Need expertise regarding an ES question

sheltielover256

What am I doing wrong?

This spring I booked 3 4G cabins on the Panorama deck(actual rooms, not guarantee) for 7 people on the Freedom for the 11/21/2009 Thanksgiving cruise. I paid $564/pp (less for the 3rd person in one room, but that isn't relevant to this question).

About two weeks ago I noticed that the past guest rate for a 4A was $549 with a free upgrade to 4G. We are all past guests so we qualify for the past guest discount. I sent in a request for an adjustment for two of the cabins. (There are no three person 4Gs left, so I realize that I can't get an adjustment for that room.)

Since I got no response, I re-submitted early this week and have still heard nothing from Carnival even though the form states that we will hear something within 48 hours.

Are we not eligible for the lower price since it is a 4A price with an upgrade to 4G? When we booked early saver, it stated that if we found the identical room for less money we would be entitled to an adjustment. I can now purchase a room on the Panorama deck for $549/pp, so shouldn't I get the lower rate? I know its not much (only $60 total), but it will bother me that a lower rate was offered, yet I couldn't get it even though I booked ES.

I'm sure this question has been asked a million times, but a search doesn't clear it up for me.

Thanks in advance for your expertise.

I may be mistaken, but I don't think the "free" upgrade to 4G matters in any way.

You "Purchased" 4G. The new rate is for a 4A

For ES to work you have to compare 4G to 4G

I see your argument, but I don't think it applies.

What am I doing wrong?

This spring I booked 3 4G cabins on the Panorama deck(actual rooms, not guarantee) for 7 people on the Freedom for the 11/21/2009 Thanksgiving cruise. I paid $564/pp (less for the 3rd person in one room, but that isn't relevant to this question).

About two weeks ago I noticed that the past guest rate for a 4A was $549 with a free upgrade to 4G. We are all past guests so we qualify for the past guest discount. I sent in a request for an adjustment for two of the cabins. (There are no three person 4Gs left, so I realize that I can't get an adjustment for that room.)

Since I got no response, I re-submitted early this week and have still heard nothing from Carnival even though the form states that we will hear something within 48 hours.

Are we not eligible for the lower price since it is a 4A price with an upgrade to 4G? When we booked early saver, it stated that if we found the identical room for less money we would be entitled to an adjustment. I can now purchase a room on the Panorama deck for $549/pp, so shouldn't I get the lower rate? I know its not much (only $60 total), but it will bother me that a lower rate was offered, yet I couldn't get it even though I booked ES.

I'm sure this question has been asked a million times, but a search doesn't clear it up for me.

If I were you I would check the small print and see if it doesn't say "new bookings only".

That's how they can get you and not offer anything to compensate you. :mad: However, if you are persistent enough, thre's a possibility that they will give you a little OBC, but don't count on it. If you booked with a travel agent, call them and see if they can do anything, or bother Carnival and bust their chops until they come up with something. ;)

What am I doing wrong?

The rules for ES price reductions says it must be YOUR cabin category only....

• What is the price protection assurance feature?

If, after booking, you find a lower Carnival advertised fare, Carnival will honor it, issuing the difference in the form of a non-refundable onboard credit. The lower fare must be: i) for the same ship, sailing, stateroom category and number of guests; ii) available for booking at the time you submit your request for the lower rate; and iii) a rate you are eligible to receive, if special restrictions apply. Price protection will be subject to the prevailing fees and/or fuel supplement if applicable.

I can't figure out how to quote!

Its good to know that Carnival will respond one way or the other -- I will re-submit in 4-5 days if I don't hear back. I don't think its a "new bookings only" rate, but would that matter since I booked ES?

Yes, I can see the argument that Carnival could make (the $549 price for a 4G doesn't count because its a 4A rate with an upgrade to a 4G), but I read the conditions for ES and it says if I find a lower rate, then I'm entitled to an adjustment. As a past guest, I can now book the same rooms for $549/pp -- that is a lower rate than the $564 that I paid. (The irony is that I am a contract attorney and I can see all the different ways that this ES rate can be interpreted. Kudos to the Carnival lawyers!)

Although I won't loose much sleep over $60, my argument seems straight forward.

Thanks for the responses!

On our last cruise, I booked ES. I booked a 6A and when prices when down, I was able to upgrade to a 6B. If I remember correctly, the "upgrade" had to be on the same deck. So I went from a 6A Riviera Aft to a 6B Riviera Midship.

Within a month or two of our cruise, I saw that same type of sale - 6A to a 6D for a certain price. When I called my PVP, I did not qualify because the price was for a 6A and I was already in a 6B.

Also, it doesn't matter if its for "new bookings only" or not. If you book ES and if they are advertising a lower price for the same ship, same cabin category and same number of persons, you should qualify for an OBC.

Thanks again. I will update. Since its a fairly insignificant amount of money, I'm not sure how hard I'll push it, but I'll post here when I get a response one way or the other.

Just to distinguish a bit from Raybowz -- my situation differs a bit. I paid for the 4G (the highest inside) and now rooms on this level are available for less than I paid. If I had bought the 4A, I think it would be more straight-forward because I could request the upgrade. Incidentally, I would have bought the 4A (Since I'm paying for seven people, price is very important), but at the time there weren't three contiguous cabins (travelling with minors) available on the lower levels. Seem to be plenty now-- don't know why.

OK -- where's the quote button?

If there are no 3 person cabins left, they wouldnt give you a price adjustment, because they need to determine the total price, including the 3rd person is down.

You say well just ignore the 3rd person fare, and compare to a 2 person cabin, but that isnt how it works. You have to compare to the same type cabin. a triple.

