20/20 Hindsight, Solstice looks like a weird itinerary

felixdacat

This is not a complaint. My family booked our cruise with our eyes open.

We are booked on a 7 night cruise out of Fort Lauderdale on the Solstice on 12/20/09.

It goes to San Juan, to St Maarten, to Tortola, to their private beach in Laberdee Haiti.

But when you go into the details is when it gets a little weird. You do not get into San Juan till 2PM after a day at sea. So you are ship bound for the first 45 ½ hours of the cruise. The ship leaves port at 8PM, so you really only have 5-5.5 hours in San Juan. Not much time to do anything, plus the sun sets around 5:30PM.

Then it’s off to St Maarten and that’s a nice day, having 11 hours in port. Then you arrive in Tortola at 7AM and are out by 2PM. Again, not a heck of a lot of time to do much.

You then arrive in Laberdee at 11 (Xmas morning) and stay till 6:30 followed by another day at Sea.

Seems like they may have been better off making Laberdee the first stop. Or maybe have a different destination entirely for the first port, something on Hispanola.

I’m sure the itinerary has a lot to do with what ports they have contracts with and what ships are already booked into each port. But this package could use some tweaking.

Different itineraries for different folks. I love sea days, so I would enjoy the first 45+ hours "shipbound." The other good point about this itinerary--they get you into warm weather quckily. Hopefully it will be nice on deck and by the pool. Enjoy your cruise.

Hmm, we're on Solstice the following week, and the itenerary is a little different: Ft Laud, at sea, San Juan (2pm-10pm), St. Kitts (10am-6pm), St. Maarten (7am-6pm), at sea, at sea, Ft Laud.

We were considering the xmas cruise, but the air for New Years was cheaper, and CC cabins were cheaper, too.

Hmm, we're on Solstice the following week, and the itenerary is a little different: Ft Laud, at sea, San Juan (2pm-10pm), St. Kitts (10am-6pm), St. Maarten (7am-6pm), at sea, at sea, Ft Laud.

We were considering the xmas cruise, but the air for New Years was cheaper, and CC cabins were cheaper, too.

jaysoldschool:

Both itineraries are as stated. They just rotated them every other week. We did the Labadee vs St Kitts one.

Looks to be the same schedule for the upcoming season.

This is not a complaint. My family booked our cruise with our eyes open.

We are booked on a 7 night cruise out of Fort Lauderdale on the Solstice on 12/20/09.

It goes to San Juan, to St Maarten, to Tortola, to their private beach in Laberdee Haiti.

But when you go into the details is when it gets a little weird. You do not get into San Juan till 2PM after a day at sea. So you are ship bound for the first 45 ½ hours of the cruise. The ship leaves port at 8PM, so you really only have 5-5.5 hours in San Juan. Not much time to do anything, plus the sun sets around 5:30PM.

Then it’s off to St Maarten and that’s a nice day, having 11 hours in port. Then you arrive in Tortola at 7AM and are out by 2PM. Again, not a heck of a lot of time to do much.

You then arrive in Laberdee at 11 (Xmas morning) and stay till 6:30 followed by another day at Sea.

Seems like they may have been better off making Laberdee the first stop. Or maybe have a different destination entirely for the first port, something on Hispanola.

I’m sure the itinerary has a lot to do with what ports they have contracts with and what ships are already booked into each port. But this package could use some tweaking.

I think its fine, Its always nice to get into SJU late and get a nice morning on the ship. We find 6 hours or so in SJU just the right amount of time. I am sure it will be lovely for you..go and enjoy!

We did the other itin on Solstice . With the very common short stop in San Juan , we did one of the forts, walked, shopped & got a drink at the Parrot Club...that was enough for us

We also had a short time in Tortola on another cruise. We were there before so we shared a cab with another couple to Sopers Hole- Go early & beat the traffic. It's a nice spot for views, quiet shopping (smaller versions of some of the main stores in port) & drinks--then head back into town when the crowds arrive...& back to the ship

On Solstice, ship was the highlight of the trip but we managed some port fun too...

Archived