Silver Whisper And St Petersburg Russia

Keith1010

I know that the Whisper has sailings in 2010 that include stay in St. Petersburg, Russia.

Question. Will this size ship dock at the downtown area or does it dock in a remote area? I was told downtown but just want to confirm that with someone who has been on a sailing of this ship or the Shadow if it ever sailed this itinerary as opposed to say the Cloud or the Wind.

Thanks

Keith

Keith,

I would be willing to be that the Whisper will dock at the English Embankment right on the Neva a few blocks from the Hermitage. It is so convenient, about an hour closer than where the large ships dock. I was there in 1994 on the Silver Cloud and that's where we docked and also in 2005 with Seabourn.

I know that the Whisper has sailings in 2010 that include stay in St. Petersburg, Russia.

Question. Will this size ship dock at the downtown area or does it dock in a remote area? I was told downtown but just want to confirm that with someone who has been on a sailing of this ship or the Shadow if it ever sailed this itinerary as opposed to say the Cloud or the Wind.

Thanks

Keith

Hi Keith,

We did this trip on the Whisper back in 2006 and we docked right in town for 3 wonderful nights! Very convenient location for shore excursions or just to get off the ship and walk around town. We loved it and want to go back. Enjoy it if you decide to go.

We also really enjoyed Stockholm and Talinn on that same trip. Would you go to those ports, too?

We are looking at a back to back which would include both ports and as part of the back to back would include an overnight in Stockholm as well as two stops in Tallinn. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed both of these ports.

Keith

Keith,

The Baltic is a wonderful cruise with lots of exciting ports. Just be sure you have plenty of energy for St. Petersburg as you won't have a moment's rest for three solid days. Knowing you, that won't be a problem though. One thing I do recommend very highly is private tours so you can arrange your own agenda and control the three days. It also eliminates the need for a visa without having to take the ship's tours.

Wripro, how does one go about booking private tours?

Silversea runs great shore excursions, but is there something about St. Petersburg that makes a private tour better? I do like the idea of going at your own pace and lingering or hurrying up when you feel like it.

Hi Keith, We did this trip on the Whisper back in 2006 and we docked right in town for 3 wonderful nights! Very convenient location for shore excursions or just to get off the ship and walk around town. We loved it and want to go back. Enjoy it if you decide to go.

Just a couple items of "caution" for Keith. For Silversea and the other smaller ships, there is a good chance it will be docking closer to the main, historic areas. BUT, there are also other smaller ships from Seabourn, Oceania, Azamara, etc. that could be in port during that period. Depending on timing and luck, all of them cannot be docked there at one time. In 2009, St. Petersburg started opening its new cruise ship port as opposed to using the more industrial setting where we docked last summer on the Crystal Symphony. As you know from your wide experiences, these things can change and nothing is guaranteed on where you will dock.

Second, unless you go to the added cost and trouble to get, far in advance, a visa for Russia, you cannot just "get off the ship and walk around". Sorry! That's sharply controlled there. There are also safety issues and questions in St. Petersburg. It's better than in the past, but it is not always ideal to be walking around by yourself in some parts of St. Petersburg. Having a Russian-experienced guide and being part of a smaller group with a driver allows some advantage, both in safety and with your logistics, time-efficiencies.

Agree 100% that Tallinn, Copenhagen and Stockholm are very super in their charm, history and character. Loved them all. Let us know as you get closer and we will be happy to share more from our travels and my research in that great part of the world. Having a private guide makes all of the difference. Have you been to Moscow? That's another great option worth considering if you have three days in St. Petersburg.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I don't know how, but somehow out guide managed to get us into the major sites like the Catherine's Place, Peterhoff, etc., without waiting in the long lines that tour bus people had to go through. Maybe small groups get different treatment? This alone is a lot of time saving.

Being the first time there, we did all the major sites in our private tour, but of course we could control how much time we spent in each place. We didn't waste time on somebody else's junk shopping, my pet peeve not being a shopper, and we could cut the tour short when we got tired. We had nice lunches in locally popular restaurants, too small for tour buses. Being interested in food, it was a big plus.