The rules for ES price reductions says it must be YOUR cabin category only....

• What is the price protection assurance feature?

If' date=' after booking, you find a lower Carnival advertised fare, Carnival will honor it, issuing the difference in the form of a non-refundable onboard credit. The lower fare must be: i) for the same ship, sailing, stateroom category and number of guests; ii) available for booking at the time you submit your request for the lower rate; and iii) a rate you are eligible to receive, if special restrictions apply. Price protection will be subject to the prevailing fees and/or fuel supplement if applicable.

I see you already correctly responded to the problem. the OP says there are no triples left, hence there are no staterooms left to compare with, so no she wouldnt get a match.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. I purchased three cabins. Two for two people. One for three people. I did not request a match for the three person cabin.

I only requested a match for the two person cabins. I am not trying to get a match for the two people in the three person cabin.

I kind of thought that this would cause confusion and I should have left out the entire part about the three person cabin.

Sorry for confusion.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. I purchased three cabins. Two for two people. One for three people. I did not request a match for the three person cabin.

I only requested a match for the two person cabins. I am not trying to get a match for the two people in the three person cabin.

I kind of thought that this would cause confusion and I should have left out the entire part about the three person cabin.

Sorry for confusion.

OK, sorry, then seems to me you should get it.

(The irony is that I am a contract attorney and I can see all the different ways that this ES rate can be interpreted. Kudos to the Carnival lawyers!)

:eek:

That is too funny.

It's scary to think that a contract lawyer came to us knuckleheads for help to try to figure this out.

:D

That is too funny.

It's scary to think that a contract lawyer came to us knuckleheads for help to try to figure this out.

I know, right? Actually, I am so used to parsing contract terms that I get lost in the trees. Sometimes a "real" person can look at the same phrase and its crystal clear to him or her because they aren't looking for hidden meaning or escape clauses...

Firefly, after I re-read my response, it looked as if I was yelling at you, which I wasn't! I was frustrated with myself for my tendency to add far more details than necessary.

I may be mistaken, but I don't think the "free" upgrade to 4G matters in any way.

You "Purchased" 4G. The new rate is for a 4A

For ES to work you have to compare 4G to 4G

I see your argument, but I don't think it applies.

That isn't correct. I have gotten the credit under identical circumstances on previous cruises, as well as the one I have currently booked. The OP shouldn't have any problem with getting the credit.

Just make sure the details are spelled out in the request.

That isn't correct. I have gotten the credit under identical circumstances on previous cruises, as well as the one I have currently booked. The OP shouldn't have any problem with getting the credit.

Just make sure the details are spelled out in the request.

Thanks Hotjavalex -- at least I know that I'm not totally out of line. I do see klfrodo's point and its reasonable, but it seems to me that since the identical room can be purchased for less money, I should receive the lower price. That appears to be the point of the ES program and I have no doubt that Carnival would be quick to enforce its rights against me!

I will submit again and make sure that details are spelled out in my request (and I'll try not to ramble...)

I refuse to worry too much about this though as this will be my only vacation for quite awhile and I will not get hung up on $60! (I keep telling myself this...)

Come back and let us know the outcome!!

Carnival came through and I got a $140 credit because the price had dropped even more!

Heads up. Carnival was not receiving complete Early Saver forms from me -- no booking number or cruise dates. Yes, I filled in all the blanks, so I can only assume that a firewall or some other glitch caused problems. Therefore, I recommend that you include the booking information in the comment section as well, because when I did that, I got the reduction.

Now a question: I checked on my booking info and it is showing the lower price but I cannot see an indication of an on board credit. I remember a post about somebody who never got the promised credit, so I want to make sure that I stay on top of this. How do I check to ensure that I have an OBC?

That is too funny.

LOL>> I thought the same thing haha

Sheltie that is great that you got the credit, and good that you let others know their forms may not get through

correctly. A friend of mine is a paralegal in a large law office and their "IT" person has somehow shut off the Carnival

website to them so she had problems when trying to do things there at work LOL

I do think some of the posters here might qualify as "paralegals" or attorneys when it comes to cruise docs, prices, fares etc...Firefly is an ES expert from what I see <grin>

Glad it worked out for you

Therefore, I recommend that you include the booking information in the comment section as well, because when I did that, I got the reduction.

Good to know this advice.

I am glad to see that Carnival gave you the price reduction! What a great feeling.

Carnival came through and I got a $140 credit because the price had dropped even more!

Heads up. Carnival was not receiving complete Early Saver forms from me -- no booking number or cruise dates. Yes, I filled in all the blanks, so I can only assume that a firewall or some other glitch caused problems. Therefore, I recommend that you include the booking information in the comment section as well, because when I did that, I got the reduction.

Now a question: I checked on my booking info and it is showing the lower price but I cannot see an indication of an on board credit. I remember a post about somebody who never got the promised credit, so I want to make sure that I stay on top of this. How do I check to ensure that I have an OBC?

Hi Sheltie! I had onboard credit on my last cruise! It is on my final documents on the last page, (not counting the luggage tags). Not sure how long it took for it to show up on "My Documents". So just keep checking Your Documents, and after a few days maybe call and check again!

Also you didn't say how you booked! Just for anyone who might want to advise you more! Did you book through A Carnival Personal Vacation Planner, or a Travel Agent, or did you do it online yourself? I was just wondering! I am really glad you got the lower rates! One more question! Your cruise was paid up in full wasn't it? If not it would have probably come off your total bill instead of Onboard Credit! I hope this helped you some!

Happy Cruising All! Rick

Archived