Photoshop

Roadtripster

Need any and all advice.

I know NOTHING about photoshop, but really need/want to get it and learn it.

Where do I begin? I see different versions. Any certain one best for a beginner? Clueless here.

I just have my basic photos that I want to jazz up a bit. Not even quite sure what all photoshop can do.

Thanks for helping.

If you're starting out, you should probably consider the simplified Photoshop program called Elements 7. It can still to all kinds of very fancy things, far beyond basic editing, but strips out some of the heavy publishing-standard type features and super-advanced functions. And it's a whole lot cheaper.

Another alternative to consider is a program called Paint Shop Pro. It is a very similar program to Photoshop, quite popular, and actually comes very close to the functionality of the full version of Photoshop, but at the Elements price. Many feel that the interface and control layout is a little more user friendly for beginners, yet the program itself is feature packed.

Either of these two can be had for around $40, or a little less, and will be capable of simple touchups to much more advanced raster layer editing and processing with hundreds of tools, and hundreds more plugins and other programs compatible with them, that can take you far beyond the basics. Really no need to pop for the multi-hundred dollar versions unless you need CMYK support for publishing and professional use.

BTW - both Photoshop Elements and Paint Shop Pro can use the same plug-in programs from other manufacturers that are developed for Photoshop. So you can add noise reduction programs, HDR programs, panorama stiching programs, and tone-mapping programs that will all function within either system as a plug-in.

Wow, that has helped alot. Thanks.

Never heard of the Paint Shop Pro. I will check into that too.

I was wondering about the price and actually is alot less than I thought. That is always a good thing. Guess I am off to the store one of these days and check it out. Better get a beginners book too huh?

Need any and all advice.

Where do I begin? I see different versions. Any certain one best for a beginner? Clueless here.

I just have my basic photos that I want to jazz up a bit. Not even quite sure what all photoshop can do.

Thanks for helping.

For simply editing I find picasa is pretty good and free too!. I actually end up using it for 95% of all my edits. When it doesn't work Photoshop Elements is the next step up. You get probably 90% of the capability of photoshop at 1/5 the price. With that capability comes a lot of complexity. Worth it for people who really want to do a lot of post processing, merging, cloning or other special effects. I wouldn't recommend photoshop to anyone unless they want to really get into photo MANIPULATION or would have gotten a darkroom in the film days. It is both very expensive and complex to use.

If all you want to do is tweek contrast, brightness, cropping, Picasa can do most of it.

Happy editing

Wow, that has helped alot. Thanks.

Never heard of the Paint Shop Pro. I will check into that too.

I was wondering about the price and actually is alot less than I thought. That is always a good thing. Guess I am off to the store one of these days and check it out. Better get a beginners book too huh?

Prices have come down the past few years...they're pretty reasonable where they are now, considering how much they can do.'

as for what you can do with them, a book might certainly help. Also, check out Adobe's or Corel's websites for online forums and help guides for either PS or PSP (as the two formats are commonly initialed). Certainly as mentioned above, Picasa and other free editors allow the very basic stuff...but I'd say you don't really have to be into serious heavy manipulation to still get some nice worth out of PS or PSP. For example, they both work very well in recovering underexposed photos that are beyond simple contrast tweaks like those in Picasa. Or in layering, for example if you wanted to replace the sky in a photo.

Of course they can get much more advanced, with some nice fun effects, artistic pursuits, or heavy-duty photo manipulation or processing, like cloning out a person that you don't want in a shot, or changing the color of a car or shirt. My signature below will give you some idea of the layering process (I use PSP8)...the background is a photo of my hometown of Boca Raton taken at night, with a shot of the Celebrity ship taken in St. Thomas layered over the top of it, then my name in blue Disney script layered over that, and my list of cruises in yellow layered over THAT. It's basically 4 different photos on 'transparency' layers sitting one on top of the other.

Since we're discussing Photoshop and Elements 7 here, any thoughts on Nikon's Capture NX2? I have a trial version and am considering purchasing the full version, but would like to hear from the experts on this board especially as compared to other similiar programs.

Thank you in advance.

Never used Capture NX myself but it's best for Nikon users that shoot raw as it preserves in-camera settings like white balance, saturation, sharpening, etc. This gives you a good starting point when editing a raw photo. I've read that Nikon users feel Capture NX does a better job "developing" Nikon raw images than Adobe Camera Raw.

Of course they can get much more advanced, with some nice fun effects, artistic pursuits, or heavy-duty photo manipulation or processing, like cloning out a person that you don't want in a shot, or changing the color of a car or shirt. My signature below will give you some idea of the layering process (I use PSP8)...the background is a photo of my hometown of Boca Raton taken at night, with a shot of the Celebrity ship taken in St. Thomas layered over the top of it, then my name in blue Disney script layered over that, and my list of cruises in yellow layered over THAT. It's basically 4 different photos on 'transparency' layers sitting one on top of the other.

