Is tipping expected if service is not used?

STELYN

We are sailing on the majesty of the seas next week and do not intend to eat in the main dining room at all.

We will instead be eating in the windjammer cafe at our convenience.

Are we still expected to tip the waiter $3.50, the assistant waiter $2.00 and the head waiter $.75 per person per day?

The last time we sailed Royal we went out of LA, and wished our dining time was earlier becase of the time differences, anyway because of this we did eat and really enjoyed the buffet in the Windjammer all week, suprisingly the staff was so awesome they always knew who we were, brought us what we drank to our table without any requests, I was stunned by there attentiveness and my wife and I tipped 3 of the employees $30 a piece for there effort and enjoyment during our cruise.

We are sailing on the majesty of the seas next week and do not intend to eat in the main dining room at all.

Are we still expected to tip the waiter $3.50, the assistant waiter $2.00 and the head waiter $.75 per person per day?

Hi! Hope you have a great cruise! I also am saying that yes, you would still tip. The easiest way for ME to think about it is - you are tipping the server, not the venue. That means two things (to me:)):

1. They rotate around into all venues to serve you for the duration of your cruise.

2. The tipping guidelines you listed are per DAY, not just dinner. They include breakfast, lunch, snacks, and dinner.

Hope that was helpful! :D

The last time we sailed Royal we went out of LA, and wished our dining time was earlier becase of the time differences, anyway because of this we did eat and really enjoyed the buffet in the Windjammer all week, suprisingly the staff was so awesome they always knew who we were, brought us what we drank to our table without any requests, I was stunned by there attentiveness and my wife and I tipped 3 of the employees $30 a piece for there effort and enjoyment during our cruise.

We also use the Windjammer for all of our meals including dinner. In the evening we always sit in the same area and have the same staff taking care of us. We have found the attentiveness of the staff in there to be far better then on some of our sailings when we used to use the dining room.

At the end of the cruise we tip the staff in the Windjammer that took care of us as you did. I don't go to the dining room looking for people that I never set eyes on to give them a tip. There are some who will not agree with how I do it and that is fine. I gladly take care of the people who took care of me and my family and at the end of the week I leave the ship feeling quite comfortable with myself as to how I demonstrated my thanks to them.

DS and I will be on Monarch in December and have decided to make it a casual cruise and plan to avoid the MDR. To make it fair for all involved I chose MTD so the tips are paid, the wait staff assigned to me in the main dining room is not stiffed because I chose to dine elsewhere, and we don't have to take tablemates into consideration.

I think this is the most fair way to handle it when choosing to use alternative dining venues.

Hi! Hope you have a great cruise! I also am saying that yes, you would still tip. The easiest way for ME to think about it is - you are tipping the server, not the venue. That means two things (to me:)):

1. They rotate around into all venues to serve you for the duration of your cruise.

2. The tipping guidelines you listed are per DAY, not just dinner. They include breakfast, lunch, snacks, and dinner.

Hope that was helpful! :D

Here is another way to look at it. Even though tips include all three meals we all, traditionally, are expected to tip the folks that serve us at out evening meal. If we all take care of our evening servers, whether it be in the dining room or Windjammer, everyone will be taken care of. Remember that the staff assigned to dinner in the Windjammer are there for the entire week. Just as passengers in the dining room have the same staff each evening those of us in the Windjammer have the same.

Yes, of course, unless you don't plan to eat at all, anywhere on the ship. In that case you might be able to skip out without the tips.

RCI has a system all worked out (despite the fact that people constantly try to rework it for their own benefit or based on thier own ideas) which is fair for everyone. No where does it say that you should tip UNLESS ...

I guess what I'm trying to say is if you tip as recommended it is fair for everyone involved. If you decide to do it your own way, despite your good intentions, you are screwing over someone, whether you realize it or not.

We also use the Windjammer for all of our meals including dinner. In the evening we always sit in the same area and have the same staff taking care of us. We have found the attentiveness of the staff in there to be far better then on some of our sailings when we used to use the dining room.

