USAir (3 threads combined)

pattyk

Where did you find these fares? Could you give me the site you visited? Just checked SW and there are no flights available on the 18/19th and AA wanted over $1000 pp refundable fare. Thanks!

Hi Deb,

I do logistics planning for a living and have four airline databases available to me, so didn't pick those fares from any particular website. But they are available to everyone. Just have to know how to book them. In other words, you become your own Travelocity, Expedia, etc.

The Southwest seats are gone. I posted this morning about 9:00AM that there were only 4 seats available on the noonish flight on the 18th. Everything else was sold out.

I can still see Continental tickets at $374.00 and AA tickets at $401. These are NON-refundable tickets. Just a backup, in case US goes down. Since this morning, Spirit airlines tickets have sold out, even the refundable ones. I think there are a lot of people buying back-up tickets, due to the problems on US Air. I have one of my databases going right now and am seeing seats disappear by the hour.

You got caught in a bad situation. How flexible are you in dates you leave and return. I know your cruise leaves on the 19th, but can you leave one day before, two days before? You will have to find your own comfort level with that. Friday (18th) and Sunday (27) fares are always higher than M-Th and Sat, even without President's week, Spring break, etc. Sometimes it is worth it to bite the bullet and miss a couple days of work and fly Thursday and return Monday. You usually save enough to pay for the hotels and put some money in your pocket. And you miss all the crowds from the cruise.

If I can help, please email. greatam@earthlink.net. I will need to send you VERY specific info-flight numbers, booking codes, etc. And you will need to book IMMEDIATELY. The cheap seats go very fast, even in the best of circumstances. Good luck!!!

Gina

If another airline would pick up passengers and get them home should USA fail, would they take along those in the family flying on FF tickets, or only the ones with the paid tickets?

In your scenario, IF, and that is the big question, there is CAPACITY to handle more passengers, it will not matter if they are paid tickets or FF tickets. IF US Air fails, it will create total havoc in the air for a few days, especially on the East Coast corridor. From a business standpoint, I would expect Southwest and Jet Blue especially to step up, bring in some extra planes, and try to accommodate pax, but don't count on it. Passenger goodwill (and free advertising) is one thing, but approx. $5,000,000 in unpaid, free tickets is another.

Worse case scenario: US Air goes down-kaput, completely out of business. You have a party of, let's say 7. You will either have to split up your party-3 on one plane, 4 on another or maybe 3, 2 and 2, on three different flights OR you will wait until there is a flight where all of you can be accommodated. You will not be paid for hotels, rental cars, taxi's, food etc., UNLESS you took out insurance and it does NOT have US Air on the financial default list on date of purchase. Please be prepared for this.

It would be cheaper to rent a mini-van and get everyone home on a one way rental drop off, ESPECIALLY if you are stuck in Florida. Rental car companies PAY people to move their cars after the main tourist and cruise season is over. I know a snow bird who moves his entire business EVERY year from NYC to Florida, free. Takes a rental car (actually a mini-van) from NY to Florida in Oct-Nov. filled with computers, files, and stuff. Then in the Spring, when the Florida season is over, he reverses the procedure.

If we can help you further, or ease your mind, please post.

Gina

So, can anyone tell me - if I plunked down $700 in refundable SW tickets today, and my US Air flight goes off as scheduled - do I still get the money back from SW since I didn't use the tickets?

Or, do I lose the money, since they can't rebook the seats? What exactly does fully refundable mean?

I am leaving Jan. 6th. Does anyone have any new information on either the stike maybe or something else about them? Please keep me informed if anything new arises. thank-you-I will be checking back until the minute I leave for the airport.

Fully refundable means fully refundable. Southwest's policy regarding fully refundable tickets is clear. You get your money back. They over-book flights to buffer themselves against a number of no-shows, like that.

AFAIK, most conventional car rental reservations are just that - there's no penalty for being a no-show. I've done it by accident myself and had no comeback.

I have a suspicion that a credit card number is required as a measure to limit the number of multiple or fake reservations - the former by selfish customers and the latter by trouble-makers including possibly shady competitors.

I suspect that once you reserve any service with a credit card the company has the right to charge for one service without cancelling. And I would suspect that it needs to be at least 24 hours early. It only seems fair if they are holding the car from potential rental.

I suspect that once you reserve any service with a credit card the company has the right to charge for one service without cancelling. And I would suspect that it needs to be at least 24 hours early. It only seems fair if they are holding the car from potential rental.
But they'd need to tell you they are going to do that, and they don't. And as I say, I haven't been charged when I've failed to show.

It is, of course, different if you're on a pre-paid reservation or if the reservation details clearly state that there will be a no-show charge.

I am leaving Jan. 6th. Does anyone have any new information on either the stike maybe or something else about them? Please keep me informed if anything new arises. thank-you-I will be checking back until the minute I leave for the airport.

Patty,

I keep checking the latest by going to google.com, clicking on the screen for "news" and then putting in "US Airways" as the search. You will get the most recent news.

FYI, here in Philadelphia, the news over the weekend was positive. People generally got where they were going with their bags. Good luck!

THANK YOU i WAS WONDERING WHERE I COULD CHECK MYSELF-DID NOT HERE ANY NEWS OVER THE WEEKEND SO I FIGURED THAT WAS GOOD NEWS-BUT NOW I SEE THAT I MIGHT HAVE BAD WEATHER TO DEAL WITH ON THURSDAY MORNING-BOY I CAN'T WAIT TILL I STEP ON BOARD THAT SHIP--THANK-YOU

We have reservations on US Air for February 11th. I'm quite nervous about this so I just purchased four one way tickets to Fort Lauderdale through Southwest Airlines for $49.00 each. I figure this way - at least we won't miss our cruise. They are nonrefundable but we will be issued a credit toward future flights. Even if we lose the $250.00 it's worth the peace of mind.

I posted this in the Celebrity Cruise Line thread by mistake... Sorry if you're seeing it for the second time...

The latest:

One union says its workers at US Airways might walk out if judge ...

philly.com (subscription) - Philadelphia,PA,USA

The union representing baggage handlers and mechanics at US Airways said today that workers might walk out by Friday if a federal bankruptcy judge, as expected ... [/Quote]

The spookiest quote in the article is, "If the judge wipes out our contract, what's the incentive to come to work on Friday?" This from a member of the one union who's members actually do have skills that can be readily translated to some other industry -- some other employment.

I was able to talk to rccl about changing my flight from 1/15 on usair to continental on 1/ 14 for only 50 bucks change fee. They were very nice to me over the phone, and suggested i talk to my TA asap, so i went down there today and things were taken care of. also, by going a day ahead, if something happens flight wise, i will have more time to prepare- even if i have to drive to buffalo or something. TA also found room in miami that has free shuttle from airport to hotel, and from hotel to pier- for 59 bucks- Days Inn! I feel much better now.:)

More news this morning about the likelihood that the machinists will not agree to concessions. That puts the airline between a rock and a hard place: If the judge grants their petition on Thursday, they'll save money but won't have any flights. If the judge doesn't grant their petition on Thursday, they'll be spending more money that they're allowed, but still be able to fly until the 15th.

And the plot thickens!

US Airways seeks more time

Pittsburgh Business Times - Pittsburgh,PA,USA

US Airways Group Inc. says it needs another month and a half to devise a plan that will allow it to exit bankruptcy protection, according ...

Hmmmm... I see this as a 50/50 kind of thing. They may actually get the extension. However, does that mean that if they don't, they'll almost surely go into liquidation?

Archived