Our Jewel T/A - Blarney Stones, Sour Whale Blubber; did I Mention Irish Whiskey?

SailorJack

We thoroughly enjoyed this review. You don't need the Blarney Stone. We are on the Jewel TA September 2010 and are wondering...are there opportunities to pick up local tours in Cobn without booking through the ship. Thanks.

Sorry to take so long in responding...our next cruise is on Princess so I have been spending time on their board.

To answer your question, yes there are local tours in Cobn. The best one is eCoach as they specialize in providing tours to people off of cruise ships. Their prices are also very reasonable.

I'm sure there are others, but the one I am familiar with is eCoach.

Have a great cruise!

We thoroughly enjoyed this review. You don't need the Blarney Stone. We are on the Jewel TA September 2010 and are wondering...are there opportunities to pick up local tours in Cobn without booking through the ship. Thanks.

You can also check butlersbuses.com. We used them for our own tour last September and we were able to go where we wanted and see what we specifically wanted to see. We went to Blarney Woolen Mills, visited St. Finn Barr's church in Cork, and had lunch in Kinsale. Our driver was a great tour guide. The fee for our party of the eight of us was much more reasonable than the cost of the ship's tour.:)

No RCI tours booked yet, but we are considering doing a repeat of the Jewel t/a next year and are also looking at a cruise on the Explorer of teh Seas in January...but nothing definite yet.

Hello SailorJack - Well! Have you decided? - Are you doing a repeat of the Jewel in September this year? - It would be nice to have you aboard ;)

Hello SailorJack - Well! Have you decided? - Are you doing a repeat of the Jewel in September this year? - It would be nice to have you aboard ;)

Hi! The Explorer trip didn't happen...we booked the Princess Star instead. It is the ship that was delayed in Valpariso by the earthquake in Chile, but it is back on schedule and we are going to pick it up in Rio.

The Jewel is still on our list, but to far out to confirm yet. As I may have mentioned before, we normally don't book a cruise until 30-60 days before sailing.

If we take the Jewel we will post on the roll call.

Edited by SailorJack

• 4 weeks later...
Hi! The Explorer trip didn't happen...we booked the Princess Star instead. It is the ship that was delayed in Valpariso by the earthquake in Chile, but it is back on schedule and we are going to pick it up in Rio.

Did you ever write a review of the Star?

My roots are in Ireland & until i read your description of the Blarney stone I thought at some point I'd have to make my way there to check it out, now I think i'll take a pass.

We went their on our TA last year and had a blast. None of my family walked to the castle so I, as a stout individual, was worried I wouldn't be able to make it to the top.

I fit fine although it was a little touch and go for a bit. I kissed the stone and made my way back down.

My pic on my sig line is me at the woolen mills at the base of the castle.

It makes for a lovely outting

Jack-you have got to be the funniest guy I've ever read on CC.

I have GOT to go cruising with you and Sailor Jill some day.

We fellow Canadian expats gotta stick together eh

Stompy..if that picture is accurate, I will do my best to be elsewhere:D:D

Edited by SailorJack

I laughed so hard I kinda wet myself. Now, at almost 50 that is not exactly an uncommon occurrence, but still...

Shudder! Your description of some of the food is one reason I ALWAYS carry a tote bag full of Power Bars, Goldfish crackers, raw almonds, etc. Sure, I look like a short, skinny vending machine with a tattoo but I never go anywhere without my snack bag.

I look forward to further mischievious missives. Well done, SailorJack.

Edited by Bookish Angel
spelling

How difficult is it to take the train from London to Harwich? Do you take a cab from airport to train station? Thanks!

It is very easy! You can buy the ticket right at the airport for both the express train to the train station and then the train to Harwich.

The only tricky part - at least for the train we took - was getting on the right car at the train station. The first three cars were for Harwich and the last three cars were for somewhere else. About halfway to Harwich the last three cars are disconneted from the train and attached to another train. Sounds complicated, but we simply asked the conductor which were the cars to Harwich and he pointed them out.

PS. Just to clear up the first part - no need to take an expensive cab. You can do it all by train.

Edited by SailorJack

• 1 month later...
DYNAIRE

Step 1. Fyndeth sum kut of olde tuffe meate

Step 2 Boileth til aul flavour hath byn kilt

Step 3. Serveth wyth sum kynde o rawe mashed roote – lyke tournipe, or paersnipe

Okay Jack, NOW you owe me a computer screen cleaning.