I highly recommend a private tour in a place like St. Petersburg where there's so much to see and do.

There are also safety issues and questions in St. Petersburg. It's better than in the past, but it is not always ideal to be walking around by yourself in some parts of St. Petersburg. Having a Russian-experienced guide and being part of a smaller group with a driver allows some advantage, both in safety and with your logistics, time-efficiencies.

When we went to supposedly the Fifth Avenue of St. Petersburg, can't remember the name now, the guide was staying very close. From his demeanor I guessed it's a security concern. When other couple lagged behind and out of sight, he got frantic. It's been years since I was there, so things might have changed.

Wripro and Terry, thank you very much for the information.

We typically either book shore excursions through the ship or we just walk around on our own but for this port based on what so many people have told us and reaffirmed by each of you we do plan to go with private tours. We have been told this has many benefits including avoiding many of the long lines and as wripro mentioned we can customize the tours so we get the most value from them. We know that we also want to go to the ballet at night. I have been told that Red October is a good company to consider. If you or anyone else has suggestions that will be good.

Terry and Simon, I was given the same advice you just gave in your posts about safety so we will definitely be very cautious in this city. I know it's a big deal and we tend to be very street smart but we know that being a tourist makes us a bigger target when we travel.

I know I will be back with lots of questions. Right now I'm focused on another voyage beginning in January but once we get all of that finalized I will ask more questions about this one.

While we have traveled extensively we have only gone to a few of the countries in this area of the world, so this is an itinerary we have wanted to do for quite some time.

We like the fact that with the two combined cruises we will see some additional places but we are also fine with the overlap so that we can see more of some of these areas. It also allows us to fly back from London which is easier than some of the other places and we will fly to Copenhagen for the pre cruise which we have been to once before as part of a pre cruise on the Seabourn Pride. We enjoyed Copenhagen.

Keith

I don't know how, but somehow out guide managed to get us into the major sites like the Catherine's Place, Peterhoff, etc., without waiting in the long lines that tour bus people had to go through. Maybe small groups get different treatment? This alone is a lot of time saving. I highly recommend a private tour in a place like St. Petersburg where there's so much to see and do.

YES, that avoiding of big lines was a major plus in our visit by using a private tour. We used Anastasia and she was great . . . BOTH during the important planning phase that started seven months ahead . . . AND . . . during the actual touring while there in Russia. Getting into Catherine's Palace, taking the Hydrofoil, doing the early admission to the Hermitage, etc., all allowed us to avoid those frustrating lines and be more time efficient.

Terry and Simon, don't you think that some of the reasons the private tours are able to get through faster are factors such as that they might provide some incentive that gets them preference. Not different than dining in a fine restaurant by giving a token of appreciation to the Maitre d'.

Keith

Terry and Simon, don't you think that some of the reasons the private tours are able to get through faster are factors such as that they might provide some incentive that gets them preference. Not different than dining in a fine restaurant by giving a token of appreciation to the Maitre d'. Keith

As I observed and watched things very closely, it seemed to be more of a factor that they had made . . . advance reservations . . . knew where and how to go . . . and . . . we were smaller in size as a group to fit in and be easier to accommodate quickly. There were only four of us, plus our guide. It just all moved very, very smoothly. Large groups just can't move as well, nor be as accommodated as easily. I didn't sense that it was any "incentives" or those other phrases that might be used to be described by terms such as "greasing of the palms". In going to the Hermitage, there was a little extra fee for an early admission, but it was well worth that added cost and the benefits of beating the larger crowds and groups.

