How does texting work on a cruise?

jilllofalltrades

We will be traveling with our two teenage boys. Of course no texting for a week could cause a teen to go into withdrawals. My thoughts are that texting can be a great way to keep up with the boys on the ship. I know that there are international charges in ports for cell phone service. But the kids seem to be able to text sometimes when there is limited or no phone service.

Check with your carrier - Verizon's is this:

Cruise Ship Coverage

• Carnival

Carnival

ConquestDestinyEcstasyElationFantasyFascinationFreedomGloryHolidayImaginationInspirationLegendLibertyMiracleParadisePrideSensationSpiritSplendorTriumphValorVictory

• Celebration Cruise Line

Celebration Cruise Line

Bahamas Celebration1

• Celebrity Cruises

Celebrity Cruises

CenturyConstellationEquinoxGalaxyInfinityMercuryMillenniumSolsticeSummit

• Crystal Cruises

Crystal Cruises

SerenitySymphony

• Cunard

Cunard

Queen Mary II1Queen Victoria1

• Disney Cruise Line

Disney Cruise Line

MagicWonder

• Holland America Line

Holland America Line

AmsterdamEurodamMaasdamNoordamOosterdamPrinsendamRotterdamRyndamStatendamVeendamVolendamWesterdamZaandamZuiderdam

• MSC

MSC

LiricaOrchestra

• Norwegian Cruise Lines

Norwegian Cruise Lines

DawnGemJadeJewelMajestyPearlSkySpiritStarSun

• Oceania Cruise Lines

Oceania Cruise Lines

InsigniaNauticaRegatta

• Princess Cruises

Princess Cruises

Coral Princess1Crown Princess1Dawn Princess1Diamond Princess1Emerald Princess1Golden Princess1Grand Princess1Island Princess1Pacific Princess1Royal Princess1Ruby Princess1Sapphire Princess1Sea Princess1Star Princess1Sun Princess1Tahitian Princess1

• Regent Seven Seas

Regent Seven Seas

MarinerNavigatorPaul GauginVoyager

• Royal Caribbean

Royal Caribbean

Adventure of the SeasBrilliance Of The SeasEnchantment of the SeasExplorer of the SeasFreedom of the SeasGrandeur of the SeasIndependence of the SeasJewel of the SeasLegend of the SeasLiberty of the SeasMajesty of the SeasMariner of the SeasMonarch of the SeasNavigator of the SeasRadiance of the SeasRhapsody of the SeasSerenade of the SeasSovereign of the SeasSplendour of the SeasVision of the SeasVoyager of the Seas

• Seabourn

Seabourn

LegendPrideSpirit

• Silversea

Silversea

CloudPrince AlbertShadowWhisperWind

• Semester at Sea

Semester at Sea

Explorer1

• Windstar

Windstar

Wind Spirit1Wind Star1Wind Surf

Voice Roaming Rate:

$2.49 per minute

Text Messaging Rates:

$0.50/address sent

$0.05/message received

Global Email Monthly Rate:

$69.99/mo or $64.99/mo

(with Voice Plan) for Unlimited email

Global Email Pay Per Use Rate:

$0.02/KB ($20.48/MB)

GlobalAccess Pay Per Use Rate:

$0.02/KB ($20.48/MB)International Dialing:

Dialing Internationally: 011 + Country Code + Number

Dialing to the U.S.: 011 + 1 + Number

1Voice and Text Messaging only. Global Email and

GlobalAccess service not available

We will be traveling with our two teenage boys. Of course no texting for a week could cause a teen to go into withdrawals. My thoughts are that texting can be a great way to keep up with the boys on the ship. I know that there are international charges in ports for cell phone service. But the kids seem to be able to text sometimes when there is limited or no phone service.

We made our son give up his phone for the week - just as we do. Amazingly enough, he did not die. He even had fun!

I sent & received some texts on Freedom last week. Shortly after sending the first message I got this text from Verizon (my carrier).

Welcome to VZW Cruise Ship Service. Calls are $2.49 per min. Text Msg are $0.50 to send & $0.05 to receive. Email is Pay Per Use only $0.02/KB.

