11am flight?

SantaAna,CA

Jane, the challenge always comes down to customs. For example, do they board the ship on time, do all passengers see them in the required time frames.

Many times it's not a problem. Sometimes it is.

I probably would have recommended a flight at 12:00 PM because you never know how it will go.

Keith

The ship officially advises not to book a flight before noon. I've done 11:15, etc. leaving close to 10, but I would not advise that to clients or anyone else. Last time, I booked for 2:30 but got on a 10:55 flight, and I left the ship at 10. It was a wild dash and stressful, and I paid a fee, but I was glad I had that later flight. Think what happens if you don't get on anything and are stuck there all night.

You always have the issue that you might not get off. We had one cruise where we did not get off in FLL until 10:45, and the first off got off at 10:30. That was last Christmas on Regent Voyager due to some baggage issue that was not their fault. It can be a risk.

Hi Jane--one more thing to check would be the number of ships arriving in FLL that day--the airport can be a zoo when several big ships are arriving--last time we arrived the terminal was busy--but we had a FC upgrade and we got thru in good shape. Glad you are giving SS a try--think you are going to like it! Don

Hello, Jane - If you are departing out of MIA, I doubt there is any way you'll make it. If you are out of FLL, perhaps....but I do agree with the gentleman who mentioned to check on how many ships will be arriving that day - last time we disembarked in FLL there was quite a delay and I believe 1 customs officer for 3 ships (not really), but staffing seemed pretty inadequate for the influx of passengers! And then there were the passengers who could not find and present themselves to the officials....And the airport terminal was a ZOO! A later flight would probably be best to alleviate any stress - and you do have the time zones on your side for getting home!

I'm leaving out of FLL and I have an upgraded ticket to First Class, so checking baggage won't be a problem.

Last year, disembarking Seabourn at Port Everglades, they somehow managed to drop us off in a terminal where we were THE only ship going through the customs hall. I breezed through.

If I pay one more change fee with American Airlines, I'll scream. However, I might just do it anyway....I don't like stress!

Jane--I would check on the number of ships arriving--I'm not sure how you do that, but I know it can be done. Our last SS cruise we arrived in LAX--I had an 11am flight--got off the ship with the first group--had a car and had a full hour to spend in the departure lounge at LAX--I know FLL isn't LAX, but the FLL airport is a lot closer--it all depends on the cruise ship mob at the airport! Have a good cruise what ever you do! Don

Jane I found the Port Everglades Web Site and here is the URL but right now it shows schedule through early October.

Here is their URL

http://www.porteverglades.net/about-us/ship-schedule/

There is a phone number and I am sure if you call it you can find out what ships are in port that day. (954) 523-3404

Keith

I was able to change my flight to a later one, and AA didn't charge me a fee. Very nice of them. So I can breathe easy, and also go to Calvary Chapel Ft. Lauderdale Sunday morning. I was there three years ago when I came back from my first Seabourn cruise!

Is anyone familiar with Ft. Lauderdale? My flight is at 4:30pm and I thought I might drop by the butterfly farm on my way to the airport after church. I'm sure the car company that is squiring me around can tell me, but it would be fun to do both.

Thanks for all your input; very helpful.

Jane

Please be aware that the crusett.com web site is far from accurate. I might be mistaken but I don't even think it shows the Silversea ship in port that day.
I have found http://www.cruisereport.com/PortsOfCallList.aspx to be reasonably accurate, and they do list SS ships. If you want to check every port on a long itinerary, it will take a while. For Ft Lauderdale on 22 November, it shows Coral Princess, Emerald Princess, Holland Am. ms Westerdam and Silversea Silver Shadow in port there. I guess all will be on changeover days.

Thanks for the link to cruisereport.

Just for fun, I checked our Ft Lauderdale disembarkation on April 19, 2010.

Celebrity Equinox: 2,850 passengers

RCCL Enchantment of the Seas: 2,446

Island Princess: 1,970

Ruby Princess: 3,070

All scheduled to dock at 7am. In the worst case, there would be 10,336 passengers disembarking. A normal day for this port I presume. My TA said go for an afternoon departure from FLL, so we should be okay.

Thanks again.

I have found www.cruisereport.com/PortsOfCallList.aspx to be reasonably accurate, and they do list SS ships. If you want to check every port on a long itinerary, it will take a while. For Ft Lauderdale on 22 November, it shows Coral Princess, Emerald Princess, Holland Am. ms Westerdam and Silversea Silver Shadow in port there. I guess all will be on changeover days.

It does not show shadow in port (san pedro) on Oct 3rd or 12th in LAX? Am I looking at the wrong place?

It does not show shadow in port (san pedro) on Oct 3rd or 12th in LAX? Am I looking at the wrong place?

For San Pedro just use this web site.

http://www.pcsterminals.com/

Then click on Cruise Ship Schedules

Then click on Calendar

Then click on October

You'll see that Silver Shadow is one of three ships in port on 10/3 and the berth number and you'll see that Silver Shadow is the only ship in port on 10/12 and the berth is TBA.

Keith

For San Pedro just use this web site.

http://www.pcsterminals.com/

Then click on Cruise Ship Schedules

Then click on Calendar

Then click on October

You'll see that Silver Shadow is one of three ships in port on 10/3 and the berth number and you'll see that Silver Shadow is the only ship in port on 10/12 and the berth is TBA.

Keith

Thanks keith, you are a fountain of good info. I used your reccomendation for travelex posted on another thread.

Archived