Vatican reservations

grapejuice

Tickets for the Vatican museum (including the Sistine chapel) can be reserved through the Vatican's official website here:

http://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/musei/tickets/index.html

There is a small service charge in addition to the ticket cost. You can only visit the Sistine chapel through the museum. There is no ticket needed to enter St. Peter's basilica.

You will get a voucher via email which you should take with you to the museum entrance. The setup varies slightly but it will be either just to the right or just to the left of the main ticket line.

The advantage of reserving tickets is that you won't wait any of your time in Rome waiting in the (sometimes very long) line to purchase tickets and get inside the museum.

Cynthia

Is there a sign at the entrance for pre paid tickets so you know where to go or is it pretty much easy to find the prepaid area to stand. Will your guide be waiting out front for you or do you go inside.

Is your prepaid ticket for a certain time?

Also Cynthia,

When pre ordering the tours on the Vatican website that you so kindly provided it states there are 3 tours

Vat museum and Sistine Chapel

Vat gardens

Vat museum and St Peters

If you choose Vat museum and Sis Chapel are you able to go straight to ST Peters? (I thought that St Peters was free anyway) It doesnt state that you can

If you choose Vat Museum and St Peters it is exactly the same as the above tour but you get to go to St Peters but the tour is a little more expensive

My question is why do they appear to be charging you to go to St Peters

They aren't charging you for entrance to St. Peters; they are charging you for the guided tour of St. Peters. :)

As to your other question, I'm really not sure if you can go straight through to St Peters if you take the Vatican/Sistine chapel tour. I took it a long time ago before I knew about the short-cut exit to St. Peters. Perhaps someone else will know...

Rick Steves has the following suggestion and we are going to try it in 2 weeks!! You can only do this if you have NOT rented a audioguide as these have to be returned at the front. In the Sistine Chapel there is a door for group tours. He recommends you walk out with a group or go out the door "protesting" that your group has gone ahead. When you go out the door you will be near the entrance to St. Peter's Basilica dome, if you wish to climb it, or you can go to the church. This door saves you a 15 minute walk from the Vatican museum to St. Peters and standing in security lines again. He does state that sometimes this door is not an option as it may be closed. But we are hoping to try it.

The door is to the right when you are facing forward with your back to the door where you entered the chapel. It may have a sign that says "Group Tours Only" -- but pay no mind. I used it last year, just walked through it on my own without a group and no one looked the least concerned.

Not only does this save you the walk from the entrance of the museum to the entrance of St Peters, it also saves you the walk back through the museum -- which is quite a distance from the Sistine chapel.

A few additional thoughts and suggestions:

1. Yes, if you exit the Sistine Chapel at the rear right, there is an exit that will take you right out next to both the Basilica and cupola/dome climb entrances.

2. If you are interested in climbing the dome/cupola (the highlight of our Vatican visit for my son!), do this immediately after exiting the Sistine Chapel, as the ticket window and entrance to the elevators are immediately down and to the right from there. Then, after the climb, the exit drops you INSIDE the left side of the basilica nave between the Choir and Presentation Chapels. From there, you can tour the basilica.

3. If you are visiting later this month (and not in the peak summer months) and avoid the early or mid-morning (go early afternoon), consider just buying your tickets at the window when you get there. You will save the handling fees and have more flexibility (in case you don't go, etc.).

4. Consider hiring a good guide for the Vatican Museums (note plural, not singular). The place is huge and this is the best way to get the most out of your visit. If you want to do this, I recommend you pre-arrange your guide.

5. The entrance to the Vatican museums is on the north side of the city along the wall. It is NOT near the main, eastern approach to the piazza. So, if you are meeting someone or trying to get the the Vatican museums at a certain time, allow extra time to walk there from most points east. IOW, if you're in a hurry, don't start your visit at Piazza San Pietro!

Enjoy Roma!

We are flying in on Saturday the 26th very early a.m. When would be the best time to go on Saturday to avoid long lines on Saturday.

Also, Sunday the 27th is a free day, but I am afraid to chance it on Sunday, as we leave for the port at 1:30.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

We are flying in on Saturday the 26th very early a.m. When would be the best time to go on Saturday to avoid long lines on Saturday.

