Target per day prices for solo cruiser.

SISer

I've done lots of research (on curise ports) , longing to get away on a cruise, lots of attractive prices, but add the taxes and oh, yeah that dreaded single supplement and.........well, you know.

I thought I'd start a thread of target prices per day for a solo cruiser. This thread will hopefully allow new cruisers (like myself) to learn from seasoned cruisers.

I know prices will differ depending on the cruise line.

What's a deal? A fair price? An expensive price?

Do you try to book a cruise for $X per day?

So, how much do the mainstreams cruise lines cost for a solo cruiser. Holland America? Celebrity? Carnival (1As)? RCCL Norwegian?

Honestly, I have no idea, I thought the hopefully some seasoned cruisers will have something to say.

At present the least per person per day cost, based on a solo cruise that I can find is $120 per day. (on HAL) So, what's that, a good price, a deal?

My last cruise (which was my first cruise) cost $150 per day for a solo traveller.

I'm trying to choose which destination to cruise to next. I can get away for an extended time most months of the year, and have lots of FF miles for free airfare. I'm thinking given the economy, I should choose the best cruise deal.

Any thoughts?

I've booked 3 day cruises for between $80-90 a day total. For my Thanksgiving week cruise, I know it's a premium week to sail, so I expect to pay around $120-150 a day. If it's a cruise I can take or leave, I won't pay over $100 a day total. I just walked away from a 4 day Canada/New England cruise because the price never dropped below $400. It got as low as $440 and I didn't want to pay that much. I don't regret it. I'm looking at an 18 day Australia/New Zealand cruisetour in a couple of years. I expect it's going to cost me substantially more than $250 a day, and I'm prepared to pay it.

What's a deal? A fair price? An expensive price?

Naturally, these are "subjective" issues. I've managed to stay below $200/day which is what I figure I'd spend on a land-based vacation, including meals. I don't necessarily shop for the "cheapest" cabin I can find, but rather look for a good deal (usually a balcony) for the price I am willing to pay (up to $200/day).

I think the lowest I've paid for a cruise was about $140/day. Most were around $180 - $200/day. I might be willing to go over $200/day, but only for an extraordinary itinerary or special situation. (These are base rates for a solo traveler, before taxes and gratuities, typically in an outside or balcony cabin.)

The best deal I've come across so far is my upcoming 4 day repo on the Zaandam, $245 with full SS and taxes and fees. If I could have found someone to go with me, it would have $99 PP plus taxes etc.

Either way I consider it an outstanding price.

I'm paying $173 a day 6days Bahamas, this included taxed and port chrgs

I feel room , meals and entertainment , its more than worth it versus land vac. A decent/named hotel nowadays has an avg rate of $120 per night.

Then add your three meals a day. and maybe you are concerned about skipping lunch to pay for a great dinner. Tickets to a show or event can cost.

And Hey it's a cabin to ourselves... Priceless!!icon14.gif

Do you know what ship you'll be going on? I would love to do that itinerary, I had one booked w/RCCL for 3/2010 but had to cancel. There will be another time!!

I've booked 3 day cruises for between $80-90 a day total. For my Thanksgiving week cruise, I know it's a premium week to sail, so I expect to pay around $120-150 a day. If it's a cruise I can take or leave, I won't pay over $100 a day total. I just walked away from a 4 day Canada/New England cruise because the price never dropped below $400. It got as low as $440 and I didn't want to pay that much. I don't regret it. I'm looking at an 18 day Australia/New Zealand cruisetour in a couple of years. I expect it's going to cost me substantially more than $250 a day, and I'm prepared to pay it.

I am booked to sail on a 7-day cruise out of Miami in January. The price of my cabin (for 1) was $538. With taxes that comes to $601. I booked 6 months out in order to nab a 1A with 2 port holes. :D I did not use the early saver program to book this cruise because it was within $20 of the regular pricing. I consider this a bargain. When looking at many 5 day cruises with similar itineraries, the total price was within $100.

I have noticed that the single supplement prices vary a lot from cruise to cruise even on the same cruise line. In order to find a bargain, you have to be willing to spend the time to shop. :rolleyes:

I've been lucky where I managed to get some cruises for right at around $120 per day. On my most recent cruise in May, due to Carnival changing my cruise from five to seven days, the daily rate was about $81 a day. On my 14 day cruise in 2008, the daily rate was around $110 per day.

