To cabin #7434 door slammers on Sep 6 2009 Freedom

Scrappytraveller

I was on this cruise too, and I was so happy to read this post (not happy that you had to deal with this too, but happy because I am not alone in my disdain for the Carnival Freedom Door Slammers!)

I thought I was the only one who was HATING my neighbors on this cruise. We were in room 6384 and I had this one woman next to me who was in and out, in and out, in an out sometimes 4 or 5 times *per minute*!!! :mad: :mad: It was absolutely nuts! She was a loud talker too. She was also very rude and would peak around the divider to look at me every time I would go out to the balcony if she was out there. The guy next to us on the other side would do the same. (also door slammed, but not as much as CrazyLoudTalkerDoorSlammingLady next to us!) I was appalled, I felt like I had no privacy and couldn't believe how rude these people were. How hard would it have been to hold the door for a second so it wouldn't slam shut? I don't recall having this door slamming problem on my other Carnival cruises. I guess I just had more considerate neighbors before, or the Freedom has defective doors.

I should also mention that she would be out on her balcony as early as 6 am going in and out, in and out, in and out. What an unpleasant thing to constantly hear when you are in your room trying to sleep. :mad:

I seriously thought about complaining either to her directly or to the purser's desk, but I didn't want it to backfire on me and have the rest of the cruise ruined by a vengeful neighbor. Been there, done that.....:(

Argh!!!! Thanks for letting me vent! I feel better now. :)

Sorry it ruined your cruise. Balcony rooms are way too stressful, IMO. I had one extended balcony cabin on the Carnival Miracle, and decided that OV is not only cheaper, but much better because you don't have to deal with obnoxious people, balcony door slamming, or upwind smokers. Plus, you usually get more interior space.

Precisely why I no longer book balconies on Carnival anymore and opt for the oceanviews. Smokers, slammers & more space.

One of my pet peeves is the balcony door slammers on a cruise. The whole cabin shakes and I sometimes wonder how many people are in the next cabin because, surely, it can't be ONE or TWO people going out onto the balcony so many times! Fortunately, while it seems to happen every cruise, on some cruises it's only been the first day and once or twice after that. On other cruises, it's been every time they use the balcony!

I am an early riser (5:00 to 5:30 a.m. most mornings) and one of the first things I like to do when I wake up is go outside onto my balcony and check out where we are, the weather, etc. I have always been tempted if I have slammers around me to allow my door to slam and wake them up, but I don't have it in me to be that rude. Besides, I'd probably be the one who gets a call from the Purser saying someone has complained about MY door slamming. :D

Scrappytraveller....Sorry you could not enjoy your balcony..

Glad to see your post tho, we missed you for the meet & greet on the Glory. Your fellow Canadian, Quinn, was worried about you. He looked for you on your flight, and then you missed the M&G. Maybe we will meet on another cruise sometime.

Happy sailing

Wow, hi! So cool to hear from a previous CC group. As I suspected would happen on that cruise, since I was travelling with sister, BIL and kids + others, plus early seating for dinner, time just got away from me after the muster drill. The kids were having too much fun already and I didn't want to miss a minute. Here's to a future cruise! :)

Really, a balcony is a 'private space'..you have make a special effort to view another's balcony space (except for some aft spaces).

That's a peeping Tom...IMHO.

I would be pretty unhappy if people in the rooms next to me were having a conversation whith each other and me and hubby were in the middle. I think that is way more rude than a door slammer. I would feel that my private space(balcony) had been invaded.:eek:

I hope you safely got back to the rock you must live under and were welcomed home by your lousy hick parents who never taught you any manners at all. Thanks so much for ruining our every attempt at enjoying our balcony with your CONSTANT balcony door slamming. You must have incontinence problems to require going IN & OUT & IN & OUT & IN & OUT all day long. Guess it's just simply too hard to hold a door handle for 5 seconds.

Or maybe you were just trying to outdo the rest of the inconsiderate door slammers that littered deck 7 aft on the Freedom last week. It was especially lovely to hear before 7:00am.

We had the same thing on Liberty 2 weeks ago. It was people next to, above and below us. It was as early as 6 am and as late as 1 am.

I hope you safely got back to the rock you must live under and were welcomed home by your lousy hick parents who never taught you any manners at all. Thanks so much for ruining our every attempt at enjoying our balcony with your CONSTANT balcony door slamming. You must have incontinence problems to require going IN & OUT & IN & OUT & IN & OUT all day long. Guess it's just simply too hard to hold a door handle for 5 seconds.

Or maybe you were just trying to outdo the rest of the inconsiderate door slammers that littered deck 7 aft on the Freedom last week. It was especially lovely to hear before 7:00am.