Also, Sunday the 27th is a free day, but I am afraid to chance it on Sunday, as we leave for the port at 1:30.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

The best time to visit is probably 1 pm--right after all the morning bus group tours are gone, and everyone is headed for lunch.

I don't have the paperwork in front of me, but when I arranged my tour online, I believe I was forced to rent audio equipment, so taking the shortcut might not work for me.

I'll certainly keep this info in mind, though, when I'm there (just a month away!) and perhaps I can make good things happen!!

Thanks, everybody.

The best time to visit is probably 1 pm--right after all the morning bus group tours are gone, and everyone is headed for lunch.

I thought the museums closed at about 1:45 on Saturday's. Am I mistaken?? We will be there on the last Sat. and Sunday of Ocotber. And we are not sure which day to visit the Vatican. Any ideas on what the crowds will be like in late October, and if we should buy tickets in advance or wait until we get there. Thanks.

I thought the museums closed at about 1:45 on Saturday's. Am I mistaken?? We will be there on the last Sat. and Sunday of Ocotber. And we are not sure which day to visit the Vatican. Any ideas on what the crowds will be like in late October, and if we should buy tickets in advance or wait until we get there. Thanks.

The Vatican used to close early on Saturday, but this is no longer true. The museum is open until 6pm (ticket office closes at 4pm).

See official Vatican website:

http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-Info/MV_Info_Orari.html

I would always advise buying tickets in advance if you can accurately pin down the time you plan to arrive at the museum. It guarantees you no wait; otherwise, it is always a possibility. In late October in early afternoon it should not be a problem; however, Saturdays and Mondays are generally more crowded than other weekdays......so I guess the question is: do you want to take your chances?

The Vatican used to close early on Saturday, but this is no longer true. The museum is open until 6pm (ticket office closes at 4pm).

See official Vatican website:

http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-Info/MV_Info_Orari.html

I would always advise buying tickets in advance if you can accurately pin down the time you plan to arrive at the museum. It guarantees you no wait; otherwise, it is always a possibility. In late October in early afternoon it should not be a problem; however, Saturdays and Mondays are generally more crowded than other weekdays......so I guess the question is: do you want to take your chances?

Remember that last Sunday of October will be "free Sunday" and the crowds will be huge and the lines will be long that day. So unless you are on a budget and can't afford to pay the admission, go on Saturday (preferably at 1 pm)!

Thanks for your advice on these board. We booked the tour of the vatican gardens which also included our entrance to the vatican museums / sistene chapel. This is easy to do online. The lines when we arrived were very long. If you have pre-booked DONT JOIN THE LINE. Walk alongside it to the entrance and there is a separate line - usually very short if there is a line at all. Go in and then go to pre-booked tours where your guide will join you.

The gardens were an interesting introduction with wonderful perspectives of St Peters.

Once again, thanks everyone.

Angie

• 5 months later...
They aren't charging you for entrance to St. Peters; they are charging you for the guided tour of St. Peters. :)

Good point, based on my research you can not reserve your tickets if you plan on doing the museum on your own.

Can anyone confirm Terpnut (Nice win over Duke by the way ;)) comment about the best time to go?

Kirk

I just checked HAL's website and all of their Vatican tours are in the afternoon.

Good point, based on my research you can not reserve your tickets if you plan on doing the museum on your own.

Can anyone confirm Terpnut (Nice win over Duke by the way ;)) comment about the best time to go?

Kirk

I just checked HAL's website and all of their Vatican tours are in the afternoon.

I think you are confused. I was referring to the basilica (St. Peters) -- there is no entrance fee, hence no tickets.

For the Vatican museum, which includes the Sistine chapel, you most certainly can pre-reserve individual entrance tickets in advance online at the Vatican museum official website. You can choose to buy a ticket only, or to purchase the Vatican's guided tour, which includes your cost of admission.

Generally speaking, the best time to go to the Museum is around 1pm. Lines tend to be longest in the morning. If you are there in the "off" months or have several days in Rome, you probably don't have to reserve tickets. However, if you're in Rome only for a day and time is tight, I would definitely recommend getting your tickets in advance.

You do have to pick a time, so try to plan accurately.

If you have a ticket, you do not have to wait in the long line. There is a separate line for those with reserved tickets.

Hope this helps.

Archived