to Arles, by car or train) and one AM visit to Nice, then PM until late in Monaco. (We'll just stay in Nice.)

So, we postponed "southern" France to the following year, so I really would be interested in your itinerary.

Enjoy!

I will be interested in your final itinerary. What month are you going?

Our plans for next year's European adventure were a choice between a land trip to France because we never got south of the Loire Valley last time or our third cruise (our first was just last September).

Well, the distances looked so great to re-visit more of Normandy (which we loved), and then the Dordogne and Provence that we now-spoiled cruise folk just signed up for a Venice to Barcelona cruise which spends one day in Marseilles (we plan to go to Arles, by car or train) and one AM visit to Nice, then PM until late in Monaco. (We'll just stay in Nice.)

So, we postponed "southern" France to the following year, so I really would be interested in your itinerary.

Enjoy!

I'll definitely post the final details once it's set. We fly home from Marseille so I'm pretty sure we'll be spending the last 10 days of our trip in Provence....there's nowhere like it. You should spend some extended time there - it's beautiful. We're going June 17th - July 10th. I really wanted to see the Lavendar this time and that first week of July in Provence should be perfect timing.

Archived