I would love to be able to do something like your signature photo. That is something I would be really interested in doing. Is it hard to learn?

Since we're discussing Photoshop and Elements 7 here, any thoughts on Nikon's Capture NX2? I have a trial version and am considering purchasing the full version, but would like to hear from the experts on this board especially as compared to other similiar programs.

Thank you in advance.

This is an "opinion" ;) The only reason anyone should be thinking about buying the Nikon software is if you are a total puriest and must shoot raw and must have the very very best raw converter. NX2 does appear to tease the most detail, dynamic range out of nikon raw then the other converters. Disclaimer, my only experience with Capture is the free one that came with my D700 and after doing a few experiments converting raw I came to the conclusion that JPG was good enough. My assessment of NX2 qualit comes from very close examination of the results from DPpreview during their reviews of the various Nikon cameras; D300, D700, D3 :D and some threads debating the merits of converters in nikoncafe and dppreview. I find the interface far more clumsy then the already complex photoshop. It is a wonder that Nikon engineers can make the best ergo dSLR on earth but have no clue to making a intuitive easy to use software like them apple folks...

I would love to be able to do something like your signature photo. That is something I would be really interested in doing. Is it hard to learn?

I don't think it's very hard to learn, actually. If you read any books about using PSP or PS, or went to the online help guides, likely one of the first 'advanced' function they would teach you beyond the simple color/contrast/saturation adjustments would be how to make and use layers. They're very easy to make, but getting used to the little layers box at the bottom of the screen which is where you can adjust them, make them more see-through, or change how they blend together, would be the only part you would likely need some basic lessons on.

As a newbie to PSP8 many years ago, I had the program about 2 months using the simple adjustments before I found a quick tutorial on making layers...I was able to do them myself within a few hours, and really got comfortable with them in a week or two.

• 2 years later...
Need any and all advice.

Thanks for helping.

Don't reach for that credit card just yet. Try GIMP. It's a free image-editing program. And it has an impressive set of tools. It can handle nearly any editing task.

Like Photoshop, GIMP is complex. It has a steep learning curve. In fact, it may be too much for a beginner. But if you've found other programs lacking, this is what you want.

Cost: Free

Link: www.gimp.org

Don't reach for that credit card just yet. Try GIMP. It's a free image-editing program. And it has an impressive set of tools. It can handle nearly any editing task.

Like Photoshop, GIMP is complex. It has a steep learning curve. In fact, it may be too much for a beginner. But if you've found other programs lacking, this is what you want.

Cost: Free

Link: www.gimp.org

Free? Yes!

However, you're right about the learning curve. I have used it at work sites where the management wouldn't pop for an editor and I needed something to work with. I agree that it has power, but it is offset by an interface seemingly designed by committee.

Oddly, it may actually be worse for a seasoned PS user than a beginner. It seems like the public licence developers made a great effort not to copy processes and visuals that may be construed as a copyright infringement, hence the commands and operations are just different enough to make it seem "wrong". If you never used a photo editor before, the process may become "right" sooner without having to un-learn PS.

As for it being "free"...I would guess that for most people who value their time at at least minimum wage, they'll come out money ahead just buying PS Elements and perusing the built-in and YouTube tutorials to get up and running. :)

JMHO

Dave

If you're starting out, you should probably consider the simplified Photoshop program called Elements 7. It can still to all kinds of very fancy things, far beyond basic editing, but strips out some of the heavy publishing-standard type features and super-advanced functions. And it's a whole lot cheaper.

Another alternative to consider is a program called Paint Shop Pro. It is a very similar program to Photoshop, quite popular, and actually comes very close to the functionality of the full version of Photoshop, but at the Elements price. Many feel that the interface and control layout is a little more user friendly for beginners, yet the program itself is feature packed.

Either of these two can be had for around $40, or a little less, and will be capable of simple touchups to much more advanced raster layer editing and processing with hundreds of tools, and hundreds more plugins and other programs compatible with them, that can take you far beyond the basics. Really no need to pop for the multi-hundred dollar versions unless you need CMYK support for publishing and professional use.

BTW - both Photoshop Elements and Paint Shop Pro can use the same plug-in programs from other manufacturers that are developed for Photoshop. So you can add noise reduction programs, HDR programs, panorama stiching programs, and tone-mapping programs that will all function within either system as a plug-in.

Based on your admitted lack of experience, I totally agree with the Photoshop Elements recommendation. It has at least 75% of the power of the full Photoshop at less than 1/4 of the price. However, they are now up to Elements 10.

