USAir (3 threads combined)

pattyk

I think these union members are about to discover that January is a terrible time to be unemployeed. At the very least, US should issue letters of thanks to all employees who showed up for work on Xmas and let the industry know. That way, former baggage handlers who apply for work with AA/Delta, etc without a letter are in effect, blackballed.

ANyhow, I did a few searches on airfares this morning and US Air, by far, has the most expensive fares for the June period when I travel. For example, they want double (over $1000) what other airlines want to go from LAX to HNL (that's Hawaii). For an airline that appears to be losing its pulse, that's a lot.

from LAX to HNL (that's Hawaii).
As you may know, US Airlines doesn't fly between LAX and HNL. Certainly you can buy a ticket that will say that it is a US Airways flight, but the service is actually provided by United, a Star Alliance partner with whom they code-share. I do not know, however, what percent of the ticket revenue US Airlines actually obtains in this instance since the major cost (fuel, equipment, pilots, etc.) is borne by United. (Presumably, the out-of-pocket cost to US Airlines is practically zero.) Possibly someone else reading this does?

I think these union members are about to discover that January is a terrible time to be unemployeed.
I think their point would be that many of them are going to find that out anyway, since one of the advantages the airline gets from invalidating their contract is the ability to lay-off a great number of them.

Just bought tickets for my Florida weekend from DELTA. The website was crazy slow with so many people checking out their new, lower prices. Seems like Delta lowering prices has to be another nail in the coffin for US Air. I've always been a US Air flyer, but wouldn't take the chance again after my anxious wait for next week. The Delta tickets were about $100 less than they would have been a couple of days ago...but they are still no Southwest!

will be leaving on jan. 6 and am just biting my fingers-any one have any new news about this airlines??

Moderator,

Please combine this thread with the main US Airways thread. This is the THIRD thread started by the same poster.

Does anyone have any idea what happens with the frequent flier miles? I have lots. Any suggestions what to do?

I'm just going to make an educated guess.

1. If you have status with US, immediately ask whatever airline you would like to fly on for comparable status. It is usually easy to get.

2. Use your US miles IMMEDIATELY to book flights on Partner or *Alliance airlines. I mean call tonight, tomorrow. Even if you must change the flights at a later date, it should only cost you the change fee. The change fee, whether the tickets will be any good, etc. for US FF tickets has been hotly debated on various forums. You may loose the ticket (and miles) entirely, if the partner airline does not want to honor the ticket, even with the change fee. But you will loose ALL miles if US goes down. It is certainly worth booking something very, very soon. Good luck!!!

I am hoping someone can help me tonight. I am flying at 7am from LGA to Ft. Lauderdale on US Air. I have a backup flight on Spirit at 11am.

I'd rather not use the backup but here are my concerns:

I check in the bags with US Air. Then, problems arise. strike, or whatever. And then I can't get my bags for the backup flight or I'm in FL and can't get my bags since I ended up not taking their flight. My cruise leaves friday. Is this scenario realistic? What time is the judge's decision come?

Here's the latest:

US Airways, Machinists Head for Showdown

Thu Jan 6, 2005 01:48 AM ET

By John Crawley

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - US Airways (UAIRQ.OB: Quote, Profile, Research) and its machinists union headed for a showdown in bankruptcy court on Thursday that could ground the airline permanently or improve its chances of survival.

Judge Stephen Mitchell of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Alexandria, Virginia, planned to rule on the airline's motion to throw out the contract covering nearly 9,000 mechanics and related workers if the work group and the carrier failed to agree on a package of voluntary concessions.

Mitchell has not indicated which way he will rule, but he previously said he wanted the airline to survive. In October, he approved temporary pay cuts of 21 percent for most union workers at the seventh-biggest domestic airline.

The court's decision will be closely watched by heavily unionized industries as the case could set new labor law and bankruptcy precedents.

Full story: http://www.reuters.com/financeNewsArticle.jhtml?type=businessNews&storyID=7250891

Incidently, a couple of things have leaked. First, rumors are that US Airways plans to lay-off almost half of those machinists if the judge rules in their favor today. Second, many machinists were seen taking their tools home with them yesterday (I believe they own many of their own tools).

Yeah, I agree... I have 240,000 frequent flyer miles with US Airways, and wasn't able to use them, and fully expect them to go POOF when the airline liquidates. Loyalty is cheap in the airline industry now: Just lower your fares and you'll get loyalty, and draw "loyal" customers away from other airlines. That's why all the airlines are so upset with Delta, today.

With the announcement that Southwest is starting up in Pittsburgh, I see another nail in the USair coffin. USair was the primary carrier in Pittsburgh sometimes gouging those trying to get to Philly for $730, even though most of their flights stopped there anyway.

bicker: Joins points.com and convert the US Airways points THIS MORNING to another airline or hotel program.
But, it seems, only if you're a US Airways Visa card holder. This points.com FAQ page says:-
HELP · MANAGING YOUR POINTS ACCOUNT

Making trades with US Airways Dividend Miles

Only US Airways® Visa® Cardholders will be able to make exchanges out of their Dividend Miles account. All Dividend Miles Members will be able to make exchanges into their account.

convert the US Airways points THIS MORNING to another airline or hotel program. It won't transfer point for point, but you'll still end up with a fair number for the other program.

I suppose if one has a very large number of miles this may be the best possible option although it's more like one point gives one 0.058 points on another airline (even less on some)--not a wonderfully attractive conversion rate. Another option is to use some of your US Airways points for magazines. The deals are quite attractive at http://www.milepoint.com/mall/magazine.asp and, one doesn't need a large number of miles to participate.

I have a flight booked for September using frequent fyler miles. If USAir goes under will another airline accept my ticket just as if it was a ticket that I had paid for. I know it would have to follow all of the paramaters in place is that occured. booked this ticket recently since I had just enough miles for one ticket. I figured that I was going to lose them anyway and maybe I would have a chance with an actual ticket. I did call to try and book on United with them but there was no availability. They even checked flights with 3 layovers and there was nothing. I guess it doesn't help that you have to book these by calling USAir and not United.

Archived