I've managed to take cruises where my single rate runs between 120% to 150% average. I also was blessed with major price drops that help.

On my upcoming solo cruise, my daily rate right now is $163 a day on a 11 day cruise. I really don't like paying that much for a cruise. But I did book this one very early (over a year out) due to wanting a certain cabin and dining time. I'm hoping that the price goes down between now and August 2010 when my final payment is due.

I primary cruise with either Carnival or Holland America on my solo cruises because they offer the best rates for a solo cruisers.

If you can, also cruising at certain times offer better rates for solo cruisers. For Alaska if you can sail at the start or end of the season the rates are better. The same goes for the Caribbean. If you can sail during the late summer (September) fall (October and November) to the first two weeks in December, the rates are favorable. Also if you are flexiable signing up for pack and go cruises rates with some of the travel agents can score great pricing.

Tell us what you decide to sail on!!

----------------

Now playing: Rick Braun - Papa Dee

via FoxyTunes

Price per day is based on so many variables that I'm not sure it's the best way to judge a cruise fare. It will change based on time of year (holidays vs off season), the ship, the itinerary, the type of room booked (obviously a balcony will cost more than an inside), etc.

I judge a cruise price as "fair" based on its cost relative to the cost of staying on land and paying for hotel & meals in a similar location. I do NOT compare quality of accomodations or food when judging costs because those things don't really matter to me. I'd be just as happy eating a hot dog as a steak so when I look at land prices, I add things up on a "hot dog" budget. Usually the land price wins (which is okay because that's what I prefer) - but my cruise to Alaska ended up being $115 per night including all taxes/fees/surcharges/gratuities for the cheapest inside cabin. That was cheaper than a similar trip to Alaska by land so I chose cruising :)

I have always tried to keep the costs to below $200 a day, at least on the mainstream cruiselines. That's typically my top number. That being said, I've found many good deals for solos and there have been many cruises where I've paid between $80-140 a day based on the cruiseline, and the time of the year that I'm taking the cruise. I've tried not to pay an extra 100% supplement (in fact, I don't think I ever have). If you spend the time and keep searching and checking the cruise sites, you can find some good prices for solos! Happy cruising to all!

I'm paying $173 a day 6days Bahamas, this included taxed and port chrgs

I feel room , meals and entertainment , its more than worth it versus land vac. A decent/named hotel nowadays has an avg rate of $120 per night.

Then add your three meals a day. and maybe you are concerned about skipping lunch to pay for a great dinner. Tickets to a show or event can cost.

And Hey it's a cabin to ourselves... Priceless!!icon14.gif

WOW, I can't believe this price (yes, I believe you but this price is incredible! :D Good for you!). I had a 6-night Bahamas cruise out of NYC and thought 350$ including all taxes and fees were a great deal for a solo (no single supplement).

Of course, for me it's usually cheaper to sail out of the North-East because I take the bus (air is expensive from Canada).

I always take the $pp/day into account, I think it's a good way to think about the price since I know that a hotel (or even a good hostel) + 3 decent meals a day on land will cost more than my cruises usually do.

IMHO, anything under 70$pp/day is a bargain, 80-110$ per day is a good price and I won't book anything over that amount (of course, I am happy with an inside cabin but even my Cunard cruise was under 110$/day as a solo).

Agreeing with JP2001 that $70/pp per day is a bargain (usually on repositioning cruises); $70-110/pp per day is good. Would grab any of these--------even if the itinerary doesn't have a variety of "new" ports for me there is always something interesting to do. I can't live at home for $70 per day. Air is always extra tho.

Another idea I've used several times with great success:

Find a couple of cruises you would like to take to and from a busy port city, perhaps Barcelona. Then, using your frequent flyer miles get a round trip ticket to Barcelona. Airlines have allowed me to change the date of the ticket without extra charge if I change my mind on the particular cruise I want (if the cost is too much), but you cannot change the itineary once its established.

Cost per day is the only way to go! Susie:)

Do you know what ship you'll be going on? I would love to do that itinerary, I had one booked w/RCCL for 3/2010 but had to cancel. There will be another time!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpg1747 viewpost.gif

Sorry, which cruise are you asking about?

