Photoshop

Roadtripster

Is there much difference between Picasa, Photo Shop Elements, and Windows Live Gallery? WLG came with my computer, so I have been using that.

In terms of processing power, I would give WLG a 1, Picasa a 5 (for some reason I just do not like Picasa) and Elements a 50.

DON

I have been thinking about this and another thread involving Photoshop where the OP wonders about the possibility of using the software to change a person’s eyes in a photo. Photoshop, currently “Creative Suite 5” and its scaled down cousins “Elements” are very powerful sets of software. In essence, they are pixel editing graphic design programs. As people have noted they do have a steep learning curve. Adobe’s Lightroom on the other hand is directly aimed at the needs of photographers. One cannot change the individual pixels in an image, but the global controls for exposure, color, clarity, cropping and a bunch more are simple and straight forward. Lightroom has “adjustment brushes” for more precise adjustments. Perhaps most important, its library function is (IMHO) one of the best photo organizers around.

Lightroom is comparatively pricey at about $300.00. But, again IMHO is well worth it, and ought to be considered by a person who is primarily a photographer but wants to get the most out of their photos.

Larry

+ Lightroom user here also.

I have got Aperture 3, it was cheap via the app store at the time a got it. Just playing around with it at the moment. So far still prefer Lightroom.

Lightroom 4 should be out soon, so will be even more features.

I also have my Lightroom linked to Photoshop, but not really used much. Most alterations can be done in Lightroom itself.

In the UK, some times they give a discount on Lightroom for a set period. That's the time to buy :)

Andrew

If you get one of the commercially available programs like photoshop or photoshop elements, I would recommend getting a monthly subscription to lynda dot com. There are many classes on both products that you can take. I think monthly, no contract, it is $30 a month. Within a month you would have a decent grasp of other program if you follow along with the lessons.

I love Lightroom as well (2.0). I have several free downloaded presets that are wonderful. There's a lot of things you can do in Lightroom and I find it very easy to use as well. I also have PS 5. I've noticed after getting Lightroom last year, I do most of my processing there and then take it to PS to finish it off.

I started out trying the GIMP, which I foolishly purchased on ebay before I found out that you could get it for free. I found it hard to understand as well, but they did provide me with several step by step directions.

As far as learning any program...the best advice I can offer is JOIN A PHOTOGRAPHY forum!!! It helped me tremendously! The expert advice was wonderful in helping me learn how things worked and not only teaching me how to use the tools, but improving the skills in photography as well. I had also joined a photoshop online forum that was amazing. They could take just about any picture and do something with it (or start from scratch). They gave step by step instructions on how to create certain things. Say you wanted to take a picture you have and replace the head on a body, move them, make their clothes a different color...whatever, they gave a step by step instruction as to how to do it. I spent months and months reading each example and trying each thing out. It was a lot of fun and helped me learn what each item does. :) Photoshop can do some amazing things.

Archived