I didn't use it much, but it's a good deal for doing Facebook updates, etc.

When we took our DS on a cruise we all had our cell phones and we did text back and forth. It worked great when he was somewhere else on the ship, we would shoot him a text telling him where to meet us. It was .50 per text in and out (we have AT&T). He was not allowed to text his friends during the cruise and he even told all his friends not to text while he was gone and amazingly they all listened!

Thank you very much for the info. We would not allow text to and from friends. Disobeying would need cruise related reprecussions. Make them sit with us at the piano bar for sing alongs for one hour.:p I would like to keep tabs on the kids though. Even though the boys are 12 and 17, I'm not nuts about them running willy nilly around the ship.

Just to let you know, my neighbors recently returned from a cruise with their teens and came home to a phone bill of over $470 for texting. They are the kinds of kids who text over 200 times a day. Just make sure the boys know about texting and the costs.

We made our son give up his phone for the week - just as we do. Amazingly enough, he did not die. He even had fun!
Yep, we store all the phones in the safe for most of the trip. No need for them.

However, on our next trip we'll have more kids. I think I'll let them take their phones when we go ashore -- just in case our group is separated. If that should happen, I wouldn't mind paying the fees.

I think AT&T's rate is $2.49 per min for talking, $.50 for outgoing text, incoming is free, and $1.49 for photo or video text. Check your plan to be sure, or check with your provider.

We have AT&T. The rate for talking depends on the country; it's less expensive if you sign up for an international plan. You should check with your service provider.

Personally, the phones would be gone for the week. I know I have a child that sends out at least 200 texts a day. At .50 a day, that could add up.

I agree they all can live without phones and texting for a week. We'd make a different plan to keep in touch. After all, if you arrange a meeting place, you actually are keeping in physical touch. If they just text, you really have no idea where they are.

all 4 of us are txt happy and cell phone addicts and I can honestly say I am looking forward to not being connected for 4 days.

..well maybe I'll sneak in a facebook update to rub it in to all my friends that I'm sipping a DOD and they are at work.. :D f

That's one reason I book cruises - to get DW from work related phone calls, texts and computers for a week or so. Only time she can relax and enjoy. Phone gets shut off at check-in and turned on when we get back. Laptop does not get brought at all.....

Pre arranged meeting times and places and post it notes will save you a fortune. Kids. You spend the first 4 or 5 years teaching them to walk and talk. Once that is done you spend the next 10 to 12 years trying to get them to sit down and shut up. Lock the phones in the safe. Child abuse of this kind is very acceptable. Harry :cool:

Lock the phones in the safe. Child abuse of this kind is very acceptable. Harry :cool:

I'm of the belief that letting a kid text that much is the real child abuse! I see so many kids coming out of college today who are simply unable to put a coherent sentence together because all they can do is type in "txt spk"! Any kid who's sending 200 texts per day has a problem and needs parental intervention!!!

I agree they all can live without phones and texting for a week. We'd make a different plan to keep in touch. After all, if you arrange a meeting place, you actually are keeping in physical touch. If they just text, you really have no idea where they are.

Good Point Also, one point to consider is the kids jumping into the pool with a phone in their pocket is considerably greater on a cruise ship.

• 3 weeks later...

i'd be taking up all cell phones and shutting them off....i'd bring along walkie talkies, a pen and sticky notes or something else.

had my child(ren) ran up a $400+ phone bill....omg! i hate to think what i would do...

but i don't allow texting...it's all disabled on our phones...if we have something to say, we call. it's difficult to get teens to form a decent sentance nowadays anyways....look at me, i don't even capitalize or use proper grammar myself lol...

This subject comes up a lot on the boards. Your provider can only give you information regarding what they charge -- not what you will be charged for accessing the signal on your cruise ship. I've read so many stories of huge bills because of misinformation from Verizon, AT&T, etc. etc. etc.

The best thing to do is put the phones in the safe in your cabin. Only use them in case of emergency. This issue is much more complex that it seems on the surface. :o

Archived