I don't ever have a traget per day price but rather look at the total cost as I invaraibly have to take the cost of air travel and hotel overnight stay in to consideration.

that said the lowest prices that I've paid per day have always been on those long repositioning journeys. For example a 20 night Italy to S Africa is only costing about £50 more than a 7 night in the med cost. Had a balcony on the Med cruise but have a suite on the 20 night one - so probably would have been cheaper iwth the same type of cabin

Quote by AmoMondo:

"I don't ever have a traget per day price but rather look at the total cost as I invaraibly have to take the cost of air travel and hotel overnight stay in to consideration."

I have to echo this post because I don't price my cruises

per day either.

I look at the total price and figure out if it is within my budget.

Pricing per day won't change my finances;)

I just returned from Alaska and it was FABULOUS:D...the cruise

total was 1303.00 for a window so it was about 185.00 per night.

I am going to the Caribbean in January out of San Juan and was

able to get a balcony this time~total is 1280.00. I am pleased:)

Now I am trying to do my first cruise to Europe in Sept 2010

and hoping I am able......It is 7 nights and lots of ports

in Italy.....its a bit more money but the itinerary looks sooo

good:)

WOW, I can't believe this price (yes, I believe you but this price is incredible! :D Good for you!). I had a 6-night Bahamas cruise out of NYC and thought 350$ including all taxes and fees were a great deal for a solo (no single supplement).

Of course, for me it's usually cheaper to sail out of the North-East because I take the bus (air is expensive from Canada).

I always take the $pp/day into account, I think it's a good way to think about the price since I know that a hotel (or even a good hostel) + 3 decent meals a day on land will cost more than my cruises usually do.

IMHO, anything under 70$pp/day is a bargain, 80-110$ per day is a good price and I won't book anything over that amount (of course, I am happy with an inside cabin but even my Cunard cruise was under 110$/day as a solo).

JP, I'm paying $173per day, I think I confused you. Sorry, In regards to the other posts, I wish I was retired so that I could shop for cruises, I really don't have the luxury of time to get away anytime I want, I have three weeks vacation a year and have to spread it out.

I also tried to land a 1A and they were all booked on this particular cruise.

Maybe the triumph does not have alot of those cabins. As a matter of fact I booked in July, I quess it has to be a year out.

I think I have everyone beat :D 4nighter on the Carnival Imagination in October Cat 1A $71.00 a day inclusive of taxes. It was a toss up of either this or Vegas. Not having to pay for food won out :D

That's a great rate!! Vegas can wait, but a cruise pricing for a solo at $71 won't!!

Quote by AmoMondo:

"I don't ever have a traget per day price but rather look at the total cost as I invaraibly have to take the cost of air travel and hotel overnight stay in to consideration."

I have to echo this post because I don't price my cruises

per day either.

I look at the total price and figure out if it is within my budget.

Pricing per day won't change my finances;)

I just returned from Alaska and it was FABULOUS:D...the cruise

total was 1303.00 for a window so it was about 185.00 per night.

I am going to the Caribbean in January out of San Juan and was

able to get a balcony this time~total is 1280.00. I am pleased:)

Now I am trying to do my first cruise to Europe in Sept 2010

and hoping I am able......It is 7 nights and lots of ports

in Italy.....its a bit more money but the itinerary looks sooo

good:)

Oh Italy is just such a fantastic place - you are going to fall in love with it!

Oh Italy is just such a fantastic place - you are going to fall in love with it!

It would be my first time there and the ports look fantastic to me.:)

I am so used to doing the planning for places "I know".....if that

makes sense. These are all NEW!

I have not been to Europe in about 30 years:eek: and never

on a cruise and NEVER to Italy.

This should be an eye opening experience:D

Next week I'm going on a 5 night on RCCL out of San Diego, so short hop for me from AZ. With a senior rate, came out to $122 per night including all taxes and fees, with paid gratuities, for a balcony; I can't wait!

This will be my third solo cruise, my twenty something cruise. I'll be missing my husband, but it will bring back many fond memories.

I'm now looking at cruises and thinking 'we would have paid that for the two of us, so if I have to pay more than half what it would have been, I'm worth it'. I know he wouldn't want me to stay home........

Archived