See the link to the Amazon page for Elements 10

http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-65136385-Photoshop-Elements-10/product-reviews/B005MMMT6E/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Hope this helps.

DON

I have been thinking about this and another thread involving Photoshop where the OP wonders about the possibility of using the software to change a person’s eyes in a photo. Photoshop, currently “Creative Suite 5” and its scaled down cousins “Elements” are very powerful sets of software. In essence, they are pixel editing graphic design programs. As people have noted they do have a steep learning curve. Adobe’s Lightroom on the other hand is directly aimed at the needs of photographers. One cannot change the individual pixels in an image, but the global controls for exposure, color, clarity, cropping and a bunch more are simple and straight forward. Lightroom has “adjustment brushes” for more precise adjustments. Perhaps most important, its library function is (IMHO) one of the best photo organizers around.

Lightroom is comparatively pricey at about $300.00. But, again IMHO is well worth it, and ought to be considered by a person who is primarily a photographer but wants to get the most out of their photos.

Larry

I have been thinking about this and another thread involving Photoshop where the OP wonders about the possibility of using the software to change a person’s eyes in a photo. Photoshop, currently “Creative Suite 5” and its scaled down cousins “Elements” are very powerful sets of software. In essence, they are pixel editing graphic design programs. As people have noted they do have a steep learning curve. Adobe’s Lightroom on the other hand is directly aimed at the needs of photographers. One cannot change the individual pixels in an image, but the global controls for exposure, color, clarity, cropping and a bunch more are simple and straight forward. Lightroom has “adjustment brushes” for more precise adjustments. Perhaps most important, its library function is (IMHO) one of the best photo organizers around.

Lightroom is comparatively pricey at about $300.00. But, again IMHO is well worth it, and ought to be considered by a person who is primarily a photographer but wants to get the most out of their photos.

Larry

I've been giving it a look recently. It seems like it is designed to tag, organize and add commentary to images. It also has non-destructive editing tools to do light re-touch and re-size for emails and web posts. It creates slide shows and offers tools for laying out images for printing locally or online. The direct integration with online services would be helpful to some people as well. I have a real interest in Lightroom but the $300 difference in price between it and Picasa (which fills all those needs for me now) leaves me wondering if it is really that much better. The website says it has tight integration with CS5, but what if I use Elements (which also includes an organization, slide-show creator and some other similar functions)? In Picasa, I can right-click on an image and launch it jn Elements. I assume you are not limited to only editing in CS but can choose another editing link?

The occasional price drop to $150 on an Amazon deal of the day would lessen the impact, so I will download the trial and bash about in it for a while to find out for myself if it is "better enough".

Comments from you on the above would be appreciated as well.

Dave

225099]...so I will download the trial and bash about in it for a while to find out for myself if it is "better enough"....

Hmm... so far, so good!

A quick impression caveat: Understanding editing tools (ie Elements and/or CS, their effects and terminology will be a valuable prerequisite. Not entirely necessary, but it will shorten the learning curve.

Maybe not the best choice for a beginner, but so far, it looks pretty good.

Dave

Lightroom sometimes goes on sale in the Nov-Dec time frame, so keep an eye out for it. I bought it last Nov for $150. $300 was a bit too much for me, but for $150, I made the jump.

pierces; I can start Nikon Capture NX2 within Lightroom, so I am sure you can do it with elements. I use Lightroom most of the time, but occasionally use Capture NX2 as it has some Nikon lens definitions and other presets that Lightroom does not have.

The one thing I do dislike about Lightroom is having to import into a catalog before editing a photo. I would much rather prefer to simply open a photo and edit it without having to import it. But Lightroom is a combo library and editor, not just an editor. Still, the editing function is very powerful - enough that it has made me use a catalog.

Dave, the "preferences" set up in Lightroom easily allows one to set the external editor of your choice. With CS5, when you save an edited image, recommended format is PSD, then the edited image appears back in your Lightroom catalog along side of the original image. I suspect that would work with any editor once it is set in the preferences.

Larry

pierces; I can start Nikon Capture NX2 within Lightroom, so I am sure you can do it with elements. I use Lightroom most of the time, but occasionally use Capture NX2 as it has some Nikon lens definitions and other presets that Lightroom does not have.

It found Elements 9 when I installed the trial and found where allows you to configure others as needed.

The Blurb plug-in looks like a deal-maker to me with a wedding coming up!

Dave

Is there much difference between Picasa, Photo Shop Elements, and Windows Live Gallery? WLG came with my computer, so I have been using that.

Elements Organizer and Picasa are pretty similar in their functions. Elements Editor (the other half of Elements) is much more powerful than the quick-edit tools in Picasa but Picasa is a better organizer. I've never used Windows Live Gallery.

Dave

Archived