Casual dining on Mercury

BonnieVA

I'm trying to understand my casual dining options on the Mercury:

Is the Palm Springs Cafe the buffet? If not, where is the buffet ... & what is Palm Springs Cafe like? What are the evening (dinner) hours of the buffet &/or Palm Springs?

I read on some post here about a casual dining venue where they were served & left tips. For some reason I thought they were refering to the buffet, but they might have been talking about another venue. So is the buffet do-it-yourself or is there some amount of service also?

:o Can you tell I'm confused about the casual dining on Mercury?? Sorry if this has been covered but I just can't find the info. Thanks!

I'm trying to understand my casual dining options on the Mercury:

Is the Palm Springs Cafe the buffet? If not, where is the buffet ... & what is Palm Springs Cafe like? What are the evening (dinner) hours of the buffet &/or Palm Springs?

I read on some post here about a casual dining venue where they were served & left tips. For some reason I thought they were refering to the buffet, but they might have been talking about another venue. So is the buffet do-it-yourself or is there some amount of service also?

:o Can you tell I'm confused about the casual dining on Mercury?? Sorry if this has been covered but I just can't find the info. Thanks!

Celebrity does not have a buffet for dinner on any of their ships. The casual dining is in the buffet area but it is off a menu, waiter served and a different menu than the MDR. There are also options such as sushi, pizza, pasta, etc but not a buffet as you would get for Breakfast or Lunch.

Celebrity does not have a buffet for dinner on any of their ships. The casual dining is in the buffet area but it is off a menu, waiter served and a different menu than the MDR. There are also options such as sushi, pizza, pasta, etc but not a buffet as you would get for Breakfast or Lunch.

So is the Palm Springs Cafe this b'fast & lunch buffet/evening casual place you're talking about? Is it possible to see the menus for the casual & for the MDR earlier in the day?

Since X has gone to an auto-gratuity system, would you tip extra in the casual dining or are these waiters also included in the auto-tips?

On every Celebrity ship I've been on they post the dinner menu outside of the dining room after lunch, and on some ships recently they've posted it outside the cafe/buffet areas at lunch time. It helps you decide your options for dinner that night.

So is the Palm Springs Cafe this b'fast & lunch buffet/evening casual place you're talking about? Is it possible to see the menus for the casual & for the MDR earlier in the day?

Since X has gone to an auto-gratuity system, would you tip extra in the casual dining or are these waiters also included in the auto-tips?

Sorry, there is a $2.00 pp charge in casual dining and reservations are requested by not always necessary.

A section of the buffet area is transformed into a very nice order from the menu restaurant. It is quiet and the tables are covered in linen. I think they only have one or two menus.

It is very nice and well worth the $2

My BF and I are more the casual buffet types...so there is not buffet for dinner? So we must pay to eat casual? wow scarey for the BF... to top it off we ended up on late dining which is not good for him. :eek: sounds kind of limiting...and reservations too boot...Fine for me I like the idea of a "nice" dinner...but may be bad for him

My BF and I are more the casual buffet types...so there is not buffet for dinner? So we must pay to eat casual? wow scarey for the BF... to top it off we ended up on late dining which is not good for him. :eek: sounds kind of limiting...and reservations too boot...Fine for me I like the idea of a "nice" dinner...but may be bad for him

I'd suggest going to the dining room after boarding and seeing about getting switched to early seating if that's your preference. No guarantees, but it never hurts to ask, and they will certainly make the switch if possible.

Although there isn't a "full buffet," don't let that scare you off. There is a salad bar, a made-to-order stir-fry station, and a made-to-order pasta station, as well as sushi and very mediocre pizza. That's as good as many buffets, IMO. And you can order room service during dinner hours and include any items you want from the main dining room menu. None of these have any cost associated with them. On my recent Mercury cruise, I only ate in the main dining room about half the time, and was perfectly happy elsewhere.

pookiecruzin-I'm curious why you picked this cruise line if you want casual dining all the time. I think you will find that you have several choices as stated in previous posts if you don't want to go to the dining room. Again, as soon as you board, go and see if you can switch to early dining.

Also, $2.00 is not that much for a nice dinner, the wait staff is "in training" and they do a very nice job. The $2.00 is for them.

Enjoy your cruise.

Lucy

Is the $2 gratuity added to your card or should I be prepared w/ cash?

What about desserts, lol??? Will I get the choice of the same good desserts in casual dining as MDR? Gotta know this important stuff before I step on the ship!

The $2 each will go on your card

Deserts were ok as I recall but choices have been cut everywhere anyways

pookiecruzin-I'm curious why you picked this cruise line if you want casual dining all the time. I think you will find that you have several choices as stated in previous posts if you don't want to go to the dining room. Again, as soon as you board, go and see if you can switch to early dining.

Also, $2.00 is not that much for a nice dinner, the wait staff is "in training" and they do a very nice job. The $2.00 is for them.

Enjoy your cruise.

Lucy

I love to dress it up. My BF won't wear a tie to save his life..lol...I wanted a short weekend cruise close to home (Oregon). I have been dying to try Celeb! As for the late dining time...I told him HE can go have dinner and me and my other friends who are sailing will meet him later... lol

I agree that $2 is nothing..

Thanks for the info

Is the $2 gratuity added to your card or should I be prepared w/ cash?

What about desserts, lol??? Will I get the choice of the same good desserts in casual dining as MDR? Gotta know this important stuff before I step on the ship!