Is it just me or is there anyone else that would have asked the cabin steward to remind them that the slamming doors disturb the cabins around them? Maybe they did not realize the impact it was having on others? I surely would not spend 7 days listening to it and blaming their "lousy hick parents" for it. :eek:

I can't offer any suggestions regarding the door slammers and loud talkers....we've had them several times, and I know that it can be annoying. As far as the balcony lights go, you should definitely tell your room steward. I would guess that often when the balcony light remains on, the light has come on because a passenger didn't know what the switch was for, turned it on, and didn't realize that it operated the balcony light. If you tell your room steward, they'll go into that cabin and flip the switch.

I probably would have left a note on their door about how rude and inconsiderate they are. I know on our Hawaii trip the balcony next door smoked a very heavy pipe so I said kind of loud how horrible that is for someone who doesn't smoke. But I know he's allowed to so I really don't have a leg to stand on but I think after I said it - it got worse. So since I couldn't leave my door open anymore because of the smell I left the deck light on all night long - hope he slept well.

You can almost always catch more flies with honey then with vinegar.

On our 8/1 Glory cruise, our balcony door would gently swing shut and latch quietly on it's own. Nice.:) Also, none of the balcony lights would come on - so no problem there.

Our neighbor's doors were another matter...:mad:

IMHO, Carnival could save some grief by adjusting the doors correctly, and posting "strong suggestion" labels about slamming doors, both interior and exterior.

While I am not a huge fan of cigar smoke, I don't believe smoking Cubans is illegal while onboard ship (outside the U.S.). ;)

Well, I'm not sure what happens if a non US citizen gives you one for free and you smoke it (falls under any transaction maybe?), but otherwise it's illegal:

The question is often asked whether United States citizens or permanent resident aliens of the United States may legally purchase Cuban origin goods, including tobacco and alcohol products, in a third country for personal use outside the United States. The answer is no. The Regulations prohibit persons subject to the jurisdiction of the United States from purchasing, transporting, importing, or otherwise dealing in or engaging in any transactions with respect to any merchandise outside the United States if such merchandise (1) is of Cuban origin; or (2) is or has been located in or transported from or through Cuba; or (3) is made or derived in whole or in part of any article which is the growth, produce or manufacture of Cuba. Thus, in the case of cigars, the prohibition extends to cigars manufactured in Cuba and sold in a third country and to cigars manufactured in a third country from tobacco grown in Cuba.

The penalties for violating the prohibitions include maximum criminal fines for individuals of $250,000 and imprisonment for up to 10 years. Corporations can be fined as much as a million dollars.

Well, I'm not sure what happens if a non US citizen gives you one for free and you smoke it (falls under any transaction maybe?), but otherwise it's illegal:

The question is often asked whether United States citizens or permanent resident aliens of the United States may legally purchase Cuban origin goods, including tobacco and alcohol products, in a third country for personal use outside the United States. The answer is no. The Regulations prohibit persons subject to the jurisdiction of the United States from purchasing, transporting, importing, or otherwise dealing in or engaging in any transactions with respect to any merchandise outside the United States if such merchandise (1) is of Cuban origin; or (2) is or has been located in or transported from or through Cuba; or (3) is made or derived in whole or in part of any article which is the growth, produce or manufacture of Cuba. Thus, in the case of cigars, the prohibition extends to cigars manufactured in Cuba and sold in a third country and to cigars manufactured in a third country from tobacco grown in Cuba.

The penalties for violating the prohibitions include maximum criminal fines for individuals of $250,000 and imprisonment for up to 10 years. Corporations can be fined as much as a million dollars.

Thanks for that info. As I said I am not a fan of cigars or cigar smoke. I do not smoke anymore. However, I have seen people buy (what I believe) are Cuban cigars (in the Caymans, Venezuala, etc.) and smoke them while on board.

I would have to think it would be a tough prosecution.

Thanks for that info. As I said I am not a fan of cigars or cigar smoke. I do not smoke anymore. However, I have seen people buy (what I believe) are Cuban cigars (in the Caymans, Venezuala, etc.) and smoke them while on board.

I would have to think it would be a tough prosecution.

And this has to do with the original topic???

Scrappy...we were on that cruise too. We were in cabin 7340...I know I heard a lot of balcony noise from some unruly people I will say when I was sitting out on our balcony. I was out there the afternoon right before we left Jamaica and this wild bunch had the music blaring and they were singing...loudly and badly. Our neighbors were smoking outside so I was getting whiffs of that while out there. Ah well!

LOL! I'm sure you have, just not in so many words. I've seen plenty of complaints about balcony neighbors who "completely ruined" someone's cruise because they: were loud, were smoking [cigarettes, cigars, joints, pipes, hookahs, etc.], kept screaming at their kids, attempted to spit a misguided loogie over the rail, kept their lights on, etc.

1) How do you smoke a "hookah"?

2) If your "hookah" is smoking, is that a sign you are doing things incorrectly?

Archived