San Diego 10:20AM flight ??

shunga

The San Diego airport is close to the pier, however that won't help you if there is a delay in disembarking due to customs, etc. Our upcoming 'Radiance' cruise has a cruiseline recommended earliest flight time of 11:30 a.m. that day.

While this time is very close, if all goes as planned you could make it.

Depending on which airline you are traveling on, you might want to book a later flight and then when you do get to the airport after your cruise, standby for the earlier flight. We just did this last week on United (out of Vancouver though) and it worked great - no extra charge either. On Southwest this does not work out as well since you have to pay more (the non-discounted fare) if you change flights.

DaveOKC

While this time is very close, if all goes as planned you could make it.

Depending on which airline you are traveling on, you might want to book a later flight and then when you do get to the airport after your cruise, standby for the earlier flight. We just did this last week on United (out of Vancouver though) and it worked great - no extra charge either. On Southwest this does not work out as well since you have to pay more (the non-discounted fare) if you change flights.

DaveOKC

The 10:20AM is Southwest. Thought is that if we miss it we could try to get on two later SWA flights. First flight takes 4:30 to get home, next takes 5:30, and the last takes 6:30 and gets in after midnight. Still thinking. Haven't pulled the trigger.

I wouldn't risk it. It is not uncommon to have Customs/Immigration delays in San Diego, and it is also common that time of day to have to wait for 30 minutes or more in the TSA security line, esp. in the Southwest terminal. We have often seen no one allowed off the ship before 9:30AM in San Diego, even with self-disembarkation.

The 10:20AM is Southwest. Thought is that if we miss it we could try to get on two later SWA flights. First flight takes 4:30 to get home, next takes 5:30, and the last takes 6:30 and gets in after midnight. Still thinking. Haven't pulled the trigger.

Your risk is that with flights filling up there might not be seats for you. I would not take a chance with such an early flight. Delays can easily happen from the delay of personnel to clear the shi to the delay of passengers showing up at their appointed times.

I wouldn't do it even with Southwest.

Keith

Since you are on SW, missing the earlier flight and having to take a later one could be expensive, since I think you will have pay full price. I assume you are getting a good price on your original flight.

I would just take a later one and not chance it,

DaveOKC

• 2 weeks later...

Very close, shouldn't be more than 10 minutes in a cab. Security and check in is usually short at San Diego. You can probably make it but you never know, it is cutting it close.

Jen in SoCal

What are the chances of us making this flight if we self-disembark ? I hear that the airport is real close.

We disembarked yesterday, the third group to get off (other than those self-disembarking) and we were off around 9am.

Pack light so you are able to carry your own bags off and it should be doable. It sounds like you have a plan B in case there are delays.

Just a forewarning about early flights after cruise.

I got off the Statendam in San Diego on Oct 1st and nobody was able to get off ship til 11am due to immigration clearance for the passengers continueing onto the Panama Canal. Until they had all cleared immigration, no one was allowed to disembark. Many people missed their flights. Luckily, I only missed a couple of hours of sightseeing at the zoo.

Just a forewarning about early flights after cruise.

I got off the Statendam in San Diego on Oct 1st and nobody was able to get off ship til 11am due to immigration clearance for the passengers continueing onto the Panama Canal. Until they had all cleared immigration, no one was allowed to disembark. Many people missed their flights. Luckily, I only missed a couple of hours of sightseeing at the zoo.

Thanks for sharing your experience. What you have posted does happen in the various USA ports from time to time which is why I recommend to people to book flights later in the day because delays do happen and this is certainly one example of that.

Keith

Our flight is at 11:30. The last two years we were off the ship at 8:30. But, if there is a problem, my question is....do you have to buy all brand new airline tickets? Knock on wood, we have'nt missed any flights so far, so I don't know how this works. Would we lose the money for the original tickets, or would it be transferred to new ones? As long as all goes well on the flight TO the ship I'll be happy.

Our flight is at 11:30. The last two years we were off the ship at 8:30. But, if there is a problem, my question is....do you have to buy all brand new airline tickets? Knock on wood, we have'nt missed any flights so far, so I don't know how this works. Would we lose the money for the original tickets, or would it be transferred to new ones? As long as all goes well on the flight TO the ship I'll be happy.

Your "rights" are clearly stated on your contract of carriage. You would be best to review them.

The problem not being addressed, is the poster seems to think, if they miss their too early, flight, three other later flights are going to be available to them???: Sorry, but probably NOT, on cruiseship days, these flights are going to be full, and likely in an oversold situation. Seats just do NOT "roll" over to the next flight. Understand FULLY, your ticket restrictions, value with missed flights, fees, and reticketing. Finally Southwest has NO interline agreements.

I fly in and out of San Diego often. Yes it is close but if there is a convention in town or on cruise ship days I have found it to take a long time to check luggage at South west and sometimes takes awhile to get thru security.I would try for something a little later.

Archived