sunglass on towel animals

cigars-N-rum

I also wear $400 prescription glasses. And NO it does not bother me. Put them away, put in safe, keep them in your purse, whever.

I've got much bigger things to worry about in life and that's why I cruise so I don't worry about a thing when I'm gone.........

I guess I don't understand why people splurge on sunglasses... quote]

Because I cannot see without them.:rolleyes: Can't do contacts.

But then again I splurged on Transitions lenses. They hardly ever are off my face.

But if you are talking about regular/non-corrective glasses then it is the same reason people splurge on a $150 purse when a $20 purse will do just fine.

In that case, I completely understand why you'd splurge on sunglasses... I'm talking about the people who buy Coach, Gucci or some other overpriced brand name and pay $250 for them when I can get ones at Target that look the same, are stylish, and are only $20!

And about the purse thing, I will also never understand the point in spending hundreds of dollars on a purse either... I cannot let myself splurge on material items like that for the simple fact that it will end up dirty or sitting in the bottom of my closet when I get a new one. I'd rather use my money for better purposes - like cruising! :D I love purses, but would much rather buy cute stylish purses that are affordable! There are tons of places that sell them, NY&Company being one my favorites :) Anyway, I'm off topic now... but you get my point ;)

i know this is a pitty thing but it always bugs me a little. If i leave my sunglesses laying about in my room some time the room attendant put them on the towel animal. This alway bugs me a little bit. I am pretty O.C.D. when it comes to my shades. Dont get me wrong i dont get all worked up about it and it does not effect how i tip the person or any thing. Does this bug any one els

nope. no problem with that. don't leave your glasses in sight and it won't happen, so it won't bug you!

One of my mother's friends came back from a cruise talking about the wonderful way the cabin steward had shaped her nightgown into a rose. When my mother took her first cruise, she made sure to hide her nightgowns. She did not want the cabin steward playing with them.

We've never had any problems with cabin stewards using our things. The things they have used have always been in plain sight--hats, books, etc. I put away my sunglasses in a case.

I'm glad Princess stewards rarely make towel animals so I don't have to worry about it. I don't want to have to put everything away every time I leave the cabin so someone else doesn't touch it. If you wear bifocals, and they get stretched around a towel they may be out of alignment for the rest of the cruise which would upset me.

In the old days on Sitmar nightgowns used to be "arranged" every night. That never bothered me, but mine was usually hanging on the bathroom door hook not in a drawer. Going in the drawers is totally out of line.

90% of the time i put them in the safe. Yes they are pricy shades at over 200$. I have left them on desktop a few times on accident and thats when they have ended up on the monkey. I cant take them to dinner with me. As i said it not a big deal, i do find it funny when it does happen, my GF always takes pics. Its just a little thing that i dont like but i dont want to make a big deal about it by telling them to stop. It also does not wreck my cruise. Of the few times that this has happen it has not hurt my glasses. I know that there are other thing out there that can bug people even somthing this small.

I think the only thing that the room steward has done that ticked me off Is just walk in on us chaging with out knocking on the door.

In that case, I completely understand why you'd splurge on sunglasses... I'm talking about the people who buy Coach, Gucci or some other overpriced brand name and pay $250 for them when I can get ones at Target that look the same, are stylish, and are only $20!

;)

Because $20 Target ones do not protect your eyes the same that a pair of higher quality one do. You get what you pay for.

90% of the time i put them in the safe. Yes they are pricy shades at over 200$. I have left them on desktop a few times on accident and thats when they have ended up on the monkey. I cant take them to dinner with me. As i said it not a big deal, i do find it funny when it does happen, my GF always takes pics. Its just a little thing that i dont like but i dont want to make a big deal about it by telling them to stop. It also does not wreck my cruise. Of the few times that this has happen it has not hurt my glasses. I know that there are other thing out there that can bug people even somthing this small.

I think the only thing that the room steward has done that ticked me off Is just walk in on us chaging with out knocking on the door.

Have you tried locking the deadbolt? That is usually how they tell if someone is in the room or not- they can tell if the door is locked by looking at the outside of it.

Just get a cheap pair from the local WalMart / Walgreens, whatever and leave them out. :cool:

I like telling friends onboard oh I walked in my cabin and there was an elephant in there wearing sunglasses !

I think its funny ,,,Im sure the cabin stewards hopefully all of them take good care of the property of passengers

I always take cheap sunglasses I dont mind walking in with a whole ZOO of animals wearing my stuff and underwear on their heads oooops

ha ha ha ha:D:D

I had my spare pair of regular glasses in a glass case in the little vanity drawer by the mirror and found them on a towel animal. I loved the towel animals and laughed at the time and then when I thought about it, it creeped me out a little. I wouldn't leave anything valuable out now. Even sunglasses if prescription and expensive I would lock in the safe.:cool:

Have you tried locking the deadbolt? That is usually how they tell if someone is in the room or not- they can tell if the door is locked by looking at the outside of it.

That has always kept our daughter out-LOL! she could not figure out why her room key/card did not work.

There was another thread last week about "what do you do with the towel animals." My response was that I call security and report there was an elephant attempting to steal my sunglasses and then wait for them to come and arrest him.

To me, the more creative the better - as long as they stay out of my drawers!

