life jackets in port?

sherri14

Will I be able to rent/find a life jacket near beaches in port? Although I will be with my daughter, I will still want her in one. We are planning to maybe do a public beach in Grand Cayman and then Paradise Beach in Cozumel. Does anyone know?

Sometimes at beach shacks that rent snorkle gear they will have snorkle vests. They are not exactly life jackets,, but do assit in keeping someone afloat. It is hard to really know if that would be appropriate for your daughter as I have no idea if we are talking about a 13 yr old who can't swim,, or a 3 yr old..

I will add that beach at Grand Cayman ( 7 mile beach) ,, was so nice,, no steep drop off, crystal clear water,, no to low surf etc. great for kids.

Sometimes at beach shacks that rent snorkle gear they will have snorkle vests. They are not exactly life jackets,, but do assit in keeping someone afloat. It is hard to really know if that would be appropriate for your daughter as I have no idea if we are talking about a 13 yr old who can't swim,, or a 3 yr old..

I will add that beach at Grand Cayman ( 7 mile beach) ,, was so nice,, no steep drop off, crystal clear water,, no to low surf etc. great for kids.

She is five. We have one at home; she wears it all the time and actually prefers it. I thought if they would be available we could just rent rather than packing to save room. But we will bring it to be sure we have it. Thanks for your help!

Oh and 7-Mile was one of the beaches we were considering so that's good to know - thanks!

She is five. We have one at home; she wears it all the time and actually prefers it. I thought if they would be available we could just rent rather than packing to save room. But we will bring it to be sure we have it. Thanks for your help!

Oh and 7-Mile was one of the beaches we were considering so that's good to know - thanks!

Since you have one that fits her, I would not chance it. Something too big would add risk, not safety.

Have a great cruise!

I would not count on being able to rent a life jacket for your daughter. If you feel she needs one, you should bring your own. Awkward to pack, space consuming but only you can evaluate the real need for it.

Any chance of her starting swim lessons before your cruise? I'm not being nasty or smart mouthed..... I really mean it. Can you imagine her pride if she is able to take a few strokes on 7 miles beach in Grand Cayman? What family excitement for all of you.

Have a great cruise.

She has had swim lessons and does ok in a pool, but she is only 5, and I don't feel comfortable to have her not have a life jacket in the ocean. Plus we leave tomorrow, lol! It will just have to take the extra space and we'll make it work. Thanks, guys!

When we took our then 2 and 4 yr olds to Hawaii we packed their life jackets. We were like the only ones on the beach with them , but, they were a great idea. Our kids would get knocked over easily in the low surf,, so just knowing they woud float to the top if it happened was peace of mind. BUT of course, we were never more then an arm length away from them at any time ever.

Seems to me a horse collar-type inflatable vest might be what you're looking for. These are like the flotation vests on a plane. The fact that they inflate means they take up a lot less suitcase space. Snorkeling may be a challenge, but otherwise, this might fit the bill.

Archived