Vatican reservations

grapejuice

Booking on the vatican website puzzled me too. You have to wait until the day the booking opens - Not sure if it is 30 or 60 days before your visit. Until then it shows nothing available. You need to be quick as it books up quickly.

Angie

I think you are confused. I was referring to the basilica (St. Peters) -- there is no entrance fee, hence no tickets.

For the Vatican museum, which includes the Sistine chapel, you most certainly can pre-reserve individual entrance tickets in advance online at the Vatican museum official website. You can choose to buy a ticket only, or to purchase the Vatican's guided tour, which includes your cost of admission.

Generally speaking, the best time to go to the Museum is around 1pm. Lines tend to be longest in the morning. If you are there in the "off" months or have several days in Rome, you probably don't have to reserve tickets. However, if you're in Rome only for a day and time is tight, I would definitely recommend getting your tickets in advance.

You do have to pick a time, so try to plan accurately.

If you have a ticket, you do not have to wait in the long line. There is a separate line for those with reserved tickets.

Hope this helps.

Well now I am confused. Rick Steves does not mention reservations as an option for an on-your-own trip, only if you are using a guide.

kirk

Well now I am confused. Rick Steves does not mention reservations as an option for an on-your-own trip, only if you are using a guide.

kirk

Do you have the most recent edition? The online reservations only became an option around 2 years ago (maybe less?).

Here is the link from the Vatican website: http://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/musei/tickets/do?action=booking&codiceLivelloVisita=9&step=1

Its the 2009 version :confused:, Thanks for the heads up!

My bad, I was using the RS Rome 2008. I also have RS Italy 2009 which does include the reservations.

Side bar question, Rick says no "short shorts". Does that mean normal length shorts are ok?

thanks,

Kirk

Archived