At the end of the cruise we tip the staff in the Windjammer that took care of us as you did. I don't go to the dining room looking for people that I never set eyes on to give them a tip. There are some who will not agree with how I do it and that is fine. I gladly take care of the people who took care of me and my family and at the end of the week I leave the ship feeling quite comfortable with myself as to how I demonstrated my thanks to them.

I quite agree with you. We always take care of those who take care of us.

This is what we do also if we don't eat in the MDR at all.

Here is another way to look at it. Even though tips include all three meals we all, traditionally, are expected to tip the folks that serve us at out evening meal. If we all take care of our evening servers, whether it be in the dining room or Windjammer, everyone will be taken care of. Remember that the staff assigned to dinner in the Windjammer are there for the entire week. Just as passengers in the dining room have the same staff each evening those of us in the Windjammer have the same.

Actually, our assistant waiter was serving in the Windjammer on our cruise. Also, we saw a girl from the Seaview cafe cocktailing in the MDR on another night. This is why I say you tip the server, not the venue and why I say that you need to take care of everyone who serves you, not just at dinner. So if you only tip cash for who serves you, do you then tip in the Windjammer every time or just for dinner? Because it doesn't matter if it's light out or dark out - if someone is serving you they are working for tips - that includes lunchtime workers in the WJ....:confused: Maybe I'm just confused and don't understand your post but it sounds like you would like for your breakfast and lunch and snack servers to be tipped by someone else for serving you...(presuming they will serve someone at night and be tipped or something...)

I've even tipped at the time of individual service in the WJ if I know I'm not using the MDR.

This is a good way to do it. If you don't eat in the MDR during your cruise and don't want to pre-pay then tip EVERY time you are served, not just dinner. My parents didn't care for the MDR, they like casual - and this is what they did....

DS and I will be on Monarch in December and have decided to make it a casual cruise and plan to avoid the MDR. To make it fair for all involved I chose MTD so the tips are paid, the wait staff assigned to me in the main dining room is not stiffed because I chose to dine elsewhere, and we don't have to take tablemates into consideration.

I think this is the most fair way to handle it when choosing to use alternative dining venues.

I agree, If you choose MTD then the tips will be prepaid and the waitstaff are looked after without inconvenience to any tablemates-a very good solution! If you wanted to give an additional amount to the staff in the WJ who go over and above that would be nice too!:)

If you truly do not intend to use the main dining room for dinner, then I would suggest when you board see the maitre d' and tell them you will not be eating dinner there and that will open up your spot if someone else wants to change their seating.

But I would still keep the tip as someone else said the tip is for all meals throughout the day, not just dinner.

I feel the times they are a changin' and this goes for cruising too.

Many years ago RCCL adapted a tip program that worked. Your dining options were very limited. They were MDR and WJ. On the Oasis-proof shows-how many dining option are out there for you.

You can easliy fall into the out of the norm catagory and not eat in the MDR-dine in the WJ and spend very little time eating other meals in the WJ. Why tip the MDR??

Some folks like eating in the WJ for dinner. A more accurate MTD then the one that exsists now.

Breakfast could be room service-CL or a diamond lounge.

Lunch could be out in ports or on excursions.

I cann't help but feel tipping personal servers pending your dining venues may be the way to go unless you follow the old cruise norm-B-L and D- in the MDR. :confused:

To the OP-many options available to you. Tip as you feel is right for you in your dining venue.

This is why I think the suggested tip should be added to the sign and sail account, Period. No taking if off becasue I didn't use the service or never asked the Ass't waiter for an extra roll, whatever....

Just add the minumin on and add to it if you want.

Last time I was on Princess, 3 years ago to Alaska, they did just that. Added $10 per day per person on to the account.

This way the staff gets paid.

I can understand what you do however it would only be fair to the staff in the diningroom for you to let them know up front you will not be using their services so they can put someonelse in that seat. The servers DO depend on a full table. Also, there are many people who want changes to their dining table and if you let your seats go it helps someone else.

Archived