Question about parking in Bayonne

Fred C

After taking the shuttle from the ship to the terminal you will have the option of walking or taking another shuttle. Your decision will probably depend on how far you parked from the terminal

Is the parking lot back where it used to be a few years ago? Found it really easy to just pull in and park without messing with departing traffic, then drag the luggage to the porters.

Is the parking lot back where it used to be a few years ago? Found it really easy to just pull in and park without messing with departing traffic, then drag the luggage to the porters.

We were there a number of months ago and it was the same - only more expensive!

So everybody takes the shuttle from the Explorer to the terminal, regardless of whether or not you are taking all your own luggage off the ship or have put it outside your cabin door the last night of your cruise; then passengers claim their luggage at the terminal. I've read there are porters glad to help with the luggage, do they help take it to the curb pick up or go to the parking lot? There are 5 of us, driving, and probably a lot of luggage for a 9 night cruise.

So everybody takes the shuttle from the Explorer to the terminal, regardless of whether or not you are taking all your own luggage off the ship or have put it outside your cabin door the last night of your cruise; then passengers claim their luggage at the terminal. I've read there are porters glad to help with the luggage, do they help take it to the curb pick up or go to the parking lot? There are 5 of us, driving, and probably a lot of luggage for a 9 night cruise.

yes as it is an active port you MUST ride the shuttle......with or without your stuff

the porters will take you to the cab area, or to your car, but i would most likely give them a few extra bucks....

After

Thought I'd clarify. As of summer '09, the parking is AFTER the tent where you drop off luggage and check in. Therefore, all passengers EXCEPT driver get dropped off at the tent with luggage (except for carryons) which porters take (tip). The driver proceeds to the parking which is past this point. For the most part, it is close and one can walk it easily. There are chairs to wait for one another under the tent. Then all proceed into check-in with Sea Pass and Passports in hand. After check-in, EVERYONE takes a shuttle bus (H/C accessible also) to the ship - 5 minute ride and board the ship via ramp or few steps.

Upon return, everyone must board the shuttle to get to the stored luggage or area where car is parked. Porters are there (generally have to search for them or stand in line for them) and they take the luggage to wherever you want ----- Near parking lot -- not to car. It's a good system.

One other note -- there is nothing at Bayonne -- nearest store is about 1 mile out at entrance - not walkable from entrance. Vicki:)

Sorry for the mistake about Hoboken. I mean Bayonne. Does anyone know if I can

walk to the parking lot after disembarking the Explorer or is there a shuttle I have

to take? Thanks.

I would consider it TOO far to walk.:eek: (after all it IS vacation...);)

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the great explanation, just another question, are there signs directing you to drop off at the tent, then proceed to the parking? Also, approaching Bayonne are there port parking signs directing you. This is our first time dring to a port.

You get off the NJ Turnpike at exit 14a. After you go through the toll booth, you go straight ahead onto the road that goes up a ramp and curves left. Follow this ramp and bear right to the traffic light. Make a left and stay left. At the next traffic light make a left onto Port Terminal Blvd. and just keep going for almost 2 miles to the drop off area. The drop off area is a big loop at the end of the peninsula which is the working port area. The parking is in the center of the loop. After you drop off, you continue on and make a left and then another left between the buildings to come back into the parking. Be prepared to be patient. Sometimes the traffic really backs up along the port road and sometimes it's fine.

IMO the signs aren't so great. They are there if you know what you're looking for, but they're hard to find. It's a lot easier once you are on the port road because there is not really anywhere to go except that road.

One other note -- there is nothing at Bayonne -- nearest store is about 1 mile out at entrance - not walkable from entrance. Vicki:)

the store..a stop n shop (almong with a liquor store and a few other things) is next to the port...you have to make a little jughandle to get into the shopping center...

the road into the pier is 1.8 miles long..so you really can;'t walk. it is not paved.....maybe someday, but i still wouldn't walk. you can drive....a cab is about 8 bucks (been there done that on the B2B....half the people in the grocery store were crew!!)

Archived