Best Spanish Phrase?

RogerCalgary

As I'm preparing to visit Mexico, I've been trying to cram some Spanish into my head. Good thing there's already some French in there.

Anyone care to share their favourite or most useful Spanish phrases or words?

(Also, I like a good joke as much as anyone, but this is a family board, so let's keep it clean, folks.)

Ma~nana,

Roger

As I'm preparing to visit Mexico, I've been trying to cram some Spanish into my head. Good thing there's already some French in there.

(Also, I like a good joke as much as anyone, but this is a family board, so let's keep it clean, folks.)

Ma~nana,

Roger

Series, any shop or bar or whatever you walk into in a port city will understand English. If you want to try I'm sure the locals will appreciate it, but for just surviving not necessary, no way.

A genuine smile and thank you will garner more respect for you.

Series, any shop or bar or whatever you walk into in a port city will understand English. If you want to try I'm sure the locals will appreciate it, but for just surviving not necessary, no way.

A genuine smile and thank you will garner more respect for you.

That's true. However, I know that the locals always appreciate it when you make an attempt at their language. I know I do when a foreign visitor is here. "While in Rome........"! ;)

Here is a good english-spanish dictionary:

http://www.spanishdict.com/dictionary

Ginny

Ma~nana,

Roger

It is considered rude for a waiter to bring you the bill at a bar/restaurant. You have to ask for it.

la cuenta, por favor = bill [or check] please

Enjoy!

Thanks to everyone who responded to this! It's all been very helpful.

I realize I'd be perfectly fine with just English. But I find picking up a bit of the language to be one of the most enjoyable parts of traveling around this big old world of ours.

Cheers,

Roger

no mi moleste

leave me alone.....good for when you are trying to relax on the beach and someone is trying to sell you 3 month old chicklets :D

haha! My husband came out of the Oxxo (convenience store) the other day with a handfull of chiclets. They ran out of change so they asked if it was ok to give him chiclets instead!!

My favorite phrase is: "Que tenga buen dia", which is the Spanish version of have a nice day. The response is usually "equalamente" which would be like "you, too" Use this phrase at the end of a transaction or leaving a restaurant. That way you are moving along before anyone thinks you really speak Spanish and asks you something!!

Donde puedo comprar un bigote falso para mi perro?

Where can I buy a large brown fake Moustache for my dog?

Soy Zod, el master de la destruccion. Mi mision es gobernar tu debil pais y esclavizar a sus piltrafillas por toda la eternidad. MMMWwwwhhhaaaa Hhhaa hhaaa haaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Hello I'm pleased to meet you

A mi llama se le ha caido una pata y querria comprar una rueda de repuesto, por favor.

- The leg has fallen off of my Llama and so I'd like to buy some sort of replacement wheel please.

Con este bigote, yo te desposo.

- With this fake Moustache, I thee wed.........

!Acerquense y vean! Una oportunidad única de ver a un perro con un cuchillo zumbando a un caballo con una pistola.

- Roll up, Roll up. A once in a lifetime oppertunity to see a dog with a knife fight a horse with a gun.

Una vez construi un ordenador de arena utilizando ramitas y trozos de cuerda.

I once built a computer out of sand using twigs and large pieces of rope.

Tu tienes una vaca caliente en tu trasero.

You have a hot cow in your butt.

Archived