LIVE from Fairbanks to Vancouver cruisetour 9/6/09

Pia1913

Pia and Donna,

Thanks for taking us along. I look forward to the next journey. Just wish we were really with you. But, we are busy planning Star Princess October 24 - Sydney to LA.

Enjoy your day in Vancouver. Do you get to stay in the same cabins the entire trip?

Fran

I'll use up the rest of DH's minutes while waiting for our transit stuff to arrive - evidently they forgot about us down at the Purser's Desk and are scrambling around to get our stuff together - have been asking about it since yesterday evening...grrr...

Just to add a couple of notes about things - Juneau - we had a fun time visiting the Brewery there - we took a cab from the dock to go out there - $20 for 4 people, and the brewery tour and samples themselves were free - ran into a Princess tour that had included a visit to the Mendenhall Glacier and a stop at the brewery - sure it cost a lot more than we spent! Went back on the bus since the rain had stopped by then, and it was very easy and took us very close to the pier area, so if you are looking for an easy inexpensive way to get around, can recommend the local bus system, but make sure you have correct change $1.50/person each way - and you take the Mendenhall bus - not the express, the local.

On the way up the Inside Passage after Ketchikan, be sure and spend time out on deck or on your balcony if you have one - much marine wildlife out there - saw lots of Dall dolphins (they are the ones that look like orcas - black and white) and other marine mammals - I saw either a small humpback or another species of whale - it was too far away to be sure.

This has been a really spectacular cruise/tour with fabulous scenery and wildlife and, in general, really amazing weather. Should be about out of time now and I need to go harass the purser's desk again about our paperwork....

On the way up the Inside Passage after Ketchikan, be sure and spend time out on deck or on your balcony if you have one - much marine wildlife out there - saw lots of Dall dolphins (they are the ones that look like orcas - black and white) and other marine mammals - I saw either a small humpback or another species of whale - it was too far away to be sure.

Thats our favorite time!! :D

Pia, I have a silly question for you.... how are you staying on the ship and starting a new cruise? Doesn't this go against the passenger act that says you have to stay in Vancouver for at least 48 hours? I am still sorta new to all this so please excuse if this is a real silly question. :D

Pia, I have a silly question for you.... how are you staying on the ship and starting a new cruise? Doesn't this go against the passenger act that says you have to stay in Vancouver for at least 48 hours? I am still sorta new to all this so please excuse if this is a real silly question. :D

The ship will make one or more stops that will keep the PVSA folks happy. Panama, at a minimum.

Pia and company are taking B2B2B cruises to get from Fairbanks to Fort Lauderdale. This cruise was from Fairbanks to Vancouver, the 2nd cruise is from Vancouver to LA and the 3rd cruise is LA to Fort Lauderdale. Since the 3rd cruise does go to foreign ports, they are able to combine these cruises. The 1st two I think would not have been possible as B2B but with the 3rd one added, it satisfied the PSA Act.

ok i think i get it now. so if the 2nd one went vancouver, victoria then LA would that have satisfied the PSA act?

No, Vancouver and Victoria are foreign ports but they are not considered distant foreign ports. If they had booked just Fairbanks to Vancouver and then Vancouver to LA, they would not have been able to combine them. To cruise from Fairbanks to LA is a no no. They are only able to do this because they are going from LA to Fort Lauderdale via Mexico, Panama etc.

Cruise 1 - Fairbanks to Vancouver

Cruise 2 - Vancouver to LA

Cruise 3 - LA to Fort Lauderdale

B2B2B of all 3 cruises ok, B2B cruise 2 and cruise 3 ok but B2B of cruise 1 and 2 would not be ok

Hope this is clearer.:p

yes ok a distant foreign port. ok that does make it clearer. it is still so wonderful that she can do that. we loved our 1 week cant wait for our sort of 1.5 week one next year.......i can only imagine how wonderful it must be to be doing the trip Pia is doing. i am living through her and taking notes.......:D

Just popping in to answer a previous question. We are technically on a B2B, not on a B2B2B. They would not allow us to do that. The first cruise was 7 days, the 2nd 18 days. We were not able to book the 18 as a 3 and a 15 because of the PSA. I hope you all understand, and now I'm on the way to starting the new LIVE.

Just popping in to answer a previous question. We are technically on a B2B, not on a B2B2B. They would not allow us to do that. The first cruise was 7 days, the 2nd 18 days. We were not able to book the 18 as a 3 and a 15 because of the PSA. I hope you all understand, and now I'm on the way to starting the new LIVE.

Oops! Good thing you don't need the # of cruises for your elite status. I guess it's all total days now for you.:D

Pia, heck whether it is a B2B2B or a B2B.....good for you, sounds like heaven and i have enjoyed reading your posts. we can not wait until our cruise and if we love alaska as much as i think we will, next time we go we want to do a cruisetour! :D you made all those other locations sound so great......well except for the poor bear......

Okay, just have to ask. Who is Arlene? Obviously I've missed something in this thread :confused::D

No you didn't miss anything - it's Donna and Pia in Alaska.. A big senior moment while trying to keep up on another roll call "live". Not as good a multi tasker as I thought I was.:(

Thanks for the update Arlene, We have done that tour - the Dali sheep were only white specs with the naked eye. Didn't see much else that we can't see in the woods less than 5 miles from our house. In fact we see bald eagles all the time.

Ron

Call me naive!! Thanks, Ron. I suppose next someone will try to tell me Toto's real name isn't really Toto :D:D:D

"Pia" & Donna - Enjoyed this very much. Looking forward to the next one.

Hi all. We have recovered from the last cruise on Coral, and will probably sail Island Princess, Apr. 29th, Ft Laudadale to Vancouver, next spring. Let's say that the price is right, [it is on the last page of the 2 for 1 deal that Princess so thoughtfully sen to to us].

Have fun you guys.

john