I have three estimates from SCRUMS (Screen Cleaning and Rugby Union of the Mid-Atlantic States) and I'll pick the lowest one (which is quoted in Irish £ ).

If I address it to Sailor Jack, Atlanta it should get to you. There can't be that many BC emigrees running around down there.

In the alternative, I'll settle for a picture of Sailor Jill in one of those fantasy outfits she wears on the cruises. She'll go right next to Dusty in my Galleries.

By the way, in case you didn't know, going into a local bar and yelling "Hey, General Sherman was a helluva guy" will give you some new land based stories to write about.

Edited by JohnGaltny

Okay Jack, NOW you owe me a computer screen cleaning.

I have three estimates from SCRUMS (Screen Cleaning and Rugby Union of the Mid-Atlantic States) and I'll pick the lowest one (which is quoted in Irish £ ).

If I address it to Sailor Jack, Atlanta it should get to you. There can't be that many BC emigrees running around down there.

In the alternative, I'll settle for a picture of Sailor Jill in one of those fantasy outfits she wears on the cruises. She'll go right next to Dusty in my Galleries.

"By the way, in case you didn't know, going into a local bar and yelling "Hey, General Sherman was a helluva guy" will give you some new land based stories to write about."quote]

John:

I am trying to learn how to post pictures, but so far I am only getting thumbnails. When I succeed I wil post a picture of SailorJill.

By the way, in case you didn't know, going into a local bar and yelling "Hey, General Sherman was a helluva guy" will give you some new land based stories to write about. :D:D:D

PS. I looked at Dusty's gallery - she is very photogenic!

Edited by SailorJack

John:

I am trying to learn how to post pictures, but so far I am only getting thumbnails. When I succeed I wil post a picture of SailorJill.

Jack

(1) Go to the image you want to post (wherever it is online), go up to the URL and copy it.

(2) Come into your reply here and here's the syntax:

i].jpg

Just remember to add the .jpg at the end of the url and there you go.

Now I'm waiting with bated (or at least smelly) breath.

Jack

(1) Go to the image you want to post (wherever it is online), go up to the URL and copy it.

i].jpg

That's the rub:eek: I am working on figuring out how to post the pictures online. I downloaded Picassa last night and now am trying to figure out how to create an online album. I'll bookmark your instructions and use them after I figure out Picassa:D

SailorJill is actually the computer wiz in our house so, as much as it will gall me, I may have to ask for her help.:D:D

Ive laughed, Ive cried, I snorted. I have been to Northern Ireland and also to the Republic of Ireland. I laughed at your review of differnt names. I love your reviews they are helerious. My cat opened one eye from a deep sleep looked at me like "Silly mama" and rolled back over lol.

Adri

• 5 weeks later...

Jack

i].jpg

I appreciate your help, but I am apparently somewhat computer challenged!:eek: I have finally succeeded in setting up an album on Webshots, but for the life of me I cannot find the image url.jpg. Where do I look. Thanks.

Jack,

Go to the shot you want to post.

2975484770072705681S500x500Q85.jpg

2755711320072705681S500x500Q85.jpg

DON'T FORGET TO SELECT 500 or 600 BEFORE YOU COPY THE CODE.

Right click on the code shown above and click on "Copy"

Once you have the code copied, come back to this thread. Wherever you want to place the image RIGHT CLICK and then click "Paste".

The image will be there when you preview the post (hopefully).

By the way, anyone can also go to your webshots gallery from here by clicking on the image itself.

Edited by JohnGaltny

Jack,

Go to the shot you want to post.

2975484770072705681S500x500Q85.jpg

2755711320072705681S500x500Q85.jpg

DON'T FORGET TO SELECT 500 or 600 BEFORE YOU COPY THE CODE.

Right click on the code shown above and click on "Copy"

Once you have the code copied, come back to this thread. Wherever you want to place the image RIGHT CLICK and then click "Paste".

The image will be there when you preview the post (hopefully).

By the way, anyone can also go to your webshots gallery from here by clicking on the image itself.

Thanks again. I may be doing something wrong it setting up webshots because I can't get the screen "post this photo" to come up. I will reload webshots and see if I can get to it.

Thanks again...I appreciate your response.

• 1 year later...