We just got off the Mercury this morning; the menu posted for casual dining was exactly the same as what we got in the dining room - desserts and all. DO NOT go with high expectations...we did and were sorely disappointed with the dining overall. Very subjective I know, but we had expected this to be a notch above RCCL and it absolutely wasn't - not in any way. Also, this itinerary (on our sailing at least) attracts a much more "mature" demograhpic...your odds of being able to switch to early dining are very, very low.

Like you, we wanted to try Celebrity in a "low impact" way, so we chose this short, easy, inexpensive cruise. That may have been a mistake. We'll never know whether it's the product in general or just the ship we didn't like since we won't ever try this cruiseline again to find out.

Happy Sails,

Annette

We just got off the Mercury this morning; the menu posted for casual dining was exactly the same as what we got in the dining room - desserts and all. DO NOT go with high expectations...we did and were sorely disappointed with the dining overall. Very subjective I know, but we had expected this to be a notch above RCCL and it absolutely wasn't - not in any way. Also, this itinerary (on our sailing at least) attracts a much more "mature" demograhpic...your odds of being able to switch to early dining are very, very low.

Like you, we wanted to try Celebrity in a "low impact" way, so we chose this short, easy, inexpensive cruise. That may have been a mistake. We'll never know whether it's the product in general or just the ship we didn't like since we won't ever try this cruiseline again to find out.

Happy Sails,

Annette

If the menu posted for Casual dining is the same as the main dining room, that is a change that has not occurred ever on a Celebrity cruise. The casual dining has always been different than the MDR without exception. Did you actually eat in casual dining or are you just speaking of what was posted because that is a major change...

Happy Sails,

Annette

Hi Annette, sorry you had such a terrible time:eek: I have never known the

Casual Dining to have the same menu as the main dining room. Usually there

are about 3 entree choices.

You are right, food is always subjective. I sailed on 9/6 and we found

most everything to be delicious:)

Hi Annette, sorry you had such a terrible time:eek: I have never known the

Casual Dining to have the same menu as the main dining room. Usually there

are about 3 entree choices.

You are right, food is always subjective. I sailed on 9/6 and we found

most everything to be delicious:)

Hi Lois,

Rest assured, we had a great vacation - just found that as far as cruises go this one didn't "WOW" us in any way. As for the casual dining (dkjretired); no we didn't eat there but the menu posted right on the glass wall where it was set up was the MDR menu. That certainly implied to me that it was what would be served if you ate there. I'd have been unpleasantly surprised to have booked it based on that assumption and then be offered something less. Perhaps they tell you what's on offer when you book? I suggest the OP ask to be sure if it matters to her.

Happy Sails,

Annette

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think I saw anyone say anything regarding the timing of the buffet.

We always have late seating, but of course sometimes might feel a bit peckish at 6-6:30, and need something to hold us until 8:30 dinner.

When does the "buffet" stop becoming available to just be able to walk up, grab a plate, and take a snack?

Thanks.

Casual dining is only one of the many reasons we keep on returning to Celebrity!

We absolutely love the peace and quiet of the casual dining area, the gorgeous views if we get a window table, the enthusiasm and "try harder" attitude of the wait staff in training. On our Mercury cruise in May, the menu for casual dining did not change from night to night EXCEPT that there was always one new addition in each category: starters, entree, and dessert. One night the special entree was rack of lamb!

An additional benefit: we were able to finish dinner in about 75 minutes without feeling rushed or delayed.

The evening buffet offerings were ample - sushi, stir fry, pasta, salad and pizza. The buffet is open on the starboard side of the ship, and the casual dining is on the port side in the Palm springs area.

We are seniors who just cannot eat as much as we used to, cannot converse in a noisy room, and cannot sit in a dining room chair for too long. So we love the casual dining on Celebrity - no other line has exactly this choice - and that is one of the reasons we continue to book Celebrity.

When does the "buffet" stop becoming available to just be able to walk up, grab a plate, and take a snack?

That's a good question. I'm curious too. But I'm glad to see that besides the MDR & the casual dining, there is also the availability of the pasta, salad, etc section as crabby just mentioned.

Although there isn't a "full buffet," don't let that scare you off. There is a salad bar, a made-to-order stir-fry station, and a made-to-order pasta station, as well as sushi and very mediocre pizza. That's as good as many buffets, IMO. And you can order room service during dinner hours and include any items you want from the main dining room menu. None of these have any cost associated with them. On my recent Mercury cruise, I only ate in the main dining room about half the time, and was perfectly happy elsewhere.

I know this option will work well for my friend & me on those evenings we don't feel like the MDR. We also got late dining and will try that for the first time, but we're not sure we can hold out long enough. We'll see. We're open to trying new things.

Does anybody know if the sushi costs anything extra? Is it offered as part of a buffet or made to order?

We will be on the Mercury in December 09.

Does anybody know if the sushi costs anything extra? Is it offered as part of a buffet or made to order?

We will be on the Mercury in December 09.

No charge for Sushi:)

They have guys who work the sushi area and are making things

all the time.

The Palm Springs Cafe buffet at lunch runs from 12 noon to 2:30 pm. There is also a Casual Afternoon Tea from 4 pm to 5 pm. A salad bar runs from 12 noon to 9:30 pm.

Pizza & Pasta available from 12 noon to 10:30 pm. Sushi and Stir Fry served from 5 pm to 9:30 pm. Hamburgs & Hot dogs, salads & Grill Specials available at the Pool Grill from11:30am to 7:00pm and the best for last, Ice Cream from 12noon to 9:00 pm

Archived