Cozumel death =FOS

jdavidg

I was on this cruise and overheard someone on the ship talking after it happened and he said he witnessed it, he said the poor guy didn't last long after falling in, it truly is terrible. Rumors spread and the story changes. But I will just pray for his family to fight through it.

It wasn't a ship's tender. It was on one of the big catamaran ferries that takes you to Playa Del Carmen from Cozumel. You take these ferries if you want to go to the mainland. The most popular excursion that uses these ferries is the Tulum Mayan Ruins.

IIRC, it was actually the large old car ferry that runs back and forth to the mainland. It is an older propeller driven ship and ties up at the same pier that FOS uses. The catamarans use a pier closer to downtown San Miguel.

Hypo

And the man didn't die from his injuries right away, he died from coronary arrest (caused from the pain of the injuries) while being transported :(

We had a port side balcony cabin and watched the events unfold after an ambulance arrived.

I don't think he died from being transported because we saw him being brought up from the boat in a body bag.

I only took one picture and that is when the ambulance was on the scene. It left and a police forensics vehicle was brought in and the body bag eventually placed in it.

The scuttlebut is the man was intoxicated, fell in the water, and parts of his body were severed. A female, presumably his daughter, jumped in the water and tried to save him to no avail.

This scenerio was pieced together from various accounts I heard.

IIRC, it was actually the large old car ferry that runs back and forth to the mainland. It is an older propeller driven ship and ties up at the same pier that FOS uses. The catamarans use a pier closer to downtown San Miguel.

Are you sure it was on that old car ferry? I didn't know tourists used that old, slow thing.

On my Tulum excursion last month, we boarded the jet-propelled ferry right at the cruise pier (not downtown). This link to the story shows the stern of one of the tourist ferries.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://www.poresto.net/cgi-bin/news.cgi%3Ff%3D5074&ei=rsSjSu3aLOmStgfyrvH1Dw&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://www.poresto.net/cgi-bin/news.cgi%253Ff%253D5074%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DG

We had a port side balcony cabin and watched the events unfold after an ambulance arrived.

I don't think he died from being transported because we saw him being brought up from the boat in a body bag.

I only took one picture and that is when the ambulance was on the scene. It left and a police forensics vehicle was brought in and the body bag eventually placed in it.

The scuttlebut is the man was intoxicated, fell in the water, and parts of his body were severed. A female, presumably his daughter, jumped in the water and tried to save him to no avail.

This scenerio was pieced together from various accounts I heard.

This is the correct account we also had a portside balcony an saw the same thing. Lorelle

The catamaran on which he was a passenger had just returned from Passion Island, a shore excursion booked thru R.C.. We were on the deck preparing to exit onto the pier when we heard screams. Several passengers jumped down onto the platform above the rear of the starboard pontoon and attempted to pull the man out of the water, that's when they discovered he was entangled in the propulsion unit. He was looking up at us but didn't speak. Several passengers then jumped into the water to try and keep his head above water and several of us ran onto the pier to stress the urgency of the situation to the slowly approaching pier guard and get her to call whatever EMS type service that was available. The gentleman suffered massive blood loss very quickly into the water around the stern of the boat, extending out at least 20-25 ft. Medical staff finally arrived but he was probably deceased by then. It was a very tragic end to a beautiful day on Passion Island. Shortly before Freedom departed the family members disembarked into taxis and left the pier. Our prayers are with them.

The catamaran on which he was a passenger had just returned from Passion Island, a shore excursion booked thru R.C.. We were on the deck preparing to exit onto the pier when we heard screams. Several passengers jumped down onto the platform above the rear of the starboard pontoon and attempted to pull the man out of the water, that's when they discovered he was entangled in the propulsion unit. He was looking up at us but didn't speak. Several passengers then jumped into the water to try and keep his head above water and several of us ran onto the pier to stress the urgency of the situation to the slowly approaching pier guard and get her to call whatever EMS type service that was available. The gentleman suffered massive blood loss very quickly into the water around the stern of the boat, extending out at least 20-25 ft. Medical staff finally arrived but he was probably deceased by then. It was a very tragic end to a beautiful day on Passion Island. Shortly before Freedom departed the family members disembarked into taxis and left the pier. Our prayers are with them.

Thank you for this articulate (and heart-breaking) eyewitness account.

Wow, what a sad situation. I feel so bad for his family.

We were just on that same Royal Caribbean excursion to Passion Island when we were on the Liberty about 5 weeks ago. The crew handling the catamaran were very careful with the passengers safety. This is so tragic for all involved.

Colleen

That's a chilling story.

Thanks for the first-hand account. :(

The crew of the catamaran did everything right, no fault can be assigned to them. We were given a thorough safety briefing prior to departure by Alejandro and all requirements were strictly enforced throughout our excursion. Many passengers and crew on the catamaran exhausted all options trying to rescue this individual but time was not on our side. It was extremely painful to watch this situation unfold knowing what the end result would be. Several Scuba divers from the adjacent dock swam over to try and assist, we appreciate their efforts. Emergency response in Coxumel was poor. Cruisers, this is the LAST place you want to be treated for an medical emergency off ship.

Emergency response in Coxumel was poor. Cruisers, this is the LAST place you want to be treated for a medical emergency off ship.

Poor in what way? I saw the ambulance on the dock but wondered if there was anything they could have done (sounds to me like not really). A blanket statement like this puts Mexico and its emergency personnel in a bad light and I also don't think that's very fair? BTW, my prayers are with the family...

Hypo

In April, we also boarded one of those jet-catamaran things right next to the Celebrity Century at the "cruise pier".

I didn't take a look upstairs on the ferry (most awful boat ride I ever did, I was glad I stayed downstairs), but is that thing "open" upstairs?

That ferry rocked so hard going to the mainland, and as I sat next to the window, I could see waved rolling over the ferry, like really high, so I thought upstairs, it was closed/ inside too? :confused:

It is really sad this happened, and from what I read here, I don't think any Emergency team could do a lot for him.

I guess this is the reason why on so many things, they want you to keep seated until the vehicle is at a complete stop.

Another Black Eye for Royal Caribbean.

Why?? This happened on shore, away from the ship. If you crossed a street in Cozumel and were run down by a taxi, would this also be RCCL's fault?

IT was a very tragic accident, we are all in sympathy and prayers for the family and loved ones.

If you take a look at RCCLRULES history, every post seems to have the desire to stir up trouble or make facile comments. I suggest it's either a silly teenager or (even worse) a silly adult with too much time on their hands :rolleyes:

I guess it really doesn't matter what caused the man to fall off. The entire situation was an accident and certainly not RCCL's fault.

I thought about this tragedy all through the night. :( My prayers go out to the family, friends, crew and rescuers who had to witness such an awful accident. ;) This is a reminder that we must all be cautious and follow rules wherever we are.

I thought about this tragedy all through the night. :( My prayers go out to the family, friends, crew and rescuers who had to witness such an awful accident. ;) This is a reminder that we must all be cautious and follow rules wherever we are.

I thought about this one a lot also. I just can not imagine seeing that happen to my husband. This has got to be one of, if not the, worst cruise related accidents I have heard of.

What a terrible tragedy!!

I feel horrible for everyone involved. It really makes you realize how careful you have to be. I think everyone gets so excited and anxious on these cruises and excursions that sometimes saftey is thrown out the window in many ways.

This is a very hard lesson to all!!

My prayers go out to his family and friends.

Oh my god, that is just terrible. I was on the exact same sailing and never heard any talk on the ship about this incident. I hope his family is coping. It must be bad for the people who saw this too, to witness such a gruesome and tragic event on their vacation.

Archived