If you know it's going to happen, and you know it's going to bug you, the logical thing to do is to put them away. Could there be a connection between illogical thinking and OCD? I don't know.

It doesn't bug me. I think it's cute.

Something as petty as that, no, it doesn't bother me in the least. If you're worried about overly priced expensive sunglasses being used on towel animals, then I would advise you to either put them away somewhere safe or take them with you. I for one don't spend anymore then $15-20 on sunglasses because they usually end up in the bottom of my purse or lost anyway... I guess I don't understand why people splurge on sunglasses...

What about them being used on a towel animal bothers you? I don't really get it...

Ok, now YES, that would bother me. If I have put something away in a drawer I too would be a little bothered that they went through the drawer to get it out. Now if it's sitting in plain site and it's only a pair of sunglasses it wouldn't bother me.

I think putting them away is a good suggestion, but no one should feel like they have to drag their sunglasses around the ship with them all evening just to make sure their steward doesn't use them (or touch them, I guess). As for whether some people have "over priced" sunglasses, there really is a difference between the super cheap ones and some of the more expensive ones. For people with sensitive eyes or who have to make extra certain to protect their eyes or who are hard to fit, the cheap ones simply won't work. Sure, some people buy them for the designer label/name. I think that's a big waste of money and we wouldn't do it. OTOH, I've used the same everyday handbag for about 7 years. It's a good quality one, though not designer, and I'm sure it's not terribly "stylish" in basic black leather. I own a couple of evening bags (one an heirloom from my grandma) and feel no need to update or buy new ones to coordinate with every outfit. The bottom line though is that it's not up to me to decide for someone else how to spend their discretionary income. Heck, there are many people who think cruises are over priced, wastes of money. None of us do, of course, but it doesn't make our opinions more of less valid than that of those who do.

As far as why it bother some people, I feel the same way as I do about the discretionary income. Everyone is different with different likes, dislikes, pet peeves, etc. It doesn't really matter why it bothers someone; they have a right to feel the way they do, even if others think it's a silly issue.

Personally I like the sunglasses on the animals thing, BUT if the steward went into a drawer and took out ANYTHING I would be onto the security officer so fast it would make your head spin.

There is NO circumstance where it is Okay for a steward to open one of your drawers or cases or anything else in the cabiin.

Absolutely agree. Putting items away in the drawers should mean that they are left there. I never, ever leave my prescription glasses (regular, sunglasses, or spares I bring with me) out. Not particularly because I would be upset if the steward used them for a towel animal, but because I can't afford for them to be damaged regardless.

I cannot believe this is an actual topic.....

Considering some of the topics I've seen on CC over the years, I can easily believe this is a topice of discussion. (BTW, did you have anything to contribute or were you just looking to somehow belittle the OP's choice of topic?)

beachchick

How the world does change.

Many cruisers long for the good old days. I can remember when the cabin stewards folded clothes and put them away if they were left out. They straightened everywhere in the cabin, they went in the drawers and closets.

Today, folks would run screaming to the desk that their privacy had been violated.

so yes, the simple solution is to just put your items away in the drawers. Or use the safe for any thing you consider valuable. Because there may be a few stewards out there that don't know how paranoid we are about having our stuff touched even though it's ok for them to make the bed and clean the shower and the toilet. I've even read a thread where the cruisers don't want the steward in the room at all, they wanted their linens brought to the door and handed to them. So to each their own way...

Considering some of the topics I've seen on CC over the years, I can easily believe this is a topice of discussion. (BTW, did you have anything to contribute or were you just looking to somehow belittle the OP's choice of topic?)

beachchick

I might have contributed much more than you think. It is these non-sense posts( Can I bring booze?, Has anyone been in cabin 7850?, Tell me everything about the Liberty, Can I wear a hat?, ect) that push good questions off the page and on to the next one, only to never be answered. If you started a thread exactly 24hours ago, it would already be on page 5. Most people don't look that far back, and good questions go unanswered.

Most questions can be answered by researching previous threads or reviews or calling the cruiseline. Nobody wants to do that. Now maybe someone will think twice about useless posts. But I doubt it.

It is these types of questions that makes my wonder how people get through their day without someone holding their hand....

Maybe you're just sensitive about your sunglasses, but does it bother you when the steward picks up clothing off a bed or chair and hangs them up, or tidies up your desk for you as well? I am sure no harm was intended, and all it takes is a brief mention of "Thank you for the towel animals, but I'd sure appreciate you not using my sunglasses on them." I don't see that as an uncomfortable scenario if you don't want them touching your things. The stewards want to keep you happy and they don't know that something is bothering you unless you tell them.

And yes, I remember our first cruise where the steward found my lovely negligee set (we still had them back then) and used it to create a piece of artwork on our bed one night. I slept in DH's t-shirts after that night.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

I'm going on my first cruise next month and I'm actually looking forward to the towel animals. I wear prescription sunglasses, so they are kept in a case at all times when I'm not wearing them, but I may just buy a pair of cheapies and leave them in my room so's the steward will put them on the towel animal. :D

Since we (DH and I) are going on a cruise for our wedding anniversary I will most probably have some negligees with me, ;) but think I'll make sure they are put away out of sight as, like others, don't think I would like the steward messing about with those :eek::o

Archived