How far from Newark to JFK?

Calyn2323

We can get a great price for air out of JFK. We have flown out of Newark which is about 2 hrs away. How much longer and further is JFK? Any info would be great. Thanks!

Are you speaking of MILES or TIME? Time from JFK to Newark-Allow AT LEAST 45minutes. Could be as long as a couple hours-traffic backups, time of day, day of week.

IF you are cruising out of Cape Liberty, be sure to figure the price of transfer from JFK to Cape Liberty. You are crossing STATE LINES-NY to NJ. The rules are confusing AND EXPENSIVE. You will most likely have to hire a car service as NO NY taxi has to take you to Cape Liberty You would have to negotiate with a NY taxi and they could charge you ANYTHING they want, as they don't want to go into NJ. Car service will most likely run about $100 EACH WAY to and from JFK to Cape LIbery.

What the others have said is true, but you won't actually be driving from Newark to JFK, will you? Presumably you're going to be driving from your home to JFK, and the answer depends on where your home is! I live in central NJ, and if I'm going to JFK I don't go anywhere near EWR.

The drive from my home to JFK is only 25 miles longer than the drive to EWR rather than the 36 mile distance from EWR to JFK.

What the others have said is true, but you won't actually be driving from Newark to JFK, will you? Presumably you're going to be driving from your home to JFK, and the answer depends on where your home is! I live in central NJ, and if I'm going to JFK I don't go anywhere near EWR.

The drive from my home to JFK is only 25 miles longer than the drive to EWR rather than the 36 mile distance from EWR to JFK.

This is correct we are looking at driving from home to JFK. We will be driving the turnpike from pa to Nj. I found a hotel at the airport that has a park and fly package, and I am a member of its rewards program. So this may be a good option for us. I have always been terrified to drive in New York, I guess I will have to get over it. We will also be driving at 10pm on a fri night, that is probably a good thing. The airfare is so expensive from Philly over $500 for when we want to go. EWR is a little bit better $400 the flight out of JFK is a direct flight and it is only $282. We have a group of people going on this trip with us. I am just not sure what everyone wants to do or is going to do. I only have to worry about 6 people. everyone else is on there own.

Again, thanks for the info it is very much appreciated.

This is correct we are looking at driving from home to JFK. We will be driving the turnpike from pa to Nj. I found a hotel at the airport that has a park and fly package, and I am a member of its rewards program. So this may be a good option for us. I have always been terrified to drive in New York, I guess I will have to get over it. We will also be driving at 10pm on a fri night, that is probably a good thing. The airfare is so expensive from Philly over $500 for when we want to go. EWR is a little bit better $400 the flight out of JFK is a direct flight and it is only $282. We have a group of people going on this trip with us. I am just not sure what everyone wants to do or is going to do. I only have to worry about 6 people. everyone else is on there own.

There's nothing to fear. Driving to JFK is no worse than taking the NJ Turnpike to EWR. Presumably you'll take either the Outerbridge Crossing or or the Goethals Bridge from NJ to Staten Island, cross Staten Island, take the Verazanno Narrows Bridge into Brooklyn and from there take the Belt Parkway to JFK. It's not at all like driving through midtown Manhattan on a weekday afternoon.

• 2 weeks later...

At 10 pm at night you should be fine assuming they don't decide to start construction and shut down a lane or two. But mostly that time of night isn't a bad time to drive around out to JFK because JFK is not very close to midtown Manhattan you'll mostly be in the highway if that's any comfort.

At 10 pm at night you should be fine assuming they don't decide to start construction and shut down a lane or two. But mostly that time of night isn't a bad time to drive around out to JFK because JFK is not very close to midtown Manhattan you'll mostly be in the highway if that's any comfort.

Thanks , it is good to know.

Unless I'm saving more than $200 pp, I will not travel the extra distance & deal with the BQE, the Belt, the VanWyk or any of the other horrible, congested, narrow roads that go to JFK. In time & aggravation, not to mention tolls & gas, it's just not worth it to me.

Unless I'm saving more than $200 pp, I will not travel the extra distance & deal with the BQE, the Belt, the VanWyk or any of the other horrible, congested, narrow roads that go to JFK. In time & aggravation, not to mention tolls & gas, it's just not worth it to me.

Well I guess it would be worth it. Its $206-$290 more to fly from Philly(with 1 stop), thats per person. We have 6 people so far. The flight from JFK is direct, and we will be traveling after 8pm up to JFK and flying out in the AM. I would love to leave from Philly, but I think leaving from JFK is an option for us to look at. We don't leave till next June, so we will watch the prices for a few more months.

You have to do what you have to do. I also don't like driving the Belt Parkway, but.... When my mother broke her hip and was in North Shore Hospital on Long Island for a week, I got over it really quick. Driving at night was much better than the daytime. IMO the best way to go is across Outerbridge Crossing instead of the Goethals Bridge. I've done that to Brooklyn from Exit 8 several times recently and have been very happy with it.

Well I guess it would be worth it. Its $206-$290 more to fly from Philly(with 1 stop), thats per person. We have 6 people so far. The flight from JFK is direct, and we will be traveling after 8pm up to JFK and flying out in the AM. I would love to leave from Philly, but I think leaving from JFK is an option for us to look at. We don't leave till next June, so we will watch the prices for a few more months.

Driving from Philly to NY is not bad at all. Especially that you are saving so much money and it is a NON stop flight from JFK, definitely worth it. The only thing you need to figure in is where you will park your car. The Belt Parkway really is not bad driving because trucks are not supposed to be on the Belt. Figure 2.5 hours from Philly.

For that savings, AND a direct flight, I might consider it. With 6 people can you rent a limo / van?

It's still going to be at least 3 hours each way.

How much luggage will you have? Can you take a train into NY & go from there?

Archived