We typically either book shore excursions through the ship or we just walk around on our own but for this port based on what so many people have told us and reaffirmed by each of you we do plan to go with private tours. We have been told this has many benefits including avoiding many of the long lines and as wripro mentioned we can customize the tours so we get the most value from them. We know that we also want to go to the ballet at night. I have been told that Red October is a good company to consider. If you or anyone else has suggestions that will be good. I know I will be back with lots of questions. Right now I'm focused on another voyage beginning in January but once we get all of that finalized I will ask more questions about this one. We like the fact that with the two combined cruises we will see some additional places but we are also fine with the overlap so that we can see more of some of these areas. It also allows us to fly back from London which is easier than some of the other places and we will fly to Copenhagen for the pre cruise which we have been to once before as part of a pre cruise on the Seabourn Pride. We enjoyed Copenhagen. Keith

Looks like a good plan, Keith! I assume you are considering the August 16-September 2 back-to-back on the Silver Whisper that starts in Copenhagen, does Tallinn, three days in St. Petersburg, then Helsinki, two days in Stockholm, Tallinn again, two days in St. Petersburg, Helsinki again, Rostock/Germany, Kiel Canal, super great Bruges/Belgium and then docking in Southampton. That's seventeen days with just two sea days. It will allow you much time in many key ports and nearby cities. For St. Petersburg, you should consider checking with about four of the major companies, including Red October and Anastasia. Let them know and understand fully what your specifics interests and needs are. Don't be shy! I found some companies just offer the "cookie-cutter" versions of their package tours. It's kind of a private tour, but it's fairly "formula" in approach. Others really listen and are very responsive to make it custom to fit and answer YOUR PERSONAL INTERESTS for history, culture, architecture, etc. With your South America, Africa, Asia, Europe world cruise upcoming, you're a little busy right now. Look forward to sharing any helpful info as your schedule permits.

The guide was staying very close. From his demeanor I guessed it's a security concern. When other couple lagged behind and out of sight, he got frantic. It's been years since I was there, so things might have changed.

It helps to understand the way Russian visas all work. There is a “sponsor” for every visa, for every visitor, even now. It might be your hotel, tour guide, family member, etc. They are responsible for making sure that the visitors don’t break any laws/rules. They take their responsibilities with varying degrees of seriousness these days. However, before and in the years after perestroika, sponsors were very strict because they could be arrested if a visitor misbehaved. In your case, I image they might have been more concerned about your misbehavior than they were that you might be assaulted.

TCLOhio,

the Whisper is smaller than Oceania or Azamara (28,500 tons vs. 30,000) so that shouldn't be a problem. I'd be very surprises if she didn't dock at the English Embankment.

The Ferret,

There are three main companies that provide private tours, Red October, Denrus and Alla. All are good. I used Red October last time and was very satisfied. Friends of mine used Denrus past June and loved them. You can google them all, check their websites and email them giving your dates and ask for suggestions and rates.

As far as not being able to get off the ship without an individual visa, I doubt anyone will have the strength to do so after all that touring, especially if you arrange evening ballet tours as well. There's simply no time to do anything else.

I have read this thread and have seen no mention of "The Gold Room," in the Hermitage. Many years ago when we first went there, there was an additional charge of $100 per person just to view the Sythian gold and the gifts of the crown heads of Europe to the Czars. It was an incredible experience and one that should not be missed so, when making private tour reservations, you should make sure this is included.

I have read this thread and have seen no mention of "The Gold Room," in the Hermitage. Many years ago when we first went there, there was an additional charge of $100 per person just to view the Sythian gold and the gifts of the crown heads of Europe to the Czars. It was an incredible experience and one that should not be missed so, when making private tour reservations, you should make sure this is included.

From reading past reviews on these boards, many of the comments have been mixed. Some say it's great and wonderful. Others say it is not worth the added cost and time to do the Gold Room. For our visit last summer to the Hermitage, we did not attempt to do the Gold Room there. We did a one-day air trip to Moscow and back. There, inside the Kremlin at the Armoury, we saw the Russian Crown Jewels, Fabrege Eggs, etc. We believed (with counsel from our tour company leader Anastasia) that this plan would give us enough of a "fix" for jewelry and that we would be better to focus attention at the Hermitage on its paintings, sculpture, spectacular rooms, etc. For us, it worked fine in skipping the Gold Room. It's a personal choice. You can go to their website

http://www.hermitagemuseum.org

and consider more about the many great options within this five-building museum to decide your priority and best personal interests.

Archived